I regularly get asked this, or a variation of this question. So, let me try to explain what it is and how to use NJoy’s Long & Healthy Pre-Poo & Seal in your hair growth journey.
At NJoy Essentials, our main goal is to help you to grow your hair longer, healthier, faster…naturally. But to achieve this, we must also consider length retention. Your hair will grow. But to grow long, you must retain and accumulate length. Therefore, we now offer, as a response to your demands, our pre-poo treatment and seal to nourish and strengthen the length of your hair. When you shine, we shine. Now…
What is a Pre-poo?
A pre-poo, simply put, is a pre-shampoo treatment designed to protect the hair from the harsh cleansing process of shampoo. The cleansing process, while necessary, can be stressful on our delicate strands. Shampoo can strip hair of vital oils, leaving strands dry, rough and prone to tangles.
NJoy’s Long & Healthy Pre-Poo is made up of oils that penetrate, nourish and strengthen the the hair and helps the hair maintain necessary moisture during the drying shampoo process. By adding this extra layer of conditioning protection, when the hair is shampoo’d, it’s natural oils are protected as only the extra added oils, which had served their purposes during the treatment period, are washed by the shampoo.
Additionally, pre-poo’g with NJoy’s Long & Healthy Pre-Poo greatly reduces hydral fatigue, which is the expanding and contracting of hair as water enters and exits, and helps to maintain the structural integrity of the cuticle and cortex. And finally, pre-poo’g also makes hair easier to detangle, which results in less breakage when it’s combed. And isn’t that what we all want?
How to use:
To use as an overnight pre-poo
Gently finger detangle the hair while applying Pre-poo oil to cover your hair and scalp completely, paying special attention to your ends. Cover with a plastic cap, then an optional hair scarf. Leave the treatment in overnight and then shampoo and style as normal.
For same day treatments
Gently finger detangle the hair while applying Pre-poo oil to cover your hair and scalp completely, paying special attention to your ends. Cover with a plastic cap and leave on for 15-20. Remove the cap and shampoo and style as normal.
To increase the effectiveness
Use with steam heat. This can be done in one of two ways.
- After applying Pre-poo and plastic cap, sit under a hooded dryer for 15-20 minutes. Your scalp’s trapped heat will cause a steaming effect that will allow the oil to penetrate more deeply and more efficiently.
- Or, After applying Pre-poo and plastic cap, sit without a plastic cap beneath a hair steamer for 10-15 minutes. Again, the steam will allow the oil to penetrate more deeply into the hair shaft.
To use as an oil rinse
For soft, moisturized, easy to detangle hair that feels strong and healthy, NJoy’s Long & Healthy Pre-poo can be used as an oil rinse.
An oil rinse is applied in the same manner as a Pre-poo but instead of washing it out with shampoo, which strips the extra oils, the hair is rinsed with warm and then cool water and then cowashed. Cowashing is using a rinse out conditioner to wash without stripping instead of a shampoo.
The hair is still cleansed. Both dirt and excess oil adheres to the conditioner and is then rinsed out without stripping. This leaves the hair well-moisturized but strengthened and easy to detangle.
After applying the conditioner, and prior to rinsing it out, gently detangle the hair with a wide-toothed comb for amazing slip.
This can be done as often as daily. Give it a try! I think you’ll be pleased an happy to make this a part of your regular regimen.
What is a Moisture Seal?
Simply put, a seal locks moisture into the strands of hair. This combats breakage from dryness, which is particularly a problem with African-American hair, and leaves the hair more supple and with better movement.
NJoy’s Long & Healthy Pre-poo & Seal Oil goes a step further by using oils that penetrate to strengthen and bring incredible shine and health to the hair.
How to use as a seal:
- Water is the best moisture so, freshly washed hair should be left slightly damp, or dry hair should be misted with water or a water-based moisturizer.
- Apply NJoy’s Seal Oil to the palms of your hands and rub together and then onto the hair, lightly coating the strands. This seals the water or water-based moisture into your hair, preventing it from drying out through evaporation. The oil also penetrates the strand, binding to the cortex and strengthening it. The ceramides in the oil act like a strengthening protein but is not so, those with protein sensitivities will receive the protein-like strengthening benefits without worries. The oil also penetrates to infuse the moisturizing and conditioning properties of olive oil. Note that not all oils penetrate and the combo used in our oil also contains a rich oil that simply seals everything in.
- A whipped hair butter (such as our “Better Ends Butter” and “Whipped Creams”) or other emulsified styling cream can be added on top and styled as usual.