The caramel hair treatment uses natural ingredients to moisturize and soften as well as add shine and manageability to various hair textures.
1/3 cup of Honey (An excellent humectant. Great for moisture)
1/3 cup of Olive (Penetrates and nourishes the hair shaft and helps with moisture retention)
2-3 pureed* overripe Bananas (Good for moisture and some protein benefits as well)
1/4 cup of Molasses (Another excellent humectant with some protein benefits)
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (Adjusts the pH to lay cuticles flat. Imparts shine or sheen)
4 oz of Coconut Milk (Promotes hair growth and is a great moisturizer)
1 tsp of Wheat germ oil – (For added strength and lubrication. Excellent ceramide)
- Mix all the ingredients into a blender and process until smooth. Make sure that there are no bits of banana visible in the mixture
- Part the hair into four sections and clip each section up to keep it separate. You will apply the treatment section by section.
- Apply the Carmel Treatment from the root to the ends of each section. Continue this procedure for the remaining sections.
- Cover hair with a plastic conditioning cap. Leave the treatment on for one to four hours.
- To remove the treatment from hair, rinse well with warm water followed by cool water. An inexpensive rinse-out conditioner (such as V05, Suave Naturals or Aussie Moist) can be used to help “wash” the treatment out of the hair.
- Bananas should be pureed well to avoid banana pieces left in the hair, or you’ll be picking pieces out of your hair for days. If you are not using a food processor, real bananas baby food can be used as a substitute.
- The treatment can be used with a steamer for half the processing time. The humectants will grab and lock in the moisture from the steam making this a wonderful way to process this treatment.
- The treatment will be very drippy but well worth the effort. Be sure to wrap a towel around your neck to catch drips.
- It’s called the Carmel Treatment because when it’s all mixed up, it looks like carmel.
This is a wonderful, moisturizing deep conditioning treatment. Give it a try and let me know how you like it. ~NJoy