Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

Just washed my hair today. I was hoping to do a rod set but, lately I've just been so tired. Some nights I'd stay up late so I'd be extra sleepy the following night. Today, I'm just feeling wiped out. I know this is because hubby has been out of town this week and that leaves me to take care of everything. All that to say, no rod set, even tho I just bought six packs. I also have curlformers that I have yet to use too so, maybe I'm just hair lazy when it comes to styling. IDK.

Robyn, I think a lot of ladies are doing crochet braids lately. At least, that's what I'm seeing. But if it got you 2 inches, it sounds like a great protective style. I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do with my hair for the winter. I usually just do a lot of beanies and occasional wigs. I like to have access to my hair.

Cheyjuan How are you wearing your hair during your transition? That line of demarcation is finicky. It definitely needs to stay moisturized and you need low manipulation styles - especially if it's breaking every time you touch it. Rereading your original post, you mentioned that your new growth is doing fine but the rest of the hair has suffered damage from heat and bleaching AND you've been doing BKT's. So, I can understand the added protein in your regimen. I think you just subjected your hair to a lot of abuse but, you're well on your way to recovery. Since you're transitioning, there's no need to be crazy obsessed about the damaged hair. That's going to go eventually anyway. And with transitioning, it's inevitable that you lose hair. The new growth is absolutely going to have your ends looking crazy BUT, that's a good thing. Your real focus should be on that healthy, delicious new growth AND low manipulation hair styles.

Since your hair seems to be low porosity, if you can deep condition with steam, that might get moisture on the inside better. If you don't have a steamer, you can always put on a plastic cap and then sit under a hooded dryer to get a greenhouse steam effect.

I'm looking forward to your hair flourishing too. Please take lots of pictures because as your hair gets longer, there will be a drastic change that will make awesome comparison pics. Keep growing, girl. I can't wait!!
    Let's grow some hair!!

Thanks

I love that feeling of new length in the shower. But after the hair is dry it reverts leaving me looking like Don King's long lost daughter and HIGHLY upset. Shrinkage is REAL, even for us relaxed sistas. (SIGH!)

I plan to go see her in the new year. She also is a wig maker and makes prosthetic wigs for alopecia and cancer patients.

I'm a Texas girl born and raised, home of the brisket and cheese enchiladas on the same plate sometimes . San Antonio is my hometown.

I also have Curlformers and I LOVE them! They give me such soft curls and I get compliments each time I wear the curls. They are pricey and they can make you feel real lazy about putting them in but they are the business. I myself am about to put them in due to an upcoming job fair & to give my curly sue wigs a break. Any more wig wearing and my real hair's gonna send out a search party.
    Last edited by mz_robyn; 11-14-2014 at 08:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mz_robyn View Post
    I love that feeling of new length in the shower. But after the hair is dry it reverts leaving me looking like Don King's long lost daughter and HIGHLY upset. Shrinkage is REAL, even for us relaxed sistas. (SIGH!)

I plan to go see her in the new year. She also is a wig maker and makes prosthetic wigs for alopecia and cancer patients.

I'm a Texas girl born and raised, home of the brisket and cheese enchiladas on the same plate sometimes . San Antonio is my hometown.

I also have Curlformers and I LOVE them! They give me such soft curls and I get compliments each time I wear the curls. They are pricey and they can make you feel real lazy about putting them in but they are the business. I myself am about to put them in due to an upcoming job fair & to give my curly sue wigs a break. Any more wig wearing and my real hair's gonna send out a search party.
    You are too funny. @Don King. Exactly!!! hahaha

I've used curlformers (borrowed from a friend before investing in my own) while I was transitioning. I LOVED the curls that it gave. But, uh...it took me forever to put them in and I tried to sleep in them overnight. THAT was a hot mess. So, yeah. That laziness is real. I hope you post a pic. That may motivate me to give it a go too.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NJoy View Post
    Just washed my hair today. I was hoping to do a rod set but, lately I've just been so tired. Some nights I'd stay up late so I'd be extra sleepy the following night. Today, I'm just feeling wiped out. I know this is because hubby has been out of town this week and that leaves me to take care of everything. All that to say, no rod set, even tho I just bought six packs. I also have curlformers that I have yet to use too so, maybe I'm just hair lazy when it comes to styling. IDK.

Robyn, I think a lot of ladies are doing crochet braids lately. At least, that's what I'm seeing. But if it got you 2 inches, it sounds like a great protective style. I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do with my hair for the winter. I usually just do a lot of beanies and occasional wigs. I like to have access to my hair.

Cheyjuan How are you wearing your hair during your transition? That line of demarcation is finicky. It definitely needs to stay moisturized and you need low manipulation styles - especially if it's breaking every time you touch it. Rereading your original post, you mentioned that your new growth is doing fine but the rest of the hair has suffered damage from heat and bleaching AND you've been doing BKT's. So, I can understand the added protein in your regimen. I think you just subjected your hair to a lot of abuse but, you're well on your way to recovery. Since you're transitioning, there's no need to be crazy obsessed about the damaged hair. That's going to go eventually anyway. And with transitioning, it's inevitable that you lose hair. The new growth is absolutely going to have your ends looking crazy BUT, that's a good thing. Your real focus should be on that healthy, delicious new growth AND low manipulation hair styles.

Since your hair seems to be low porosity, if you can deep condition with steam, that might get moisture on the inside better. If you don't have a steamer, you can always put on a plastic cap and then sit under a hooded dryer to get a greenhouse steam effect.

I'm looking forward to your hair flourishing too. Please take lots of pictures because as your hair gets longer, there will be a drastic change that will make awesome comparison pics. Keep growing, girl. I can't wait!!

THANK YOU! Sorry I literally just turned in a project for school. I don't know what BKTs are. Keratin treatments are supposed to fade and wash out over time so hopefully that holds true and with grace. I will post some photos today. I also was wondering if that is because (the low porosity) the keratin sits on top of your hair like polyurethane and it may not be able to receive moisture in the same way for now. There also may be some oil on it because I try to do an oil rinse when I can, I just did one now and I don't wash it out completely. My hair feels much better when I do that so i will try that test again day after tomorrow if I can help it. I did the strand rub, when you run your fingers up the strand and i felt bumps along the way and curlynikki (where I got directions from before you posted it, I ran into a long on pinterest that said to try those, she was saying that if you feel bumps your porosity is high because your little shingles are up. I'm going to do it again. I never had problems like this before and I've been bleaching for years but who knows. I don;t have a steamer but I do wear the cap in the shower. I'm trying rollers today and my hair isn't dry just yet on the blonde areas (so that's why I think it may be the keratin because the new growth is). I just don't know hahaha. I want to try the Curlformers. Everyone loves them and I appreciate the posts. I feel better when I see them, this is a great forum. My hair looks dry and brittle and I thought when I did the strand test that it would break right away, especially with how frizzy it is now. It doesn't feel gummy, it feels stringy when I don't do an oil rinse and DRY. That's me in the gray dress on the end (in the photo with 3 people a few years ago. My hair is usually this length but has been getting thinner. 2 of the photos are failed Bantu Knot outs, the one with the fish is a wash and go 3 hours later because it always looks horrible. The one in the white shirt is me on my last length check, the one in the white tank and leopard bow is me after a fresh wash. Shrinkage is real and my top part just doesn't curl and they barely stay everywhere else. Any time I even touch my curls they fall (even to do a loc or gel after a wash to maintain moisture). *sigh* :/. unnamed-8.jpgunnamed-9.jpg1934320_1023596590902_7146_n.jpgIMG_4486.jpgunnamed-3.jpg

Thanks

HI NJoy and everyone ! I'm just updating on my growth. Its been about a month and a half using the oil and massaging daily with my box braids. It looks like I have grown about an inch or more. I'm about to take my box braids out this week ,, so excited to see the growth,, I may, or may not relax this week ... not sure yet but I have attached pics on my newgrowth , which is crazyyyy !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

@ RebeccaAlana,

WOW that is some awesome growth! What is your hair length goal?

Thanks

Smile Re: NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

Quote Originally Posted by mz_robyn View Post
    @ RebeccaAlana,

WOW that is some awesome growth! What is your hair length goal?
    Well I'm currently almost shoulder lenghth,, im hopping to be armpit or mid back by my 1 year anniversarry (Sept 2015!) That's plenty of time to reach that. Hope I get there !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaalana View Post
    hi njoy and everyone ! I'm just updating on my growth. Its been about a month and a half using the oil and massaging daily with my box braids. It looks like i have grown about an inch or more. I'm about to take my box braids out this week ,, so excited to see the growth,, i may, or may not relax this week ... Not sure yet but i have attached pics on my newgrowth , which is crazyyyy !!
    beautiful!!!!

Thanks

Mz. NJoy...

I saw in one of the testimonials that there might be a pomade in development. I was wondering whatever came of it? I would love a pomade!

From the site...
    "I've definitely seen growth from using your product. I only wish that it was more of a hair grease than oil. I hate the feeling of oil dripping on my head.

For that reason, I'm rating it a 4 because there's room for improvement.

NJoy's Response:

Thank you for your feedback. First, if you're feeling oil dripping, you're using too much and/or not massaging it in well enough. Remember, a little goes a long way.

Also, I do plan to release a growth pomade soon. It has been requested and developed. I'm working on packaging now. Keep you eye out for the announcement! It's coming soon!"

Thanks

Unhappy Re: NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

Hi RebeccaAlana

Fancy being my hair length twin?

We have about the same length hair. I am almost shoulder length although my hair is in layers.

We have about the same goals for next year too!

A bit of healthy competition and encouragement but spur me on a bit because I get very lazy about doing much to my hair!