Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 297

Thread: NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,247
    Blog Entries
    65
    Thanks
    512
    Thanked 331 Times in 260 Posts

    Re: Brand New NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

    Quote Originally Posted by Grohairgro View Post
    Hi

    I am just joining too.

    I am based in the UK and have just done a homemade version of sulfur and essential oils which I'm not sure I'm getting on with it. Feels like breathing in chemicals while I'm sleeping

    Anyway my hair is just in between neck and shoulder length. My short term goal is to get it to collarbone length.

    I have just started to keep my hair in large plaits for 3 wks of the month. I have been natural for 18 mths now but I am always getting tangles so this might help me to grow my hair.

    Anyway I'm pleased to finally joined a forum. LHCF seemed a bit too intimidating for now.

    I am hoping I can retain 6 inches between now and next Xmas 2015.

    I know it is possible. 😃
    Welcome Grohairgro! I'm looking forward to growing with you. 6 inches by Christmas 2015 sounds like a very doable goal. So, let's do it!
    Let's grow some hair!!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,247
    Blog Entries
    65
    Thanks
    512
    Thanked 331 Times in 260 Posts

    Re: Brand New NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

    Hola, ladies. I cowashed my hair last night. Trying to stick to my schedule of washing (or cowashing) at least 2x a week. My intention was to do a rod set but, it was late and my hair laziness got the best of me.

    I must say, I do love wash days. I look forward to the water on my scalp, the underwater massage while cleansing my scalp and the feel of my hair growing down my back. When I was relaxed, this was something that I could count on to help me to visualize longer hair. The water extended the feeling of the length of my hair so, feeling the water at the longer length would make me feel as tho my hair was at that length. I'd move my head around so that I could feel the new length and my hair grew like crazy. So, I'm njoying the same process now that I'm natural.

    Sure, when it was shorter, I didn't get the full advantage of the hangtime but, full of conditioner, the hair is extra heavy and I'd imagine that extra weight was longer hair...just shrunken. But if I stretched it out... woohoo! So any hang because of the weight would only mean that my hair was longer, thicker and healthier. And so it was.

    So now, I put up a small fog-free mirror in my shower. I have it positioned so that I can see my hair going down my back but, never the ends. That way, I can visualize that my hair continues on. I'm tippy-toeing now and still not seeing the ends. I LOVE that! Because while I'm doing that, I'm reminding myself that my hair is shrunken an waaaaaay longer than what I see or even feel in the shower.

    I admire my hair and remind myself that my hair is growing long, thick and healthy because I'm taking good care of it. And cleansing and conditioning it certainly is caring for it.

    Just thought I'd share that. Stay positive. What you see today is part of the journey of getting where you expect to be later. Love and bless your hair. And most importantly, be thankful and expect only the best.

    What do you LOVE about wash day?
    Let's grow some hair!!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to NJoy For This Useful Post:

    Jayla (04-07-2015)

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: Brand New NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

    Hi! I'm new here. My name is Chey-Juan. I just purchased a few products from the Essentials line. My hair has always been a little dry but I'm suffering from breakage so much that I've lost about 4 inches in overall length not to mention a great deal in volume. Since deciding to go natural after my last keratin treatment in July, I've seen an increase in growth! I easily have my 4 inches but you can't even tell because of breakage it remains around the same length as before starting my journey. Although I've gained that in such little time, I see very little length gain. I am used to my hair being 2-3 inches past the bottom of my bra strap, my hair now comes about 1 1/2 in above bsl. So you see, I have a problem with breakage...a big one. Every time I rub product in I have short hairs sticking to my fingers from the breakage. Tons of them. I'm here to grow my hair long and strong!!! I'm on such a journey in every area of my life and I want everything to be its best as I wish for myself to be my best..self. I'm a student again yay! My hair goal is to be healthy! My hair is a mix of black at the roots and new growth of course and blonde. I've been dying my hair forever and I've been blonde since 2010. I'm not going to dye it although, in my opinion it wasn't the best job, for at least a year. July was my last time. My ultimate goal is tbl for the full head. You see, in all of my breakage I have a 50/50 hair length. My top and front varies between chin to shoulder while the rest falls down my back. I wish to reach bbsl (lol I made that acronym up to be below bottom of bra strap length aka where it usually is by January) after that, I'd like to grow four more inches to wl by April and hl by July (4 more inches on me) and finally in a year I intend to have STRONG, beautiful tbl hair. I gave myself the extra time in the fall so that hopefully when I even it out, it would have grown from below wl to hl/tbl by November from July. Tbl is an ultimate goal but wl is a big nod and was my initial goal until about 2 weeks ago. Hl is an even larger one.

    I'm here to learn about hair care. I depended on others to take care of my hair (although I only went to the salon 4 times a year then twice a year, I thought "how hard could it be?" But I was doing things all wrong. I research everyday and it nearly seems to be an obsession. I love my hair, my body and spirit. I can do this and so can you!!! I appreciate any advice given and of course motivation. It gets hard sometimes, especially when you're used to a wrap-it's like a brush and go lol! I am thankful for what I have and that's why I have to learn to take care of it. I will post photos as soon as I can. My twist and braid outs never work out lol and my wash and gos only last a day and I have a 50/59 chance of them looking decent.

    My hair type is 3c/4a and in the middle and over the ears is about a 4b and THICK! In fact, it suffered the most breakage because until now, I didn't even comb it correctly. It would just tangle right back up and I would fry it away and I didn't even know it. I didn't know I was burning my hair I thought it was the product causing my hair to fall out everywhere. I haven't gotten rid of all of my breakage, obviously but believe it or not, it's a lot better. I lost obviously 3-4 in and now I lose an inch. It's heartbreaking but at least I'm not worst off. I know to be thankful always. My hair seems stringy sometimes and doesn't hold its curls for long especially in the front, the back is awesome and soft and beautifully curled. I intend to try curlformers in the future (when I can afford it). I can't even readily put my hair in a ponytail because it looks so small and thin when left naturally curly and my buns are so small (and my new growth is thick so I look like I have a big head and no hair, especially since I try not to brush or even touch the curls so they stay in). I always look crazy but that's ok I'll get there again .

    I use:
    Big wide tooth comb with a handle
    NJoy hair growth oil (daily) pre poo/seal (at least 2 per week or whenever I seal), and detox (1 per week). I think I use too much and although I read everything I'm not sure I use them correctly. I never know if I'm evenly applying anything and my scalp and hair still feels dry but when I wait a bit then it runs so...I don't know. The detox is amazing though! One wash and there was my volume! (The keratin takes that look away)
    Evoo-always
    Acv
    Palmers coconut oil protein pack 1/mo
    Diy protein 2/mo (1 egg, evoo, acv, conditioner, mayo, yogurt, honey, lemon juice)
    Natural shae butter to seal
    Eco styling gel when braiding etc
    Shae moisture purifying masque (1 per mo) and weekly repair conditioner (1 per week)
    Cantu leave in repair conditioner
    Theorie Argan ultimate repair conditioner (not sure if it's a deep conditioner)
    When I straighten only once a mo for length checks I use keratin perfect silk conditioner

    I also invert 1/mo for 7 days

    I'm currently sitting sideways in front of the personal heater w my conditioning cap on (no dryer or steamer) and my detox in, protein, evoo, light conditioner, and light acv on scalp. This is my second time using the detox and my hair was so dry I needed to try something. I don't know what I'm doing but I'm trying!

    Good luck to everyone! Tbl here I come!
    Last edited by Cheyjuan; 11-10-2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Typos

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheyjuan For This Useful Post:

    Jayla (04-07-2015), NJoy (11-10-2014)

  6. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,247
    Blog Entries
    65
    Thanks
    512
    Thanked 331 Times in 260 Posts

    Re: Brand New NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

    Welcome Cheyjuan. Sounds like you have a lot going on and a lot planned ahead of you. But the best part is that you have positive expectations for your journey. That's awesome.

    I'm seeing this post pretty late but I do have some suggestions I'd like to share. But, I have to get some sleep for now. I'll be back to share tomorrow. In the meantime, welcome and I look forward to growing with you.
    Let's grow some hair!!

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: Brand New NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

    Quote Originally Posted by NJoy View Post
    Welcome Cheyjuan. Sounds like you have a lot going on and a lot planned ahead of you. But the best part is that you have positive expectations for your journey. That's awesome.

    I'm seeing this post pretty late but I do have some suggestions I'd like to share. But, I have to get some sleep for now. I'll be back to share tomorrow. In the meantime, welcome and I look forward to growing with you.


    THANK YOU! I'm trying not to have any expectations but I set so many benchmark goals to keep me motivated and accountable (I don't want this to be like a New Years resolution that is dropped in a matter of minutes lol). I really appreciate your response and positivity instead of saying "you can't do that. It's crazy that you're wasting all of that time. And my favorite: *look* you're brave to say that out loud *chuckles*". I haven't said it aloud but one time but these are the things I see and hear when I talk about naturalness even in my family. Natural isn't cute unless you have 3a or less curlier hair. I mean it's perfect as long as you straighten it or know what you're doing with the curls. I get crazy looks for my hair, even my husband with all of his love and support told me I just needed to get my hair done and that's why I have "different hair than when we met bc when we met, it was better" he doesn't know or mean harm but it makes me feel...not so comfortable but that's ok I'm growing! Thank you. I'd appreciate any help I can get. !

  8. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,247
    Blog Entries
    65
    Thanks
    512
    Thanked 331 Times in 260 Posts

    Re: Brand New NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyjuan View Post
    THANK YOU! I'm trying not to have any expectations but I set so many benchmark goals to keep me motivated and accountable (I don't want this to be like a New Years resolution that is dropped in a matter of minutes lol). I really appreciate your response and positivity instead of saying "you can't do that. It's crazy that you're wasting all of that time. And my favorite: *look* you're brave to say that out loud *chuckles*". I haven't said it aloud but one time but these are the things I see and hear when I talk about naturalness even in my family. Natural isn't cute unless you have 3a or less curlier hair. I mean it's perfect as long as you straighten it or know what you're doing with the curls. I get crazy looks for my hair, even my husband with all of his love and support told me I just needed to get my hair done and that's why I have "different hair than when we met bc when we met, it was better" he doesn't know or mean harm but it makes me feel...not so comfortable but that's ok I'm growing! Thank you. I'd appreciate any help I can get. !
    100 yrs later...

    I definitely think that you can turn your hair around, get it in its best condition and grow it long. Honey, if you had seen the condition of my hair before I started my healthy hair growth journey. And I didn't know anything about taking good care of it. If I needed it done, I'd go have it done. Otherwise, I'd use heat like crazy trying to get it looking decent. My hair was breaking so much that I kept a dust buster in my bathroom to vacuum up all the broken hairs. But hey, my hair was thick and that hid a lot of damage so, those broken hairs didn't bother me. But, enough about me...

    So, I was looking over your regimen last night and am wondering if you are using too much protein. Maybe protein overload is greatly contributing to your breakage. I suggest you do a wet assessment to check your hair's protein-moisture balance. And, while you're at it, check your porosity.

    To check porosity, take a strand of clean shed hair and place it in a glass of water. If the strand floats and stays on top or slowly sinks after a long period of time, you may have low porosity. This means that your cuticles are tightly closed and your hair has a hard time absorbing moisture. If it sinks pretty quickly, then you have high porosity. This means that your cuticles are not laying flat, are open or damaged from abuse. This prevents the hair from retaining moisture. If it's somewhere in between, then you have normal porosity.

    With low porosity, you'll have to lift your cuticles to get moisture inside. If you have high porosity, you'll need to use heavy sealing to seal moisture in. Also, when wet, it absorbs too much water, which can also cause damage. Find out which you have and we'll talk how to modify your regimen.

    To check you protein moisture balance, take a wet strand of shed hair. Gently pull it to stretch it. You're not trying to use hard pressure to break it. Any hair will break under strong pressure. You're checking to see how much give your hair has. If it stretches a lot, sort of like a rubber band, before breaking, then your hair needs more protein for structure. If you don't pull it enough to break but it remains stretched out, you also need more protein. If it doesn't have much give and breaks quickly, then you need moisture. Protein overload makes your hair stronger but inflexible so, any pull or pressure causes it to snap off, like a twig. If it stretches a bit and returns to it's normal size when you release it. Or, if it stretches a reasonable amount before breaking, then your hair is in balance. Keep doing what you're doing.

    It's easy to get protein overload because we think that if our hair is breaking, we need to strengthen it. But really, we need to stop and figure out WHY it's breaking. Protein overload takes more time to correct than moisture overload but, it will make a huge difference.

    That said, please check your porosity and protein/moisture balance and let's review your regimen to see if any changes need to be made. You still reading?! Get to checking! You have some hair to grow, honey!
    Let's grow some hair!!

  9. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: Brand New NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

    Quote Originally Posted by NJoy View Post
    100 yrs later...

    I definitely think that you can turn your hair around, get it in its best condition and grow it long. Honey, if you had seen the condition of my hair before I started my healthy hair growth journey. And I didn't know anything about taking good care of it. If I needed it done, I'd go have it done. Otherwise, I'd use heat like crazy trying to get it looking decent. My hair was breaking so much that I kept a dust buster in my bathroom to vacuum up all the broken hairs. But hey, my hair was thick and that hid a lot of damage so, those broken hairs didn't bother me. But, enough about me...

    So, I was looking over your regimen last night and am wondering if you are using too much protein. Maybe protein overload is greatly contributing to your breakage. I suggest you do a wet assessment to check your hair's protein-moisture balance. And, while you're at it, check your porosity.

    To check porosity, take a strand of clean shed hair and place it in a glass of water. If the strand floats and stays on top or slowly sinks after a long period of time, you may have low porosity. This means that your cuticles are tightly closed and your hair has a hard time absorbing moisture. If it sinks pretty quickly, then you have high porosity. This means that your cuticles are not laying flat, are open or damaged from abuse. This prevents the hair from retaining moisture. If it's somewhere in between, then you have normal porosity.

    With low porosity, you'll have to lift your cuticles to get moisture inside. If you have high porosity, you'll need to use heavy sealing to seal moisture in. Also, when wet, it absorbs too much water, which can also cause damage. Find out which you have and we'll talk how to modify your regimen.

    To check you protein moisture balance, take a wet strand of shed hair. Gently pull it to stretch it. You're not trying to use hard pressure to break it. Any hair will break under strong pressure. You're checking to see how much give your hair has. If it stretches a lot, sort of like a rubber band, before breaking, then your hair needs more protein for structure. If you don't pull it enough to break but it remains stretched out, you also need more protein. If it doesn't have much give and breaks quickly, then you need moisture. Protein overload makes your hair stronger but inflexible so, any pull or pressure causes it to snap off, like a twig. If it stretches a bit and returns to it's normal size when you release it. Or, if it stretches a reasonable amount before breaking, then your hair is in balance. Keep doing what you're doing.

    It's easy to get protein overload because we think that if our hair is breaking, we need to strengthen it. But really, we need to stop and figure out WHY it's breaking. Protein overload takes more time to correct than moisture overload but, it will make a huge difference.

    That said, please check your porosity and protein/moisture balance and let's review your regimen to see if any changes need to be made. You still reading?! Get to checking! You have some hair to grow, honey!

    HI! Okay, it's so uncanny some of the things you say. I was checking my porosity probably while you were writing that and I found that my hair has low porosity (it is STILL floating since the other day so needless to say low). But my hair only takes a short time to dry actually. On the opposite end, it took me forever out of all of those strands that have come out to find a single shed hair with the bulb. After there was just one, I wet and stretched it. It felt like a rubber band but I didn't pull it too too tightly, where it would break but just enough to stretch it like I was doing a length check. The curl relaxed a bit and with each of the 4 pulls got straighter and straighter but it never went back to its original shrunken size so maybe it needs protuen I don't know.... Maybe it's balanced...? I also had a broom nearby any time I even straightened my hair (everyday). My hairs were everywhere, they still kind of are. They come out even while moisturizing it I have a hand full of short hairs each time and it gets all in the product (woof). I too wonder how you styled your hair while transitioning. The line of demarcation is daunting slightly because where the keratin is mostly it looks so thin and the top is so thick. My ponytails look ridiculous, I look almost like I have no real hair when it's left free....I don't know, but my most important issue is what we were talking about. Believe me when I say I understand where you were because for so long I knew my hair was breaking but I looked like Simba anyway so I didn't pay any mind plus I didn't know the difference between shed and broken. I feel that different sections of my hair need different things, I even feel as though there are different types of hair in there. Perhaps my hair is more damaged in some places, again just guessing. My front never curls where my bangs are, the top center is super dry and short and on the sides I can see really short hairs from breakage and burning (boo!). It just keeps snapping and I'm combing it delicately. I don't know! ��������

    Thank you so much for reading and responding. I talk so much.
    Last edited by Cheyjuan; 11-13-2014 at 07:38 PM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheyjuan For This Useful Post:

    NJoy (11-14-2014)

  11. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts

    Re: NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

    I'm not usually one to post to threads but here goes...

    Hello, everyone!

    My name is Robyn and I'm a 27 year old southern girl that has been relaxed for as long as I can remember (about 6 or 7) though I DID try to transition twice in my mid 20's. My natural texture and my comb got into too many fights so I returned to relaxers.

    I had thick hair as a young girl and teenager but then I made the mistake of letting my cousin glue some tracks into my scalp senior year in high school. TO THIS DAY my crown hasn't been the same. I then had THE MOST devastating hair setback in my life when I was 19 in 2007. My former stylist had just done my hair as usual when my mama noticed that my hair looked really thin. I was crushed when I saw my hair literally blow away in the January wind. I lost my hair all the way to the new growth. I sobbed for days after that. My stylist tried to blame it on me (Poor eating habits, re-pierced earrings, new tattoo, stress, weight gain) EVERYTHING BUT HERSELF! Then I had to endure smelly treatments that smelled like burgers and fries to regrow my hair, which took 18 months ONLY to have her cut my length off again!


    Finally after awhile (2009-2011) I had gotten my hair somewhat on even keel when I had both my father and uncle die seven months apart in 2012 and was dismayed to find that my crown had thinned and fallen out to the point of new growth. It has grown back and is thicker but is a tad bit shorter than the rest of my hair naturally. I also thought my hair loss was due to possible hypothyroidism but blood tests were always normal.

    My hair always hovers between shoulder length and collarbone length but I would LOVE for it to be APL. I don't have a set deadline just as long as I realize the goal. My regimen is as follows:

    I relax between every 3-6 months.
    I don't DC that much and I used to wash my hair every week but the hard water and laziness pushed it back to seldom. I DO use dry shampoo though. I also don't get many protein treatments.
    I trim sparingly but will cut off bad ends if need be.
    My hair LOVES heat but I don't use it that often.
    I use low manipulation styles like curls and fully protective styles like cornrows & wigs. I recently had crochet braids (I know, SO old school right?! ) and had 2" of NG all over, especially my crown! The next thing I want to try is box braids and maybe a sew in down the line but IDK as I never had a sew in before.
    I don't wrap or moisturize & seal my hair as it hates being wrapped and it also seems to break when I M&S (IDK why that happens maybe I did something wrong? )
    I used to drink Mineral Rich and take Hairfinity and prenatals or Feosol (NOT PREGNANT!) but now I am going to take S.S.S Tonic for a while then maybe some hair supplements again when the money goes from funny to honey lol.
    I bought Hair Trigger Growth Elixir & Liquid Gold but have yet to use them. I have yet to buy and try NJoy's Long & Healthy Hair Growth Oil but I will maybe in December or January.

    I hope to go to a holistic trichologist soon and will update what results came from it in a later post.

    Whew! That's my hair journey laid bare. I hope to grow not only my hair but a band of sisters around me as well.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mz_robyn For This Useful Post:

    Jayla (04-07-2015), NJoy (11-14-2014)

  13. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,247
    Blog Entries
    65
    Thanks
    512
    Thanked 331 Times in 260 Posts

    Re: Brand New NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyjuan View Post
    HI! Okay, it's so uncanny some of the things you say. I was checking my porosity probably while you were writing that and I found that my hair has low porosity (it is STILL floating since the other day so needless to say low). But my hair only takes a short time to dry actually. On the opposite end, it took me forever out of all of those strands that have come out to find a single shed hair with the bulb. After there was just one, I wet and stretched it. It felt like a rubber band but I didn't pull it too too tightly, where it would break but just enough to stretch it like I was doing a length check. The curl relaxed a bit and with each of the 4 pulls got straighter and straighter but it never went back to its original shrunken size so maybe it needs protuen I don't know.... Maybe it's balanced...? I also had a broom nearby any time I even straightened my hair (everyday). My hairs were everywhere, they still kind of are. They come out even while moisturizing it I have a hand full of short hairs each time and it gets all in the product (woof). I too wonder how you styled your hair while transitioning. The line of demarcation is daunting slightly because where the keratin is mostly it looks so thin and the top is so thick. My ponytails look ridiculous, I look almost like I have no real hair when it's left free....I don't know, but my most important issue is what we were talking about. Believe me when I say I understand where you were because for so long I knew my hair was breaking but I looked like Simba anyway so I didn't pay any mind plus I didn't know the difference between shed and broken. I feel that different sections of my hair need different things, I even feel as though there are different types of hair in there. Perhaps my hair is more damaged in some places, again just guessing. My front never curls where my bangs are, the top center is super dry and short and on the sides I can see really short hairs from breakage and burning (boo!). It just keeps snapping and I'm combing it delicately. I don't know! ��������

    Thank you so much for reading and responding. I talk so much.
    Well, it doesn't sound like protein overload. I was expecting your hair to be brittle but, you said no. When your hair is wet, does it feel mushy or super soft? And can you post pics? Let me reread what you originally said, in the meantime. Also, did you do the porosity test with clean hair. Having any product on the hair will often seal it shut. Just making sure we get the right details to figure this thing out. *where's my egghead icon*
    Last edited by NJoy; 11-14-2014 at 07:52 PM.
    Let's grow some hair!!

  14. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,247
    Blog Entries
    65
    Thanks
    512
    Thanked 331 Times in 260 Posts

    Re: NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

    Quote Originally Posted by mz_robyn View Post
    I'm not usually one to post to threads but here goes...

    Hello, everyone!

    My name is Robyn and I'm a 27 year old southern girl that has been relaxed for as long as I can remember (about 6 or 7) though I DID try to transition twice in my mid 20's. My natural texture and my comb got into too many fights so I returned to relaxers.

    I had thick hair as a young girl and teenager but then I made the mistake of letting my cousin glue some tracks into my scalp senior year in high school. TO THIS DAY my crown hasn't been the same. I then had THE MOST devastating hair setback in my life when I was 19 in 2007. My former stylist had just done my hair as usual when my mama noticed that my hair looked really thin. I was crushed when I saw my hair literally blow away in the January wind. I lost my hair all the way to the new growth. I sobbed for days after that. My stylist tried to blame it on me (Poor eating habits, re-pierced earrings, new tattoo, stress, weight gain) EVERYTHING BUT HERSELF! Then I had to endure smelly treatments that smelled like burgers and fries to regrow my hair, which took 18 months ONLY to have her cut my length off again!


    Finally after awhile (2009-2011) I had gotten my hair somewhat on even keel when I had both my father and uncle die seven months apart in 2012 and was dismayed to find that my crown had thinned and fallen out to the point of new growth. It has grown back and is thicker but is a tad bit shorter than the rest of my hair naturally. I also thought my hair loss was due to possible hypothyroidism but blood tests were always normal.

    My hair always hovers between shoulder length and collarbone length but I would LOVE for it to be APL. I don't have a set deadline just as long as I realize the goal. My regimen is as follows:

    I relax between every 3-6 months.
    I don't DC that much and I used to wash my hair every week but the hard water and laziness pushed it back to seldom. I DO use dry shampoo though. I also don't get many protein treatments.
    I trim sparingly but will cut off bad ends if need be.
    My hair LOVES heat but I don't use it that often.
    I use low manipulation styles like curls and fully protective styles like cornrows & wigs. I recently had crochet braids (I know, SO old school right?! ) and had 2" of NG all over, especially my crown! The next thing I want to try is box braids and maybe a sew in down the line but IDK as I never had a sew in before.
    I don't wrap or moisturize & seal my hair as it hates being wrapped and it also seems to break when I M&S (IDK why that happens maybe I did something wrong?
    I used to drink Mineral Rich and take Hairfinity and prenatals or Feosol (NOT PREGNANT!) but now I am going to take S.S.S Tonic for a while then maybe some hair supplements again when the money goes from funny to honey lol.
    I bought Hair Trigger Growth Elixir & Liquid Gold but have yet to use them. I have yet to buy and try NJoy's Long & Healthy Hair Growth Oil but I will maybe in December or January.

    I hope to go to a holistic trichologist soon and will update what results came from it in a later post.

    Whew! That's my hair journey laid bare. I hope to grow not only my hair but a band of sisters around me as well.
    Welcome aboard, Robyn! Thanks for sharing your hairstory. It definitely sounds like you're on a mission to grow your hair and I'm looking forward to watching you exceed your goals. The one thing that I loved about being relaxed was that I could see my new growth and my length easily. And when I was in the shower, I could feel the hair growing down my back.

    I'm looking forward to seeing what the holistic trichologist says. Keep us posted and don't be a stranger. We need a few more brave souls to speak up around here. I'm glad you did.

    Where are you in the south, btw? I'm in the Atlanta area.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •