Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

Thanks

Re: NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

Quote Originally Posted by mz_robyn View Post
    Very nicely done! How long have you been inverting & how is it working for you?
    Hi Robyn! I have been using the inversion method off and on for a year now. It really works. I get an inch every time I do it. The only thing is your body, I believe, gets used to it so you have to skip a few months in between to provide that shock to the system that it needs in order to work.

Thanks

Hi! I see there are a few guests online and I just want to say WELCOME!

It is coming down to the last few weeks of summer and I'm thinking that maybe we could check in and let everyone know how this season has gone, update us on the regimen, any length checks and future plans as far as growth for the upcoming Fall season. What do you ladies do to super charge your growth so that you can make your goals? What do you do to prepare your hair for the dry winter season? Let's talk!

For the summer, my goal was to be waist length and my year goal, tbl. I didn't make my year goal but I made WL for one section, which my hair is in layers so of course it will grow differently.

I have been seeing some breakage and had a minor setback a few days ago with SSK's. That's okay because now I have learned that with all of this new growth I've had and my hair reverting back to almost normal from the keratin, that I cannot just wash and go, I must seal my ends with something thicker like shea butter and twist them up in big twists. The smaller twists almost stick together at the ends when I take them down, creating knots galore!!

My end of the calendar year goal is HL.

My regimen is:
    Wash every 2-3 days if possible because I'm afraid of hydral fatigue (has anyone ever experienced this?)
    Moisturize and seal with:

Vatika enriched coconut oil or
    regular coconut oil
    Cantu leave in repair conditioner
    Njoy pre poo and seal on the natural hair since it is so light and has a lot of different oils
    a little bit of shea moisture anti breakage on ends with shea butter.

I bought a new conditioner that is by theorie and it is the ultimate moisturizing conditioner that helps to repair damaged or processed hair
    I will also continue to use burt's bees 2 min repair protein moisturizing conditioner on my ends/processed hair

Cold water rinse after every wash and air dry only-no heat until october, at LEAST.

I am taking the hair growth vitamins, I just finished my multi vitamins and MSM so I have to buy more. I also am still taking the B COMPLEX WITH VITAMIN C. I have resumed my daily tablespoon of Diatomaceous Earth and 1.5 liters of H2O per day at least. When it gets cool out, I would like to try bamboo leaf tea for at least a month. Anyone try that?

I have the oil and pomade so I have been using each, every other time and I use it every other day. If I use a plastic cap or apply it daily, I can't keep my curls which, really shouldn't have anything to do with it since you apply it on the scalp but I think if I use the cap, the sulfur or something makes my hair weird OR its because of the cap. And if I don't use it, my hair gets really tangled from the massaging even though I don't do it wildly or anything. I think its just because my roots are so tangle prone and the rest of the hair from half way down, has been damaged-so it doesn't behave correctly always. Anyone using the oil or pomade and had an experience they want to share?

Anyway just checking in!!
    Last edited by Cheyjuan; 08-21-2015 at 12:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hey there! So, I've decided to stop putting my hair in twists and celies as much. I do more flat twists and buns now. With twists and braids, my hair has to be moisturized and have my sheds removed every 2-3 days. I was handling that by taking a few down at a time to moisturize and remove sheds but, my life has been a little hectic lately so, there's not much time for that, which will cause my ends to curl onto themselves and then hold on for dear life. Oiling or buttering my ends takes care of that but, like I said, I haven't had much time and have had to be pretty low maintenance. The up side of that is, when I cleanse my hair in the shower, it's mostly loose so, I really get to feel the weight, the thickness and length. I LOVE IT!!!

I never would have dreamed of being able to keep up with so much natural hair. In fact, I think I sort of scared myself sometimes making a point of growing to a new length and then holding there while I get used to handling it and then moving on. I'm not saying that wasn't the right strategy because, for me, it clearly was. But the longer I get, the more I start to wonder if it's too much. This is all uncharted territory for me. I mean, getting my hair to grow is the easy part. Trying to convince myself that I'm not style lazy is more of a challenge. I kind of feel proud of it and use protective styling as my excuse.

In any case, I'm starting back with my protein drinks in the morning. Adding more protein (lean) to your diet definitely helps with growth and the quality of the hair. But, I'm also committing to working out for physical fitness. This is something that we've talked about being beneficial to growth because of increased blood circulation. At least 30 minutes of some sort of cardio exercise will work wonders. Thankfully, I found myself a workout buddy. I don't know about you but, I need that.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

What a difference 6 months made! I never woulda imagined that I would be posting pics of myself with short hair 6 months ago!

So, I went to the place that did my BC & and acted like they didn't wanna do my hair! Guess who will NEVER see me or my money again?

Then I go to Wal-Mart to have my hair done instead. I was SO happy with the growth rate and length retention! I can't wait for my anniversary January 31st 2016!

Sorry for the goofy faces!

Attachment 853 BC 1-31-15

Attachment 855 Little bit before the appointment.

Attachment 854 Freshly washed. Shrinkage is REAL! Never thought I'd have a fro, though.

Attachment 856 Blown out, ready for heat.

Attachment 857 The finished look. The ends are a bit rough (Scab hair, maybe?) and needs to be trimmed by 1/2 an inch but otherwise I am rocking a full, thick head of healthy hair! I want my hair a little bit longer before I start wearing it out so braids & wigs for me for a little while longer. It's about neck length ATM. I went from 1/4 inch hair to low neck length in 6 months. Not bad IMHO!

My 14 YO spiritual baby brother told me to throw away all my wigs as he liked my real hair better! LOL, teenagers.

Take care, ladies!
    Excellent!! Congrats, honey. KUTGW!!! (keep up the good work )

Good to SEE you too.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh, another thing that I wanted to mention about my hair is that I've been obsessed with detangling lately. It seems, at any given time, I might have 1 or 2 mini dreds in my hair. I think it had something to do with wearing twists and plaits. And, I often get the feeling that my hair actually wants to dred. I've been toying around with the idea of loc'g my hair but, what if it doesn't look right on me? I've seen some really nice locs on some ladies and some really sad locs on others. I think, just like not knowing what I'd get when I went natural, I'm a little nervous about how it would look on me.

Anyone in locs or considering locs? That might me cool.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NJoy View Post
    Oh, another thing that I wanted to mention about my hair is that I've been obsessed with detangling lately. It seems, at any given time, I might have 1 or 2 mini dreds in my hair. I think it had something to do with wearing twists and plaits. And, I often get the feeling that my hair actually wants to dred. I've been toying around with the idea of loc'g my hair but, what if it doesn't look right on me? I've seen some really nice locs on some ladies and some really sad locs on others. I think, just like not knowing what I'd get when I went natural, I'm a little nervous about how it would look on me.

Anyone in locs or considering locs? That might me cool.

My husband has locks. I thought about them last year but if they didn't look right...they do have loc removal but I'm not sure how well they work or if doing that changes the texture of your hair...not permanently but you know. And also, if a person takes them down, are the parts still there for a while? You know how you part your hair a certain way always and it naturally falls there after a few months...locs are for years so...idk I'm wondering.

Thanks

Hey ladies *crickets*! Well I've length checked my hair for my birthday and after having weeks of disastrous SSK's I've discovered only the smallest section of my hair is WL but the majority of it ranges from BSL to MBL/ and inch from the bottom of my bra strap. (Underwhelmed). Idk where my growth speed and success has gone! I'm sad but it looks very healthy and beautiful...just short from what I'm used to. Meanwhile, my husband started watching Real Housewives of Atlanta from the beginning-now I usually don't partake in such shows but this one has had me locked in. Now enters Kenya with my hair like exactly lmao-length, thickness, texture, hair dye and city of Detroit grown. This made me sad and determined. I MISS MY HAIR I started thinking so for my birthday, I dared to be less miss Celie and more like my old self and rock my Kenya hair. So even though it wasn't as long or with even layers, I felt the softness on my back and felt a little more like myself. I love my curls, don't get me wrong but I missed my laid out hair that I was always known for. I still miss it but I'm on my way. So I'm far away, it feels, from my goal (5 inches from hip, 2 maybe 2.5 from waist), I want to print out my photos and do the NJoy visualization method, watch The Secret and get back to bunning and twisting. I have to buy more multi vitamins and I miss my extra MSM and biotin because my nails actually stayed long and healthy. I'm still taking the Njoy vitamins with B vitamins w/C that I got from Rite Aid. I have a dry scalp it seems, even though I co wash every other day or at least every other-other day because my hair looks dry and old when I don't. I need a curl refresher. My scalp has danf=druff a little. I moisturize and seal with Vatika Naturals, Shea Moisture Yucca anti breakage on the ends, Cantu leave in conditioner. My gel of choice is Curl gel exclusively sold at Target...I absolutely LOVE it. Nothing makes my hair feel softer. I also use coconut oil. I still almost nightly if not nightly, use Njoy's oil or pomade on my scalp. I can't do the plastic cap with it unless I'm going to wash because my wash n go will be dry and tangled. I have NO idea why...it makes no sense. I actually use it sparingly on the scalp. I can't massage it a ton because my hair at the root tangles so much. Ah well I LOVE the burning/tingling because I know it's working. Especially since every time before I wash it I apply either the pomade or oil to the scalp and let it sit for an hour at least and then wash it out.

I've been rocking wash and go's and letting the hair dry in twists so they won't tangle even though they still REALLY do at the bottoms. I have the most beautiful curls and they, at the bottom, are cute ringlets that turn into SSN's when I go to separate the curls or comb them which breaks off the ends. Idk it doesn't feel to my like I'm getting any growth a month but who knows?The ssn problem just started about 2-3 weeks ago. I used the AMLA Legend blow-out masque and Mixed Chicks heat protectant. I did not like the heat protectant because it smelled and felt like something that was full of Alcohol but it isn't. The blowout masque smelled good and my birthday was humid so I'm not sure how fair I can be with judging it because my hair isn't heat trained anymore. I also need to think of cute hairstyles that last the whole week because I am starting back to school and attending everyday except Sun and I'm working. In December I'm hoping to be full WHIP...we shall see *side eye* lol

Anyway...How's everyone else? How are you guys preparing for fall? The rain, high winds and pumpkin everything is almost here.
    Last edited by Cheyjuan; 09-11-2015 at 08:46 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheyjuan For This Useful Post:

mz_robyn (10-29-2015)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

So yeah. Crickets is right. But I feel like everyone is talking to me directly, either via PM or emails. And that could just be because I've been away from the boards while I had a lot of craziness going on (that's busyness and mommy dramas). But, all is well. THANK YOU, LORD!!!

During my busy times, I often just leave my hair alone. I know many swear by benign neglect but, my hair no likey. I think my natural hair wants me in locs because not detangling to remove sheds at least every 2-3 days results in little mini dreds. Yep. I'm still getting used to being natural. I thought it would be good for a low maintenance person like myself. I should've known my hair, like me, would be high maintenance. So, I decided to stop playing and whip up some moisture butter and get back on track with my deep conditioning treatments. It's like night and day! My hair loves me again.

But, back to those mini locs. I have to LOL at myself because, I wasn't the most patient person with detangling. It was taking longer than I wanted to try to unravel the mini dreds so, I ended up cutting out more than I hoped. Anything that seemed dredded or knotted that took too long...snip! I kept telling myself that natural hairstyles hides a multitude of sins. I try not to sweat having to cut any parts of my hair because I know that I can easily grow it back. Now, how my hemline may look if I straighten it may be another story. LOL.

I decided to blow my hair out to see how my ends and hemline are looking. I bunned it overnight to get it to calm down a bit because it was a little puffy. I used the tension method for the blowout. I did this the night before a trip out of town. By the next morning, I had an afro. So, I really didn't get a chance to take a lot of pics. I thought I'd have more time. But that moisture in the air said "no tuhday, hunny". LOL. So, I twisted it up for a few days and then did a twist out. Did the best that I could do. But, I did take a selfie with my blowout that I posted on FB with my son creeping in the background. Here's a comparison with my twistout.

I did like having my hair out and flowy with the blowout and it made my next wash easier. I think I may start blowing my hair out every so often. Oh, and I blow on cool setting, btw.

Anyway, I'm back in my shrunken state and my hair feels fabulous! I think I'll move my deep conditioning up to tonight instead of saturday.

Anyone have pics to share? We're at the end of the month with only 2 more months to go this year. If you haven't already, now's a good time to commit to going hard! Let's get those inches!!!
    Let's grow some hair!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NJoy For This Useful Post:

mz_robyn (10-29-2015)

Thanks

Hello Divas, long time no post.

Yet again I neglected my hair due to yet MORE deaths and impending deaths in the family so I've been wigging it with rather cute and curly hair from soft body waves to tight corkscrews. On the upside I have lost plenty more weight!

I was wondering if anybody on here has tried the TMS system? I would like to straighten my hair w/o relaxing again just yet.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mz_robyn For This Useful Post:

NJoy (12-09-2015)

Thanks

Hello Divas, long time no post.

Yet again I neglected my hair due to yet MORE deaths and impending deaths in the family so I've been wigging it with rather cute and curly hair from soft body waves to tight corkscrews. On the upside I have lost plenty more weight!

I was wondering if anybody on here has tried the TMS system? I would like to straighten my hair w/o relaxing again just yet.
    Umm I highly recommend NOT trying the TMS system because Chime Edwards (Hair Crush) on YouTube used it for a promo I believe and she has experienced a TEXTURE CHANGE in her hair and it still affects her well over a year since she's used it. Even when comparing old videos to new you can tell that her hair just isn't the same. She has a whole video on how TMS affected her hair.
    Because of that, I really wouldn't look into trying the product.
    ♡Just a girl growing her pretty coils n' curls♥