Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

Thanks

Re: NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

So my question is to you guys about brushes and other tools...

I'm in the market for a detangling brush for my crown. This is an area that straight hair or not, I continue to struggle with because of the beautiful thickness and it's desire to tangle. I was reading about brushes (denman and tangle teezer). Does anyone have a favorite, even if it isn;t either of these two?

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

I use a Denman, and it literally saved my hair. Beforehand arty the beginning of my transition I tried finger detangling my hair outside the shower and. . . It got to the point where I was unwise and lazy one day and it matted. I managed to detangle my hair but immediately went to Sally's for the brush cause I knew wide tooth combs weren't working and though finger detangling is very useful for me when done under a running faucet, I need my Denman so that my hair is thoroughly detangled. I have nothing bad to say about it. But I will note that it's loud it'll sound like it's ripping out your hair when it's not lol. And it's really REALLY good at getting out she'd hairs while finger detangling me doesn't get those, hence that more tangled feeling hair. I heard that tangles teezers have been known to cause midshaft splits, but I personally haven't tried the product. Just giving a heads up.
    The Denman Brush has been and always will be approved by Jayla
    ♡Just a girl growing her pretty coils n' curls♥

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jayla For This Useful Post:

NJoy (04-18-2015)

Thanks

Thank you so much!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheyjuan For This Useful Post:

Jayla (04-13-2015)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyjuan View Post
    So my question is to you guys about brushes and other tools...

I'm in the market for a detangling brush for my crown. This is an area that straight hair or not, I continue to struggle with because of the beautiful thickness and it's desire to tangle. I was reading about brushes (denman and tangle teezer). Does anyone have a favorite, even if it isn;t either of these two?
    I can't use brushes on my hair. I have a Denman but, it won't stand up to my hair. It seems like the bristles just lay down and quit. I used to rave about the Tangle Teaser when it first came out. It worked well but, I stopped using it when ladies started experiencing damage with it. It was said that it shreds the hair.

So, other than maybe using a boar bristle brush to smooth my edges, I have no brush recommendations, personally.
    Let's grow some hair!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NJoy For This Useful Post:

Jayla (04-18-2015)

Thanks

OH MY GOODNESS!!
    Wait lemme calm down. . .
    NOPE I CAN'T
    Lol but for real guys today marks 18 months since my last relaxer.
    Wow
    It has been a very long time. I will not lie. It felt like forever. At least the first year did. I think the first year is the hardest because there's so much you gotta learn and goals seem so far away.*
    But yeah. I made it. And I have some time left. I can (almost lol) guarantee you that I won't officially go natural and cut off my limp, straight, processed, hanging-on-for-dear-life-like-that-random-cat-on-that-poster-with-that-cliff-saying-just-hang-on-but-you-know-he-ain't-gonna-make-it-tho ends until October 27, 2015, which will make me 2 years post. My natural hair is currently 9 inches long, reaching APL for me. I want to go the extra 6 months for the extra 3+ inches so when I do go natural, my natural hair is at least a foot long and my wash n go has some good hang time.
    I really wanna wear a wash n go.
    But I can wait.*
    I think
    To all you giddy little doe-eyed transitioners out there- do your thing on your schedule. Do what will keep you sane during this time period and chop when you wanna. You'll feel more satisfied in the end. For me, protective styles drive me insane. Buns, not really, cause they're simple, but I felt the ones i did on my puff came out too messy and barely live a week. Braids though were making me crawl, and I would never hold them past two weeks. Especially since I wash or at least soak my hair one a week. And the process of braiding, let alone mom detangling my hair was scary. So my somewhat low manipulation style of the faux wash n go puff (wet braid out so that I still had definition but my relaxed ends still held their curl, all gathered into an enormous puff) that I do twice a week does me good. If I didn't have this then I might've cut my hair by now. But I do and I personally don't like APL hair so I'm going full on for BSL. Do what works for you.*
    Yay me!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jayla For This Useful Post:

mz_robyn (04-28-2015), NJoy (04-28-2015)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jayla View Post
    OH MY GOODNESS!!
    Wait lemme calm down. . .
    NOPE I CAN'T
    Lol but for real guys today marks 18 months since my last relaxer.
    Wow
    It has been a very long time. I will not lie. It felt like forever. At least the first year did. I think the first year is the hardest because there's so much you gotta learn and goals seem so far away.*
    But yeah. I made it. And I have some time left. I can (almost lol) guarantee you that I won't officially go natural and cut off my limp, straight, processed, hanging-on-for-dear-life-like-that-random-cat-on-that-poster-with-that-cliff-saying-just-hang-on-but-you-know-he-ain't-gonna-make-it-tho ends until October 27, 2015, which will make me 2 years post. My natural hair is currently 9 inches long, reaching APL for me. I want to go the extra 6 months for the extra 3+ inches so when I do go natural, my natural hair is at least a foot long and my wash n go has some good hang time.
    I really wanna wear a wash n go.
    But I can wait.*
    I think
    To all you giddy little doe-eyed transitioners out there- do your thing on your schedule. Do what will keep you sane during this time period and chop when you wanna. You'll feel more satisfied in the end. For me, protective styles drive me insane. Buns, not really, cause they're simple, but I felt the ones i did on my puff came out too messy and barely live a week. Braids though were making me crawl, and I would never hold them past two weeks. Especially since I wash or at least soak my hair one a week. And the process of braiding, let alone mom detangling my hair was scary. So my somewhat low manipulation style of the faux wash n go puff (wet braid out so that I still had definition but my relaxed ends still held their curl, all gathered into an enormous puff) that I do twice a week does me good. If I didn't have this then I might've cut my hair by now. But I do and I personally don't like APL hair so I'm going full on for BSL. Do what works for you.*
    Yay me!
    Girl! I couldn't breathe after reading that. I feel you tho. But you know what. I said the same. I held on 17 months post-relaxer and finally BC'd near the end of Sept. 2012. My plan was to hold on to my sad, anorexic ends until December 31st of 2012. I. could. NOT even wait!!! Those ends were mocking me every time I stepped out of the shower. So, I cut those puppies and it was the best decision everrrr!!! I'd been transitioning at hip length for at least 5 months, cutting an inch or two at a time but, after BC'g and trying to cut an additional inch or so (just to be sure there was no scab hair) my hair was just past apl, stretched. But the cute above the shoulders fluffy fro that it gave me was the absolute best! I have no regrets other than waiting so long with my hair in buns and Celie braids.

All that to say, never say never. In any case, when you do get to BC'g, I think you're going to be in love. In any case, we'll support you on holding out. You can do it!
    Let's grow some hair!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NJoy For This Useful Post:

Jayla (04-29-2015)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

OK, I've been MIA a for a few days. I was getting ready for Talijah Waajid's 18th Annual World Natural Hair, Health and Beauty Show. Not only was it a lot of work to prep for the show but, I neglected my finicky hair and ended up with a big knotted dread towards the back of my head. Yep. Right in my bratty patch. So, I had no time to deal with it and had no choice but to wear my hair up. I wanted to at least have it in a big, fluffy braidout. And then, after the Show, it occurred to me that I still could've done the braidout but cover the knotted area with a silk flower or something. I just wasn't thinking. Ah well.

IMG_4853 (1).jpg
    The NJoy Essentials Team!

The show was still spectacular. I was visited by some of you VIP Divas, ladies from other boards, youtube and IG followers and a faithful few that always comes out to see me at the shows. I'm so grateful. You all make me feel like a million bucks.

Sunday was the last day of the Show. I've been trying to recuperate since. I just feel so dead dog tired. I'm working on getting myself back on track tho.

What do you say we do a length check in at the end of this month? If you don't have a starting pic from the beginning of this month, don't sweat it. Let's just make sure that we're headed in the right direction. Now that the cold weather is making way for Spring, we can expect some growth spurts around here. Often, many find that hair growth stalls during the colder months. If this was you, don't sweat it. Just like trees doe their root work during the winter, let's consider our hair having gone through the same root work. Now it's time to blossom. Time to look forward to some exceptional growth.

Remember, keep your mind right and your thoughts positive. Let's grow some hair! Uh... but for now, I'm going to bed. TTYL, ladies.
    Let's grow some hair!!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJoy For This Useful Post:

Jayla (04-29-2015), mz_robyn (04-29-2015)

Thanks

Red face Re: NJoy's Hair Growth Challenge Thread!!! Come on in!

I can't believe I went natural today. Lol even after claiming to wait another six months like a week ago.
    But I did.
    May 8, 2015 is my official bc date.
    You were right Njoy. The thin ends weren't worth compromising the health of my natural hair.
    I really like my defined coily curls they deserve a round of applause.
    Next stop, BSL before the beginning of the 2015-16 school year!
    Last edited by Jayla; 05-08-2015 at 10:09 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jayla For This Useful Post:

admin (05-19-2015)

Thanks

Hi,
    I am roughly a year into my transition. I usually keep my hair in weaves so I don't have much of a regimen besides essential oils and coconut oil. So I'm open to suggestions and product recommendations. I believe my hair is 4b and shoulder length. My goal is to be bra strap length by Christmas. Good luck to everyone on their journey.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jayla View Post
    I can't believe I went natural today. Lol even after claiming to wait another six months like a week ago.
    But I did.
    May 8, 2015 is my official bc date.
    You were right Njoy. The thin ends weren't worth compromising the health of my natural hair.
    I really like my defined coily curls they deserve a round of applause.
    Next stop, BSL before the beginning of the 2015-16 school year!
    Woohoo! That's amazing! Congrats! Now take your time getting used to your natural hair and love it!

~ NJoy (Whoops! logged in under admin account)
    Last edited by NJoy; 05-19-2015 at 10:54 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Jayla (05-23-2015)