Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visualizing Your Way to Longer, Healthier Hair Challenge

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Visualizing Your Way to Longer, Healthier Hair Challenge

During the first year of my hhj, in addition to using my growth mix, I literally visualized my growth. I envisioned the end result and also envisioned each month's growth. What I would do is take a picture of my hair from the back and elongate the length an inch per month. Now, I'm not high-tech with photoshop skills or anything so, I'd print out my pic in black and white and take a black colored pencil and draw the added length. (you can laugh but it worked). And that would be the pic that I'd used to visualize my monthly goal. I think I'll write a blog post and put more specifics on what I did, my thinking behind it and scriptures to back up everything that I believe about visualizing for results.

But, suffice it to say, I did reach each monthly goal AND my year end visualized pic (made at the beginning of the year) matched my actual year end pic. But there was more than just looking at images. I also had to believe it in my heart, which meant I had to feel it. To continually convince myself that I had what I was visualizing, I had to avoid anything that contradicted what I was believing. That meant, avoiding conversations that says 1/4-1/2 inch per month was all that could be expected in growth. That meant avoiding conversations that complained about slow growth. And that meant, avoiding length checks the end of the month. Heck, I even avoided looking at the length of my hair in the mirror. My hair was past my shoulders so, I'd hang the length behind my back so that I couldn't see where it ended. I mean, how could I believe my hair was bra strap length and then look in the mirror and see that it was not. That was a contradiction in what I was believing.

Soooooo..... that said, I'm going back to visualizing and refraining from anything that contradicts what I'm believing.

For me, now that I'm natural, to get an idea of my true length (because I'm NOT flat ironing for length checks anytime soon), I have to stretch my hair. I'd like to avoid unnecessary stretching so, I plan to length check quarterly. That's gonna be hard for me to do because my shrinkage makes me feel my hair is shorter than it actually is, which also may contradict what I'm believing.

For this reason, I've decided to start a challenge, to keep me on track. I'd love to have some company for accountability so,

if you'd like to join, let me know by answering the following:

Current length:
    Relaxed, Natural or transitioning:
    2013 year end goal:
    How often will you length check:
    What are you using to visualize:

I know personally how beneficial it is to visualize. I've done it with success with my hair, body goals, income, vehicles, possessions, etc.

As I think in my heart, so am I.

Who's in?
    Last edited by NJoy; 01-13-2013 at 12:33 PM.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Visualizing Your Way to Longer, Healthier Hair Challenge

Current length: BSL

Relaxed, Natural or transitioning: Natural

2013 year end goal: W'Hip

How often will you length check: Quarterly

What are you using to visualize: Monthly hair goal pics, pics of shrunken hair next to straightened length (to remind me of the shrinkage factor)
    Let's grow some hair!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh gosh, I can't resist a challenge, so I'm in!

I feel like my hair came to a standstill the 2nd half of last year. My hair is currently hovering waist-length and that must change. I want tailbone length hair!

Current length: About an inch above waist
    Relaxed, Natural or transitioning: natural
    2013 year end goal: tailbone
    How often will you length check: every 3 months
    What are you using to visualize: I will try to whip something up in a graphics program (my hair stretched to tailbone length)

A hair in the head is worth two in the brush. ~Oliver Herford

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MsDarling For This Useful Post:

NJoy (01-13-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MsDarling View Post
    Oh gosh, I can't resist a challenge, so I'm in!

I feel like my hair came to a standstill the 2nd half of last year. My hair is currently hovering waist-length and that must change. I want tailbone length hair!

Current length: About an inch above waist
    Relaxed, Natural or transitioning: natural
    2013 year end goal: tailbone
    How often will you length check: every 3 months
    What are you using to visualize: I will try to whip something up in a graphics program (my hair stretched to tailbone length)

A hair in the head is worth two in the brush. ~Oliver Herford
    Yay! I can't wait to see your hair at tailbone. I'd like to get there too as a natural. Uh, but that's next year for me. Lead the way, Mama!
    Let's grow some hair!!

Thanks

Count me in too. I know I'm bad about formally checking in for the challenges but, my intentions are good and I need the support. I've been a part of the visualizing thread and actually manifested quite a few things on my VB. And if this is what you did to help grow your hair at an incredible pace, I must be a part of this challange.

Current length: scraping sl

Relaxed, Natural or transitioning: natural. I cut the last of my relaxed ends in june.

2013 year end goal: bsl

What are you using to visualize: I keep a vision journal. Each thing has it's on page and I'm able to keep it with me. So, I'll start a hair page for this challenge.

I sooooooooooooo excited! Njoy, please stay on me about this challenge. You know how hard it is for me to be consistent with anything. I need to find a way to make that a vision page too. lol.

So do we come back for the length checks or how do we need to report in?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blessed1 View Post
    Count me in too. I know I'm bad about formally checking in for the challenges but, my intentions are good and I need the support. I've been a part of the visualizing thread and actually manifested quite a few things on my VB. And if this is what you did to help grow your hair at an incredible pace, I must be a part of this challange.

Current length: scraping sl

Relaxed, Natural or transitioning: natural. I cut the last of my relaxed ends in june.

2013 year end goal: bsl

What are you using to visualize: I keep a vision journal. Each thing has it's on page and I'm able to keep it with me. So, I'll start a hair page for this challenge.

I sooooooooooooo excited! Njoy, please stay on me about this challenge. You know how hard it is for me to be consistent with anything. I need to find a way to make that a vision page too. lol.

So do we come back for the length checks or how do we need to report in?
    Come in and post whatever you like. Talk about your goal, celebrate it, use this challenge to stay focused. Be encouraged and encourage others. I'd like for this space to only focus on the positive. That's things that are going on or anticipated. When you start to feel a littel discouraged, come and talk about the positive aspects of your goal and be remotivated to keep your eye on the prize and believe what you are expecting.

I have no hard rules. I'd just like this to evolve into whatever it will. I see it as a haven of hope. Let's set that intention and make it so.

Your vision journal sounds like a great idea. Maybe you can have some blank pages in the back of your notebook to write down affirmations, prayers or other positive thoughts to support your goals. Yep. I like that idea.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ok! So, I have my pics up, which also include pics showing shrinkage against straightened length. That's gonna be important for me because I don't expect my shrunken hair to hang at a reasonable length. But, in the shower, I expect to be able to feel the weight of it getting longer and racing down my back. This is another reason I'd like to cowash every 1-2 days. I'd like daily but, that's not always convenient right now.

My first visualized goal is my 2010 mbl pic. I'm looking forward to seeing my mbl hair. It's so thick and beautiful and I'm grateful. Tricky part will be resisting impromptu length checks.

Oh, key for me visualizing and feeling good is playing upbeat music that puts me in a happy mood. Thought I'd share that tidbit.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm back & I'm in!!!!

Current length: MBL (last time I checked in Dec)
    Relaxed, Natural or transitioning:Natural
    2013 year end goal: HL (aim high!)
    How often will you length check: stretched/flat-ironed about every 3 months
    What are you using to visualize: I'm going to take a picture from the the last time I straightened & color it in a la Njoy! I also have a vision board on pinterest, vision board on my computer, and a goal sheet.
    la vida solo momentos que se viven una vez

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mividabella For This Useful Post:

NJoy (01-15-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

So I keep my hair pictures in a folder filled with other folders categorized by year. In order to keep my vision of tailbone hair in sight.

I made a new folder on my desktop for 2013. I didn't add it into my hair progress folder so I can only look at the picture of my end goal. All that's in there is my 2013 hair. Works for me.

I think I'm going to make my goal hair my avatar. That way I'll see it in more than one place.

My desktop background is going to get revamped, it's currently a background of pictures of things I want/like collaged together.

I'm going to make a 2013 background and add my hair goal picture and new pictures that symbolize my 2013 goals.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yay! Glad to see the players showing up. I was just looking thru some 2010 pics and thought I'd post my 2010 visualization and year end pic for motivation.

My towel was right at those flab creases. I put it there because I hate them. They hang around no matter what size I am. Grrrr. But I digress....

As I'd mentioned, my graphic skills were not so great (still aren't). I took a May 2010 length shot pic, printed it out in black and white and used a colored pencil (black) to extend the length. And then I copied and printed it out so that the color was flat and consistent. I made that visualization pic in January of 2010, estimating about an inch a month's growth. And look at the year end!

I must say, when visualizing, it's important to be specific because I always get exactly what I ask for. Want another example?

I didn't even realize in 2011, when I put this pic as my avatar

That's me in my Samara Girl, by FreeTress. She had to be my favorite ps and you could tell me nuthin!!

Look what my November length check looked like:

I didn't think anything of it until one day, I length check Samara Girl and, stretched, she was the exact same length as my Novemeber 2011 hair. Also, in my pic, my curled hair hangs the same as curled Samara Girl. From that point on, even avatar pics had to be chosen carefully. That said, now that I'm natural, I need to update my avatar here.

Anyhoo, I'm hoping this will be motivation for us all. You can have exactly what you want..if you can believe that.

Let's goooooooooo!!!!
    Let's grow some hair!!