Thread: Anyone use amla powder?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Anyone use amla powder?

So I acquired a package alma powder, but I'm not sure how to use, I bought it because it said it makes your hair dark.

Is this true? Will it make brown hair black?

Does this soften hair, conditioning, or does it cleanse it, like shampoo?

Do you just mix with water and oil, does it work better with anything else?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Anyone use amla powder?

Quote Originally Posted by MsDarling View Post
    So I acquired a package alma powder, but I'm not sure how to use, I bought it because it said it makes your hair dark.

Is this true? Will it make brown hair black?

Does this soften hair, conditioning, or does it cleanse it, like shampoo?

Do you just mix with water and oil, does it work better with anything else?
    I could've written this post. I was just looking at my box of amla a few days ago wondering how I would use it. From the box, it says to mix with water to make a paste, applying it and let it sit for like 45 minutes. It's suppose to darken and condition. But, I've hard of people mixing it with shakaki powder to make a cleansing wash. The alma (and brahmi, if you like) keeps the shakaki (I know I'm spelling that wrong) from being too drying. Because on it's own, it's very drying.

I'm hoping for some of the darkening benefits too but, I hear it's cumulative. It'll darken after you've been using amla for awhile. I'm still looking around for best uses. I'll keep you posted. Please do the same. I found a local indian store that sells ayurvedic powders and bought several boxes (since it was so inexpensive). I also have shakaki, brahmi and one other fragrant powder (can't get up to go check). But, they've been pretty much sitting dormant for a minute.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NJoy View Post
    I could've written this post. I was just looking at my box of amla a few days ago wondering how I would use it. From the box, it says to mix with water to make a paste, applying it and let it sit for like 45 minutes. It's suppose to darken and condition. But, I've hard of people mixing it with shakaki powder to make a cleansing wash. The alma (and brahmi, if you like) keeps the shakaki (I know I'm spelling that wrong) from being too drying. Because on it's own, it's very drying.

I'm hoping for some of the darkening benefits too but, I hear it's cumulative. It'll darken after you've been using amla for awhile. I'm still looking around for best uses. I'll keep you posted. Please do the same. I found a local indian store that sells ayurvedic powders and bought several boxes (since it was so inexpensive). I also have shakaki, brahmi and one other fragrant powder (can't get up to go check). But, they've been pretty much sitting dormant for a minute.
    I'm itching to use the amla, so I'm going to mix it tomorrow morning and use it, haven't washed my hair in 2 weeks. I have no cones coating my hair which is good because you're supposed to apply it to dry hair. I'm going to do warm water and some sesame oil (trying to finish it) and leave it on for 30 mins under a cap, then rinse, hopefully no need to condition. If that goes well, I'll re-purchase.

Yeah isn't it great having Indian stores locally? Saves a lot of shipping money, plus I like seeing what I'm getting beforehand to check expiration dates, etc.
    I used Shikaikai powder and it really cleanses, yet softens your hair, but I had a slight scalp reaction and had to stop using it.

Some sites I found about amla, I was going to look on lhc, but I haven't been able to access that site for weeks, it keeps saying busy server, but anyway:
    http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/amla-powder/
    http://forums.hennapage.com/node/60
    http://hennablogspot.com/how-to-use-...-red-of-henna/

Off-topic: A couple weeks ago my sister bought more brahmi oil which she really likes, but I avoid coconut oil because it seems to break my skin out topically.
    She tried to make your sulfur mix with it this week, sorry it's kind of smelly, but she likes it. I'm going to try to make your sulfur mix, using a different oil, brahmi is strong by itself, and I don't like smelling like eggs.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm itching to use the amla, so I'm going to mix it tomorrow morning and use it, haven't washed my hair in 2 weeks. I have no cones coating my hair which is good because you're supposed to apply it to dry hair. I'm going to do warm water and some sesame oil (trying to finish it) and leave it on for 30 mins under a cap, then rinse, hopefully no need to condition. If that goes well, I'll re-purchase.

Yeah isn't it great having Indian stores locally? Saves a lot of shipping money, plus I like seeing what I'm getting beforehand to check expiration dates, etc.
    I used Shikaikai powder and it really cleanses, yet softens your hair, but I had a slight scalp reaction and had to stop using it.

Some sites I found about amla, I was going to look on lhc, but I haven't been able to access that site for weeks, it keeps saying busy server, but anyway:
    http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/amla-powder/
    http://forums.hennapage.com/node/60
    http://hennablogspot.com/how-to-use-...-red-of-henna/

Off-topic: A couple weeks ago my sister bought more brahmi oil which she really likes, but I avoid coconut oil because it seems to break my skin out topically.
    She tried to make your sulfur mix with it this week, sorry it's kind of smelly, but she likes it. I'm going to try to make your sulfur mix, using a different oil, brahmi is strong by itself, and I don't like smelling like eggs.
    Oh good! Please let me know how that amla works out for you. I'm gonna check some of the links you provided. I'm planning to henna tomorrow night so that I can indigo. But, I have shakakai, brahmi, amla and Kapur Kachri powders that I'm dying to use. I also have Bhringraj oil. I just loaded up when I found this stuff locally. And I hear that there's another Indian store close by too. Problem is, I've just never taken the time to implement any of the ayurvedic practices beyond heavy oilings with CO. So, PLEASE keep me posted on anything that you're doing that's working for you. And if I can incorporate anything during my upcoming henna/indigo session, all the better. Who knows. I may hold off on henna while I check. (that's the lazy part of me really not wanting to henna AND indigo )
    Let's grow some hair!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NJoy View Post
    Oh good! Please let me know how that amla works out for you. I'm gonna check some of the links you provided. I'm planning to henna tomorrow night so that I can indigo. But, I have shakakai, brahmi, amla and Kapur Kachri powders that I'm dying to use. I also have Bhringraj oil. I just loaded up when I found this stuff locally. And I hear that there's another Indian store close by too. Problem is, I've just never taken the time to implement any of the ayurvedic practices beyond heavy oilings with CO. So, PLEASE keep me posted on anything that you're doing that's working for you. And if I can incorporate anything during my upcoming henna/indigo session, all the better. Who knows. I may hold off on henna while I check. (that's the lazy part of me really not wanting to henna AND indigo )
    Since we have a storm heading our way in NY, I have been helping prepare the house. And feel like under the possibility of a blackout I may as well wait till next week or the week after to do the amla. I haven't even washed my hair and am wondering if I'll just end up stretching until this Friday for a 3rd week. Probably.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Since we have a storm heading our way in NY, I have been helping prepare the house. And feel like under the possibility of a blackout I may as well wait till next week or the week after to do the amla. I haven't even washed my hair and am wondering if I'll just end up stretching until this Friday for a 3rd week. Probably.
    I hope all is well on your side. I've been glued to CNN and the facebook trying to keep up with what's going on there. Check in when you can to let me know how you're doing.

As for me, I ended up not doing henna this weekend. But, I did do an amla scalp mask. I guess that's what you can call it. I used it the way the box instructed. I added water to make a thick paste, massaged it onto my scalp and let it sit for 30-45 minutes. Well, I got lazy and actually left it on close to 8 hours but who's counting. I take it that it's supposed to cleanse the scalp and I guess that's what it did. While I had it on my scalp, I covered the length on my hair in CO and oil rinsed when it came time to rinse the amla from my scalp. I M&S and twisted my hair up. My hair seemed happy so, I'm happy. Still need to check ayurvedic links but, I've been glued to CNN worrying about my family, most of whom are in NY and NJ.

Praying all is well with everyone.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Thanks

I should have the alma powder I ordered next week, looking forward to making hair masks and teas with different combination of indian herbs, I am fixated on increasing the rate of hair growth. I am tired of struggling to grow beyond 6inches.