Thread: Protein Brown Gel... What do you think

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Protein Brown Gel... What do you think

A Co-worker (Hair-dresser) has given the advice that I should try applying brown gel to my New Growths like a base prior to Relaxing. What do you guys think of that? Iam sorta comtemplating doing this because it is protein and vaseline.

Its been a week since I washed... and it wasn't a protein wash and I need to relax now since my hair doesnt agree with long-term stretching.

6268122825688.jpg
    Happy Hair Journey

Thanks

Re: Protein Brown Gel... What do you think

I've heard of this too. I think it should be fine.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I so dont want to be my own guniea pig... But she says shes done it on her hair and her hair come out nice n strong.

Did a lil research = Google (Lol)

One Good Solution: Adding Protein to Hair Relaxer

Don’t be afraid to try out hair relaxer to get the look you want. All it takes is a little savvy and some know-how and you’re on your way to a new you. Adding protein can take a normally volatile hair product and allow it to work better for you.

Why Use Protein with a Relaxer?

Relaxers are chemical solutions that break the natural protein bonds of the hair. Adding protein can assist in keeping hair smooth and healthy by restoring some strength and elasticity to the hair, however, it is not possible to restore the hair bonds that are broken down during the relaxing process. Also be aware of whether it is a protein treatment or a protein oil. Protein oils will add shine, but may not have the same benefits as the protein concentrate.

Forms of Protein

Protein added to hair relaxer comes in a concentrated form. Wheat protein is used in many hair products; this is a milder form of protein. Animal proteins or hydrolyzed human hair protein are stronger forms of protein. The protein in hair concentrated additives and other hair products works by "sealing" the hair shaft. This results in healthier-looking hair.

Finding Protein to Add

The first step is to find a good protein additive for your relaxer. Some kits come with protein some don’t. If you need a protein additive StyleOne Hair Systems has a good one to try. Pure and Powerful Hair Protein is also nice because it’s versatile. You can add it to any chemical hair product to increase moisture and softness. You simply add one capful of Pure and Powerful to any relaxer solution. This protein works with any brand of hair relaxer. There are also other brands available; read their ingredients and instructions carefully to choose the best one for you.

Other Great Solutions

Adding protein to hair relaxer or using relaxers containing protein can help in maintaining healthy hair, but other considerations are necessary.

Use these tips to keep your hair healthy when using a home relaxer kit:

1. Read all the kit directions before you start.
    2. Always do a hair strand test before relaxing your whole head.
    3. Never use a relaxer on bleached or newly colored hair.
    4. Apply a thick layer of petroleum jelly to protect skin and scalp from burns.
    5. Don’t use hot combs for one week before or after relaxing.
    6. Always rinse the product out well, according to the directions.

Do all this and you can have a healthier hair relaxing experience at home!

"Okay, so I forgot to add the information I've found about adding protein to your conditioners, specifically silk protein, when I told about my results. I was wrong when i first posted about this. The purpose is not to restore the bonds to the hair that's being relaxed, that's for the reconstructor to do. It's to provide a protective barrier to the hair when you're relaxing it. It works better when you use a product like Chi Silk Infusion and put it over the hair and then relax vs when you add a protein to the conditioner, but you still get the barrier between the hair and the relaxer. After silk protein on the hair dries, it becomes a transparent crystalline protective film. This film can directly prevent the hair being damaged by alkaline materials in hair products. This protective film can increase the hair elasticity and increase the hair’s natural shine. It has a very special protective function in hair products.

Here;s further info I've found from a lady named Navsegda:

The silk proteins do provide a barrier. However, HEAT from the chemicals in a relaxer is what straightens the hair, not the bare chemicals alone. Some reactions happen faster than others, but when molecules continually bump into each other during a chemical reaction, heat energy is produced. Different bonds have different bond dissociation energies (which is the amount of heat/energy needed to break a bond). With a silk protein barrier, the molecules are going to bump into this and still release a fraction of their energy but the silk is not going to let all the energy come through at that point. Think about when you use a thick potholder to get a hot dish out of the oven. You can still feel some of the heat energy come through and your hand may get a little warm, but it's not enough to be painful and burn the skin off your hand like it could be if you didn't use a potholder or you used a thin, raggedy one.

So let's say you normally leave your relaxer on about 15 minutes. Well, it does not take all that energy released from the relaxer to straighten your hair. You can actually change the conformation of molecules in space (which is what straightening SHOULD do) without destroying the bonds (think of dough, you can roll it into a ball or you can roll it into a rectangular, flattened strip without breaking it apart, but if you put too much force/energy into it, then you're going to break off a piece unnecessarily).

Heat can do 3 things: it can provide enough energy to just make the atoms of the molecule change their conformation in space around the bonds, it can provide more than enough and weaken those bonds, or it can provide way TOO MUCH (when it reaches the bond dissociation energy) and break those bonds. If you do not use silk and leave the relaxer on for this 15 minutes, then the chemicals will produce more energy than necessary and all the energy they produced is going to get through. That's how your bonds in the hair get broken because you've let the energy of the chemicals exceed the bond dissociation energy of the various bonds that make up the proteins in your hair (keratin contains several types of molecular bonds so there is no one dissociation energy; each of these types of bonds in keratin have their own dissociation energies). If you do use silk and let the relaxer stay on for the same amount of time, then each time the molecules bump into the silk, only a fraction of the heat energy is going to get through instead of all of it. So overall, less energy will get through with the silk, but it will still be enough to safely straighten your hair. Less heat from the chemical reaction will get through, yes. This is actually a good thing because if you let a reaction sit long enough, it will "overheat" in a sense. It doesn't take all the energy that a relaxer builds to straighten out your hair. And the bonds do not have to be broken to straighten the hair because atoms can shift positions around molecular bonds. The silk is going to keep excess energy that you don't need from getting through (unless of course you sit for much longer with the silk than you would without it). For instance, if you need say, 400 kJ/mol of energy to break a particular bond but it really only takes 150 kJ/mol to change the conformation of the atoms in space (which is what you want to happen when you straighten anyway), then the other 250 kJ/mol is entirely unnecessary and a barrier will just prevent all the 400 kJ/mol from getting through in the same amount of time. So you can still texlax or go straight
    "

"From what I've gathered from my experience and from the further research I performed before doing this is that reconstructors will strengthen/add more structure to your hair if used after, but they aren't going to offer protection. The protein from a reconstructor becomes part of your hair and thus it's not actually providing a barrier against anything. The addition of the protein in my relaxer really did eliminate a lot of the unnecessary processing of the relaxer, if that makes sense. Just like it was stated, it doesn't take the full processing strength of a relaxer for it to do its job. I still used a reconstructor afterward to repair the bonds that had been broken, but there wasn't an addition in the time it took my hair to process at all. My hair processed normally, and it actually took better than any of my other relaxer experiences and was the most pleasant experience I'd ever had with a relaxer system."

And I will not be doing a protein-treatment as my first wash after the relaxer... But instead do a Deep Moisturizing treatment instead.
    Last edited by Sweet_Intent; 08-16-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    Happy Hair Journey

Thanks

Wow I have never heard of this before, it's so interesting. I don't relax my hair anymore, but it's amazing the tips you can pick up. I think if I was relaxing my hair adding protein to the mix sounds like an idea that I would try, simply because I think it's sensible to try and shore up the foundations of your hair during this process after all the relaxer is to a certain extent breaking down the structure of the hair.

Thanks for posting all of this - if I should ever return to a relaxer, this is definitely something I would try - it makes perfect sense.