Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stretching a relaxer? Get in here!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Stretching a relaxer? Get in here!

Well, I'm 23 wks post and can already tell you that I'm not going to relax at 24 weeks. My hair seems to be doing fine. I still have my hair in 10 braids. It's working for me and I wig it when I need a "real" hairstyle. This is definitely low manipulation so, there's no breakage in sight.

I have noticed that my ng is coming in tighter. I don't know if that's because I've changed brands and lowered the dosage on the msm that I'm taking or what but, it's definitely different. I think I'm going to DC in braids today just to make sure that my hair is getting sufficient moisture in the strands.

I've started using Afro Detangler as a leave in. My braids feel soft. I'm still undecided about whether or not this will be a staple.

I've also started taking Diatomaceous Earth (DE) again. It gave me a growth spurt when I first used it but, the main benefit for me was that it brought my allergies under control. I'm typing this with a waning sinus headache. I'm hoping DE will help me with these allergies again.

In the meantime, it has lots of silica in it and my nails are growing like crazy. Let's hope my hair is too. I'd love for my hair to grow past HL so that I can cut back to thicken my hemline. I've already cut an inch off the ends of my braids so, I'm no longer at HL. But, again, I hope.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well, I haven't been consistent with taking DE at all. And Afro Detangler is...well...let's just say, I won't be reordering.

I'm still stretching. I'm 26 wks post and still in cornrows. I picked up some henna so, at some point I'll henna. I'll likely henna before I texlax. I'm trying to plan all that out now. Today, I have to take dad to his dr appt so, I'll DC under a cap and scarf. Maybe I'll follow that with an oil rinse and henna on Saturday. Who knows.

Just kicking around some ideas and trying to come up with a plan.

I hope all is well. ~NJoy
    Let's grow some hair!!

Thanks

@NJoy- Have you already used the Magic Star Jumbo Rake Comb? If so, how do you like it? I'm only about 11 weeks post, but I'm thinking of ordering it to help with detangling.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. D View Post
    @NJoy- Have you already used the Magic Star Jumbo Rake Comb? If so, how do you like it? I'm only about 11 weeks post, but I'm thinking of ordering it to help with detangling.
    Meh. It's ok. No real "magic", like I was expecting but, I guess I haven't used it much either. I do use it exclusively for my detangling (whenever I do use a comb to detangle( because it doesn't snag. But, I feel like I should've gotten a medium-tooth comb too and I'm doing more finger detangling than anything else.

I think it would work much better for someone who's completely natural. So, eventually I may change my opinion. But for these two textures and the small tangles in the relaxed portion? Meh.
    Let's grow some hair!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NJoy For This Useful Post:

Ms. D (11-08-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NJoy View Post
    Meh. It's ok. No real "magic", like I was expecting but, I guess I haven't used it much either. I do use it exclusively for my detangling (whenever I do use a comb to detangle( because it doesn't snag. But, I feel like I should've gotten a medium-tooth comb too and I'm doing more finger detangling than anything else.

I think it would work much better for someone who's completely natural. So, eventually I may change my opinion. But for these two textures and the small tangles in the relaxed portion? Meh.
    Darn it. I already bought it! LOL. Hopefully it works like Magic for me. But I guess a seamless comb is a good investment regardless if it detangles better than my jilbere shower comb or not.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ms. D For This Useful Post:

NJoy (11-08-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Checking in at 29 weeks post.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'll be 30 wks on Tuesday. I guess it's time to start considering when I'll do my next texlax.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Thanks

I'm 11 weeks post trying to stretch til New Year's but its difficult because my new growth is a tangled mess. I ordered Silicon Mix so hopefully that will help. I also made some aloe vera, rosewater and glycerin spritz to moisturize my ng and it helps a lot. Any other tip would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm 31 wks today and planning to hold on til the end of the year to texlax. But, my anniversary is coming up and hubby has been asking me to wear my hair out. Should I texlax or just flat iron? Either way I'm going to end up flat ironing (which I don't like doing because it takes too much time). I may just go ahead and texlax this week, flat iron next week, let that be my end of the year length check and then BC my bonelaxed at the end of the year. I'm just thinking outloud. I have no idea what to do. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Let's grow some hair!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. D View Post
    That's great! What detangling video are you referring to?

I ended my stretch yesterday at 16 weeks post, but I was left underprocessed. It could be for a variety of reasons:

1) I added Oil and Silk Amino Acids to the Normal Lye ORS Relaxer
    2.) I didn't smooth enough
    3.) The vaseline base got on my new-growth..

Who knows. But some parts of my hair look like this _____ZZZZZZZ________
    So it's straight, texlaxed/underprocessed and straight.
    Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

I'm thinking of bunning for 3 weeks..then going back in braids and twists for a month or so, then getting a corrective relaxer from my old stylist.

i know this is an old post, but i just went through the same thing with my relaxer. for the last 2 relaxers before this one i was left underprocessed in certain areas. so i said ok lemme switch relaxers and try something new maybe my hair just needed a change. so i switched relaxers and it was like you had described _____zzzzz_____ in some areas especially in the back. and in other areas its zzzzz______. i couldnt even leave it in long because it started burning, i havent experienced burning in years! I'm trying to figure out why is my hair not responding like it used to? i've been going to my stylist for a few years now but the last 3 relaxers did not take fully. i started my hj last year and started stretching longer, is that the reason? smh idk but all i know is i don't want any setbacks and im not sure if i want her to do anything else to my hair, but i know i need to fix this. will be 5 weeks post next week. ughhhhh my hair is like soooooooo soft and fragile also i hope its not overprocessed a little, along with being underprocessed also im very surprised because my hair relaxes fairly quickly and its fine and i have a sensitive scalp, so i was wondering why its not catching like it should? i just did a protein treatment tuesday because my hair was coming out at the touch. im just getting my scalp in order after it started peeling like 2 weeks after the relaxer now this....smh...im thinking i should do weekly protein treatments for a while..any suggestions? calling allllll divas!!!! hahaha ughhhhhh this is a journey forreal whyyyyyyyyy?????