Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stretching a relaxer? Get in here!

Thanks

Re: Stretching a relaxer? Get in here!

@ NJoy-I know exactly how you feel! I'm 14 weeks post, but my last relaxer was severly underprocessed so I feel like I'm 6 months post!
    I also think about transtioning around this point of my stretch every time. How are you getting your hair braided?

I took out my last set of twists Friday night then did a Henna Treatment (Henna, Black Tea, Olive Oil and Castor Oil) then did an Indigo Treatment (Indigo, salt and water) then DC'd.
    My hair actually felt really strong and soft...very easy to detangle...but I went right back in twists which I'll keep in for 2 weeks. My plan is to relax at 18 weeks post, but who knows now. Whenever I see some-one 2 years post relaxer and their newgrowth is APL or beyond..I think, "I can do that!"

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've been detangling all night, girl, and STILL not finished. While I was detangling, it ocurred to me that using milk to loosen curl pattern in ng works but causes buildup. I wonder if I should've clarified.

I plan to finish detangling, clarify, DC, blowout or flat iron my roots and get my hair braided, as planned. If I can't get it braided, then I will go ahead and do a corrective relaxer. I might be easier for me to deal with 2 textures than 3. I did get a chance to see my natural texture in the ng and lightly texlaxed sections, and it was delicious!!! I'm definitely planning to transition at some point. I think I'd like to reach my goal length first tho. I really should get a henna/indigo in too. Gotta see where I plan to fit that in. I may do that after my touch up. Gotta kick that one around. I really NEED that indigo. I have some grays calling me out in my hairline....bad!
    Let's grow some hair!!

Thanks

^^^ How often do you detangle? That sounds like sooo much work..but then again, I can relate! But with all that hair you have, I doubt it's as painful as my detangling sessions. But I keep my hair stretched via cornrows, braids and twists to avoid matting and tangles since I am on a no direct heat diet until December.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. D View Post
    ^^^ How often do you detangle? That sounds like sooo much work..but then again, I can relate! But with all that hair you have, I doubt it's as painful as my detangling sessions. But I keep my hair stretched via cornrows, braids and twists to avoid matting and tangles since I am on a no direct heat diet until December.
    I mostly finger detangle when cowashing. I detangle with a comb as needed. But, I had my hair in Pocahontas braids and neglected for about 4 or 5 days straight. Prior to that, I'd used a milk mixture to loosen the curl pattern in my ng area. I think my hair freaked out because I lightly texlaxed 17 wks ago. With my last stretch, it just acts up right around 5 months post so, my hair is acting like it's around that time now.

I don't use heat usually. I did flat iron my roots in June for my length check and then two or three times last year. I REALLY want to get my hair braided but don't know anyone that gently braids. I can braid but when braiding my own hair, my cornrows turn out like mini french braids. That just may have to work.

Today, I'm going to clarify, use a yogurt/honey DC to loosen the curn pattern and blow out or flat iron my roots and try to braid it up. I was threatening to end my stretch but, I'll have to let my hair rest from the trauma of this 3-day detangling nightmare. My hair has grown but, I don't know what damage the detangling has done. I really have to do a better job at stretching my hair so that it doesn't mat.

I'm trying to decide exactly when I'll end this stretch. I don't want to wait til it's too late. With the last stretch, I had 3 detangling nightmares before I finally gave up the ghost. I think my ends are thinner because of it. No need to take the risk. I just want to reach hip length by the end of this year. I'll figure it out after that.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Now that I'm beyond the last detangling nightmare and my emotions have settled down, I've decided to continue with my stretch. I'm sneaking up on 18 wks post and determined to hang in there for as long as I can. I'm planning to focus on understanding and nurturing my natural hair as it comes in with the hopes of transitioning to natural. 38 wks is my longest stretch. Let's see how this goes. To assist in my efforts, I'm equipping myself with staples to keep the detangling nightmares at bay. So, I've just ordered the seamless Magic Star Jumbo Rake for detangling and I'm searching for the alltime BEST detangler.

So for now, the stretch continues!
    Let's grow some hair!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

18.5 weeks post today and still going strong. I did a thorough detangling yesterday using the technique posted in the detangling video posted. Wonderful experience with barely any hair lost. Oh, and I just received my new seamless detangling comb in the mail today so, the stretch continues and I'm ready.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NJoy View Post
    18.5 weeks post today and still going strong. I did a thorough detangling yesterday using the technique posted in the detangling video posted. Wonderful experience with barely any hair lost. Oh, and I just received my new seamless detangling comb in the mail today so, the stretch continues and I'm ready.
    That's great! What detangling video are you referring to?

I ended my stretch yesterday at 16 weeks post, but I was left underprocessed. It could be for a variety of reasons:

1) I added Oil and Silk Amino Acids to the Normal Lye ORS Relaxer
    2.) I didn't smooth enough
    3.) The vaseline base got on my new-growth..

Who knows. But some parts of my hair look like this _____ZZZZZZZ________
    So it's straight, texlaxed/underprocessed and straight.
    Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

I'm thinking of bunning for 3 weeks..then going back in braids and twists for a month or so, then getting a corrective relaxer from my old stylist.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. D View Post
    That's great! What detangling video are you referring to?

I ended my stretch yesterday at 16 weeks post, but I was left underprocessed. It could be for a variety of reasons:

1) I added Oil and Silk Amino Acids to the Normal Lye ORS Relaxer
    2.) I didn't smooth enough
    3.) The vaseline base got on my new-growth..

Who knows. But some parts of my hair look like this _____ZZZZZZZ________
    So it's straight, texlaxed/underprocessed and straight.
    Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

I'm thinking of bunning for 3 weeks..then going back in braids and twists for a month or so, then getting a corrective relaxer from my old stylist.

Awe man. Were you trying to bonelax? Adding oil and silk amino acids probably is the culprit for slowing down the processing. But, you got straight at the roots? Wow. If it were zzzzzz______, I'd say do a corrective but, how to get that section without overlapping? How much at the root area is straight and how long did you leave the relaxer in?

Oh, and here's the video that I was referring to.

Let's grow some hair!!

Thanks

@ NJoy- Thanks!!

No, I wasn't trying to bonelax. I like some texture left in my hair. The part of my hair that looks like ____ZZZZ____ is mainly in the back(there are other areas too though). I did start with that section first, because it was underprocessed before, but I underestimated how far down I had to bring the relaxer. Which is why some of the roots are straight and the middle is underprocessed.
    I left the relaxer in for 25 minutes. It took me about 18 to apply to whole head and the remainder was smoothing. But I must say, my hair is extremely tightly coiled, so I probably should have either went to a stylist after a stretch or left out the oil and SAA.
    I'm hoping after doing a henna treatment(mixed with an egg) or a protein treatment, the straighter parts...won't be too straight anymore. (wishful thinking)
    I'm going to ride it out to avoid overprocessing and just tweek my regimen. So, only wash once a week and blow-dry on high/cool air to stretch the underprocessed areas out.

Thanks for responding NJoy, I really appreciatte it!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ms. D For This Useful Post:

NJoy (08-28-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

20 wks post today and doing fine. I'm going to continue on til 24 wks post and then decide whether to texlax or to keep going. If I keep going, it will monitor my hair closely and try to make it to the the 1 yr mark. If I make it that far, then I will officially consider myself transitioning. My last stretch ended at 38 wks. We'll see how long I can last this time.
    Let's grow some hair!!