Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stretching a relaxer? Get in here!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Stretching a relaxer? Get in here!

I'm texlaxed and trying to stretch six months at a time. My last stretch was actually 38 weeks but, handling the ng got a little crazy, not to mention I was under a lot of stress with my mom being sick. I did pretty good but things started getting out of hand around the 7 mos post timeframe. So, I vowed not to stretch longer than 5-6 months at a time until I decide to transition. And before I can successfully transition, I have to learn how to handle my ng. I'm getting better tho. Just looking for others who are stretching to compare notes and encouragement.

I'll be 16 wks post tomorrow and plan to texlax at 6 months post. Anyone else?
    Let's grow some hair!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Stretching a relaxer? Get in here!

I used to relax every 6 weeks and I will never go back to that again. The earliest I will relax is 8 weeks, the norm is 10 weeks, and the most is 12 weeks. When I really get a handle on keeping my newgrowth manageable, I wouldn't mind going longer than 12.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Girl, I used to do 12 weeks out of sheer laziness. I'm using milk and coconut milk to temporarily loosen the curl pattern in my ng. Seems to be working pretty well so far.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Regular milk? Coconut Milk? I haven't heard of that for new growth. Mine does seem to be a little more manageable after the henna.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ive tried stretching... I think im just one ofo those head of hair that cant.... Just posted a blog about this. This is just after a 12week stretch
    IMAG0571.jpg

I can try some of the suggestions but if anything I need moisture since my hair is protein-sensitive.
    Happy Hair Journey

Thanks

I stretch my relaxer 4 months at a time. This stretch, I am using braids and twists (took my braids out and now in twists) as a protective style. I am now 13 weeks post and because my last relaxer left me underprocessed, I feel like I am like 5 months post. I don't use direct heat. I only used it once this year and wont flat-iron until December for a length check.
    Now it is reeeeaallly tough keeping my new-growth from tangling, so the longest I can last with my hair out (braid-out or PS) is like 1 week which is why I am in twists.

I do monthly henna or henna gloss treatments (helps loosen my new-growth), add black strap molasses to my DC's sometimes (this helps soften my new-growth) and I use Aloe Vera Juice to Detangle. So far, those are the only things that really helped me when I'm not in braids and twists.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    Regular milk? Coconut Milk? I haven't heard of that for new growth. Mine does seem to be a little more manageable after the henna.
    It's the lactic acid in milk that helps. So, you'll also hear some using yogurt (whole fat, not the low fat kind) and buttermilk too. I'm not really sure what's in the coconut cream that helps (I use coconut cream. It's thicker). So, for a thicker mix, I use plain yogurt. If I don't have that handy, I make a spray mix with regular milk or buttermilk. I just used it last night. You can tell in the shower that it loosens that hair because it just hangs better. And then doing an oil rinse afterwards makes my hair heavier in the shower. I LOVE the feeling because you can really feel the length of your hair and it feels thicker because of the weight of the oil.

I don't know if I mentioned that I bun and allow my hair to airdry. When it dries, it's really moisturized and easy to finger detangle.

I henna to loosen ng too but, I worry about using henna in my stretch if my hair's not thoroughly detangled. It just seems it would cement in the tangles. Probably not but, that's what's in the back of my mind. I also indigo so, when I henna when I need to indigo...which is now, really. I'm thinking I'll probably henna a couple days after I do the coconut/milk treatment so that my tangles aren't such a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. D View Post
    I stretch my relaxer 4 months at a time. This stretch, I am using braids and twists (took my braids out and now in twists) as a protective style. I am now 13 weeks post and because my last relaxer left me underprocessed, I feel like I am like 5 months post. I don't use direct heat. I only used it once this year and wont flat-iron until December for a length check.
    Now it is reeeeaallly tough keeping my new-growth from tangling, so the longest I can last with my hair out (braid-out or PS) is like 1 week which is why I am in twists.

I do monthly henna or henna gloss treatments (helps loosen my new-growth), add black strap molasses to my DC's sometimes (this helps soften my new-growth) and I use Aloe Vera Juice to Detangle. So far, those are the only things that really helped me when I'm not in braids and twists.
    molasses and honey are both humectants and attract moisture into the strands. Definitely a must in any moisturizing DC. I've started adding aloe juice to my regular conditioners because it definitely helps with detangling. Which brand of henna do you use? And, are you natural? TIA

I'm SO wanting to get my hair braided but, I don't trust anyone to "gently" braid my hair. Everyone I know braids so hard. Yowch! If I can just learn to cornrow my own hair, it would be game over!

Anyone know of any good tutorials. I've watched a few on youtube but just can't seem to get it. I can braid other's hair but not my own.
    Let's grow some hair!!

Thanks

@NJoy- I use Karishma Henna- I love it! I used to use Jamila, but Karishma contains pure henna, amla, shikakai, aritha, bhringraj and selected herbs...so far so good. I also Indigo- Well I haven't since Nov. because I'm in constant PS's. I love the Jet black color it produces though!
    No, I'm not natural...just a long term stretcher. I just love protective styling.

If I find some good braiding YT vids. I'll pass it on. If I were a camera person, I would do a tutorial to help people out. When it comes to braids, I think it's best if people do it themselves, unless they find a great braider/stylist, to avoid any set-backs

Thanks

I'm 17 wks post texlax. I've been on my HJ since '09 and have tried to transition a few times. For now I'm going to just continue stretching my relaxers as long as I can. If I can reach a year stretching, then I'll probably transition. So far so good.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm 17 wks post on Tuesday. But, because my last texlax was a light texlaxing, my hair's acting much further along. I know from experience that my hair starts giving me problems around 20 wks post. Well, I'm having problems now. I made a blog post entitled "Mayhem". I'm going to try to detangle my hair today. If it works out ok, I'll flat iron my "lightly texlaxed sections" so that I can get my hair braided. If I have a hard time, I'm going to do a corrective to get rid of the texlaxed hair.

I'll still stretch my relaxers but won't bother with lightly texlaxing again. And I'll build up my relaxed hair with henna and adding Silk to my DCing. My ng is fine. I don't think the tangling is my natural hair at all so, maybe I'll transition to natural....after I reach my length goal.

*sigh* Not really feeling like detangling right now. Ah well.

How's everyone else doing? How far along are you? And how long are you planning to stretch your relaxers?
    Let's grow some hair!!