Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone in braids for ps?

Thanks

Re: Anyone in braids for ps?

Hey ladies, I think a lot of women are kinda iffy about getting them because of the build up at the roots and when you try to take it out hair comes out. Some don't wash them at all because the style can mess up and start to look ragedy. I remember one time I had micros with wet n wavy human hair and when I went to wash them, the hair got all matted up. Maybe my technique was wrong...lol..but I would like to get them myself to help me out with my stretch because stretching really helped me in fullness and length but I'm not a big styler and styles just don't seem to look right when I try to do them on my own. The only time braid outs look nice is like right after a relaxer, either than that I need some help! Lol...I guess we just have to take care of it like we would do our regular hair, while protecting the style at the same time. Right about now my roots are getting too wild to tamper with and Ima have to relax just so I can manage my hair w/o breakage. It makes no sense to stretch if you end up losing hair. So yes, I'm willing to learn a few tips myself on braid maintenance

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tweety For This Useful Post:

mividabella (11-03-2011), NJoy (11-04-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tweety View Post
    Hey ladies, I think a lot of women are kinda iffy about getting them because of the build up at the roots and when you try to take it out hair comes out. Some don't wash them at all because the style can mess up and start to look ragedy. I remember one time I had micros with wet n wavy human hair and when I went to wash them, the hair got all matted up. Maybe my technique was wrong...lol..but I would like to get them myself to help me out with my stretch because stretching really helped me in fullness and length but I'm not a big styler and styles just don't seem to look right when I try to do them on my own. The only time braid outs look nice is like right after a relaxer, either than that I need some help! Lol...I guess we just have to take care of it like we would do our regular hair, while protecting the style at the same time. Right about now my roots are getting too wild to tamper with and Ima have to relax just so I can manage my hair w/o breakage. It makes no sense to stretch if you end up losing hair. So yes, I'm willing to learn a few tips myself on braid maintenance
    Tweety, it seems micros would be damaging to the hair. I'm always concerned when I see someone with micros because I think there's strength in numbers. So, the more hair in the braid, the more it's able to bear the weight of added hair. It just seems like ladies in micros should get a lot of breakage. Is that not true?
    Let's grow some hair!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NJoy View Post
    Tweety, it seems micros would be damaging to the hair. I'm always concerned when I see someone with micros because I think there's strength in numbers. So, the more hair in the braid, the more it's able to bear the weight of added hair. It just seems like ladies in micros should get a lot of breakage. Is that not true?

Ummm that's a good analogy, and I could definitely see the logic in it. When I was wearing them I never experienced alot of breakage though, and this was before I even knew about a HJ. Since I knew how to braid, what I used to do was re-braid my edges for neatness sake so it never really accumulated alot of buildup. I tried to keep them moisturized if they looked dry, etc. The only thing that I couldn't get correct was washing them without it getting all matted up. Another thing I used to do was braid the middle portion bigger than the perimeter. I guess like with everything, it depends on how you take them out, and care for them while their in. I don't like for braids to be tight either, that's a no-no! I always used to get human hair also, which is lighter imo than synthetic. Also, some people don't braid all the way down and they tie it on a knot, which is another no-no. I always made sure the length of my hair was braided and I left a little out for the wavy look.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tweety For This Useful Post:

NJoy (11-06-2011)

Thanks

Re: Happy New Year and Manifestations!
    Last edited by tallnomad; 05-28-2015 at 06:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I wear my hair in 6-8 braids because the number is manageable for regular moisture/seal regi and to rebraid for neatness. But even with just these few braids, I was finding that my shed hairs slide down to the ends (somehow) and tangle my braids together. But, I've started putting Crisco on the ends of my braids so that I don't have that issue anymore.

The only thing that keeps me from going with more braids than that is the upkeep. I hate for braids to start looking fuzzy. Otherwise, I think if you kept your ends protected, there should be no problem with braids. But, that's just my opionion. Hopefully others will have some advice for you.
    Let's grow some hair!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NJoy For This Useful Post:

tallnomad (01-06-2012)