Jlissa's Journey

My Random Thoughts and Questions

Rate this Entry
These are just things that I've been reflecting on for the past couple of weeks. And it's funny that Tink directed me to link that answered some of my questions.

Why do we only spend a couple of minutes every day with God? I can spend hours with my husband, and spend hours watching a movie. Why does God only get 30 minutes of my time? How can I want to be in the presence of God? Especially since I've learned that you don't feel God, you just have to know that God is there.

Why don't I want to read the bible more? I love to read. But I only allocate 30 minutes to reading the bible. Why? And will this change as I get to know and love God?

What do I do to insure that my love for God is real? I've lived my life faking emotions and relationships. And taking things for granted. And not appreciating things that I've been given. And I can fake goodness. How do I know that my love for God will be real? How do I guarantee that I not just doing this for accolades?

I know we need to renew our minds on a daily basis. But how do you remove decades of wrong thinking? Especially if you're still watching tv programs, and movies, and listening to the music. And reading the books and newspapers.

This winter I wanted to start learning film making. But now I'm questioning that decision. I believe that the media is a tool of evil. It's the fastest, most efficient way to distribute lies and evil's agenda. Can this tool be used for God? I know Christians are using it. But in my mind, no one except for God knows if these people are truly Christians or not.

We are commanded " not to love the world or the things in it." How do we do this? By learning to love God more? By not getting involved in worldly things, like politics? By being in the world, having worldly things but not getting attached to it?

How do I deal with giving up all of my music, and books?

If our body is the temple for the Holy Spirit, why don't we take better care of it? I mean we wouldn't put trash and garbage in our churches. But we do it with our bodies. We are told "to honor God with your body." Is fast food, fried foods etc honoring God? What does this mean? And how do we do it?

I recently learned that I have to trust God and have faith, even when it's something I don't want. Because even though I think it's the worst thing for me----God knows better

Updated 08-09-2011 at 01:27 PM by jlissa

Tags: jlissa, questions Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Random Jlissa Thoughts

Comments

Wow. I see your brain has really been at it! lol - Well, I'll answer just a few questions based on my personal experience.

Q. Why does God only get 30 minutes of my time? How can I want to be in the presence of God?
    A. Don't get stuck on numbers. It's not the quantity, it's the QUALITY. I recently read a book called Practicing the Presence of God that really taught me how to abide in His presence at all times. When you do everything you do for the love of God, He is there and you are spending time with him. Whatever you do, direct your thoughts toward Him and include Him in it. That way, you're spending time with Him!!! So rather than keeping you away from God, your daily activities are actually drawing you closer to Him!!! For example, when doing your hair maintenance, thank Him for blessing you with hair. Ask him to teach you how to care for it properly. Pray for those who are having problems with their hair. Think about scriptures related to hair like the woman who dried Jesus's feet with her hair...etc. This applies to anything you do: dishes, laundry, etc. Keep your mind on God! I find it difficult but I'm still working on it and I love it!!!

Q. I know we need to renew our minds on a daily basis. But how do you remove decades of wrong thinking?
    A. It takes time. The best thing I ever did for my jacked up mind was read "Battlefield of the Mind" by Joyce Meyer. Go buy it. If you can't afford it, check it out from the library. Ask someone who loves you to buy it for you and tell them you really need it. After you use that book to get rid of wrong thinking, read her newer book "Power Thoughts" to teach you how to think the right way ;-)

Q. This winter I wanted to start learning film making. But now I'm questioning that decision. I believe that the media is a tool of evil.
    A. Anything can be used for evil. Alot of evil comes from the media but so does alot of good. If you're considering film making as a career, I think you should pray and ask God if that's what He wants you to do. If He does, go for it and trust Him to use your film making career for GOOD, not evil. And don't forget me when you're rich and famous ;-)

Q. We are commanded " not to love the world or the things in it." How do we do this?
    A. Although we are IN the world, we are not OF the world. We should not be conformed to this world. Christ associated with sinners because that's who he came to call to repentance but he did not become like them. You can't live in a bubble. You're called to let your light shine so you need to be around those who need that light. Just don't become like them.

Q. How do I deal with giving up all of my music, and books?
    A. The more you grow, the less you will desire those things. God deals with us little by little so don't beat yourself up about it. I used to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Outkast! That was my group! When I became a Christian, I still listened to them. But the more I grew, the more distasteful it was to me. I was also hooked on romance novels and I had to get rid of that trash! lol I still listen to some of my favorite music as long as the lyrics are not inappropriate...God will let you know what to get rid of and little by little, your taste will change and you won't have to force it!

Q. If our body is the temple for the Holy Spirit, why don't we take better care of it?
    A. In my case, it's bad habits. But I'm praying and asking God to help me to take better care of my body.

Q. We are told "to honor God with your body." Is fast food, fried foods etc honoring God? What does this mean? And how do we do it?
    A. You honor God with your body by using it to bring glory to Him. Use your body for good. Obey His word. His word says that he likes balance. So I don't think one big mac from McDonald's is dishonoring. It may not be the healthiest choice though.

And lastly, I just want to say that any relationship takes time to develop. You grow closer just by spending time together. Don't legalize your relationship with God. Relax, and enjoy getting to know Him! Let His peace rule in your heart. Maybe read Michelle McKinney Hammond's book "Get A Love Life - How To Have A Love Affair With God". I wish you well! Glad to see you're so on FIYAH! lol
    Thank you doesn't say enough. I'm reading the book by brother Lawrence, and the thing that really resonated is

"...Whatever becomes of me, whether I be lost or saved, I will always continue to act purely for the love of God."

I felt something when I read this. And things just started clicking. And I realize this is the kind of faith and love that I want to have for God.

I received so much understanding from that one paragraph. I don't even know if I can explain it to you.

Not being selfish in my worship. At church I'm constantly learning about the blessings, the gifts, the things that God does for us. And the things we need to do to receive those things. But I'm not being taught to just love God. It seems like I'm being taught to love God because of what HE does for me( and others). To love HIM because he blesses us. To love HIM because he offers us salvation. To love him because HE gave us life.

It doesn't matter if I'm saved, or blessed or given gifts. What that sentence means to me is to just love GOD for being GOD. And to love GOD through my actions.

It's the difference between loving someone because they treat you nicely, and protect you and give you things; and loving someone just for being. Just for existing.

And I don't know, but my whole body just reacted to that line. And it felt like something left. I am so glad I started this journal and decided to just be honest. And to ask the questions I normally wouldn't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink
    Wow. I see your brain has really been at it! lol - Well, I'll answer just a few questions based on my personal experience.

Q. Why does God only get 30 minutes of my time? How can I want to be in the presence of God?
    A. Don't get stuck on numbers. It's not the quantity, it's the QUALITY. I recently read a book called Practicing the Presence of God that really taught me how to abide in His presence at all times. When you do everything you do for the love of God, He is there and you are spending time with him. Whatever you do, direct your thoughts toward Him and include Him in it. That way, you're spending time with Him!!! So rather than keeping you away from God, your daily activities are actually drawing you closer to Him!!! For example, when doing your hair maintenance, thank Him for blessing you with hair. Ask him to teach you how to care for it properly. Pray for those who are having problems with their hair. Think about scriptures related to hair like the woman who dried Jesus's feet with her hair...etc. This applies to anything you do: dishes, laundry, etc. Keep your mind on God! I find it difficult but I'm still working on it and I love it!!!

Q. I know we need to renew our minds on a daily basis. But how do you remove decades of wrong thinking?
    A. It takes time. The best thing I ever did for my jacked up mind was read "Battlefield of the Mind" by Joyce Meyer. Go buy it. If you can't afford it, check it out from the library. Ask someone who loves you to buy it for you and tell them you really need it. After you use that book to get rid of wrong thinking, read her newer book "Power Thoughts" to teach you how to think the right way ;-)

Q. This winter I wanted to start learning film making. But now I'm questioning that decision. I believe that the media is a tool of evil.
    A. Anything can be used for evil. Alot of evil comes from the media but so does alot of good. If you're considering film making as a career, I think you should pray and ask God if that's what He wants you to do. If He does, go for it and trust Him to use your film making career for GOOD, not evil. And don't forget me when you're rich and famous ;-)

Q. We are commanded " not to love the world or the things in it." How do we do this?
    A. Although we are IN the world, we are not OF the world. We should not be conformed to this world. Christ associated with sinners because that's who he came to call to repentance but he did not become like them. You can't live in a bubble. You're called to let your light shine so you need to be around those who need that light. Just don't become like them.

Q. How do I deal with giving up all of my music, and books?
    A. The more you grow, the less you will desire those things. God deals with us little by little so don't beat yourself up about it. I used to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Outkast! That was my group! When I became a Christian, I still listened to them. But the more I grew, the more distasteful it was to me. I was also hooked on romance novels and I had to get rid of that trash! lol I still listen to some of my favorite music as long as the lyrics are not inappropriate...God will let you know what to get rid of and little by little, your taste will change and you won't have to force it!

Q. If our body is the temple for the Holy Spirit, why don't we take better care of it?
    A. In my case, it's bad habits. But I'm praying and asking God to help me to take better care of my body.

Q. We are told "to honor God with your body." Is fast food, fried foods etc honoring God? What does this mean? And how do we do it?
    A. You honor God with your body by using it to bring glory to Him. Use your body for good. Obey His word. His word says that he likes balance. So I don't think one big mac from McDonald's is dishonoring. It may not be the healthiest choice though.

And lastly, I just want to say that any relationship takes time to develop. You grow closer just by spending time together. Don't legalize your relationship with God. Relax, and enjoy getting to know Him! Let His peace rule in your heart. Maybe read Michelle McKinney Hammond's book "Get A Love Life - How To Have A Love Affair With God". I wish you well! Glad to see you're so on FIYAH! lol
    That's so wonderful that you're learning to love Him! His word says that we love Him because He first loved us. Here is part 1 of a message called Knowing God. I hope it blesses you! =)

http://www.joycemeyer.org/BroadcastH...E2%80%93_Pt_1_