hairexpert

Do Not Shampoo Hair After Removing Weaves, Dreadlocks ,Braids, Twists or Extensions

Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
After taking down braids, sew-in weaves, twists or extensions, the first thought is to shampoo your hair. Well that is the WORSE thing you could do. Your hair will just become matted. Hair that has been in a protective style for long periods of time must be detangled and combed through first before it gets wet.

If you are transitioning, your hair will tangle even faster-because of the hair texture changes with your new growth. Most women who are transitioning expect their hair journey to be a learning experience in getting to know their natural hair again. However what they don't expect is to battle with the changes in hair texture-that cause severely tangled matted knotty hair.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sew in weave removal.jpg 
Views:	10595 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	428
With super Tangled Knotted Matted Hair becoming a new cause for increased hair loss. Women transitioning need to embrace the challenge of learning how to properly detangle their hair.

Dry hair detangling is never considered when the hair becomes very tangled, knotted or matted. The first solution that most people consider is to wet the hair immediately and use hair conditioner. In some cases for natural hair that has and is a great solution, however when the hair is severely matted or tangled-itís the worse solution!

Wearing protective hair styles such as braids, hair extensions, temporary dreadlocks, twists or sew-in hair weaves for long periods of time (over 4weeks) can definitely cause the roots of the hair to begin to get matted or tangled from oil build up and dust.

After removing these hairstyles, most women assume they should just shampoo their hair. When they do proceed to shampoo their hair, the hair just sticks together in to one big matted mass or knots and clumps.

Conditioners are not really designed to detangle horribly knotty tangled matted hair. Dry hair detanglers like the Take Down Remover Cream work fast at softening the hair so if your hair is very dry it will be moisturized before you start to untangle the knots. Patience is also needed when detangling dry hair-because if you rush, the hair can break easily.

If your hair is natural and you are dealing with depression, hospitalization, improper removal of braids, weaves, hair extensions or dreadlocks- it can led to knots, clumps, or masses of tangled matted hair.

The most important thing to remember is to first use a dry detangler like the Take Down Remover cream on your hair BEFORE you remove your micro-braids, weaves, two-strand twists or dreadlocks.

Comments

I think I tried Take Down to help with knotting because of this post. It did help to loosen some matting but did nothing for my knots. Further, I was apprehensive about using it because it lists "Borax" as an ingredient. So, after using it, I had to thoroughly wash and DC my hair...even tho the knots were still in. I didn't want to risk just leaving it in my hair.

I won't be repurchasing Take Down for any future detangling.

Oh, I cut my knots out, btw. I'm ok with that tho. The relaxed ends needed to go. This was just a push to move forward.
    This video on Youtube shows you how to get the KNOTS OUT. Sorry you didn't see it first. Keep pushing forward

Updated 08-04-2012 at 01:10 PM by hairexpert