NJoy's Diva Spot

Monday morning update. 2-13-12

Rate this Entry
Hello Divas! Well, I'll be 43 wks post texlax tomorrow and all's well. I will admit that I had some thoughts about relaxing last night. Not that I'm itching to relax. But wondering why I'm transitioning to natural when the styles that I prefer to wear will require me to flat iron. And if there's one thing I know for sure is that I HATE flat ironing.

I wonder if breaking the bonds in my hair with relaxer would be so terrible if I'm able to rebuild strength with regular henna treatments.

Ah well. It was a fleeting thought. I'm certainly not going to make any hasty moves in the midst of confusion. And besides, I LOVE the thickness of my unrelaxed hair. Just don't know if I love the work needed to style it.

Any thoughts you'd like to share either way?

Now onto fitness!

I'm VERY excited to be getting close to my fitness goal for this year. I've cleaned up my eating A LOT!!! I'm drinking lots of water and exercising (uh, not as consistently as I'd like. But I'm getting there). And I've also started taking CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) since Dr Oz mentioned it being a belly fat buster on his show. Since I've started taking CLA last Tuesday (6 days ago), I've lost 7 lbs and my waist has dropped 1.5". Now, I'm not sure if 1.5" is since last Tuesday but from the last time I measured (which couldn't have been much more than a week or two ago. I'm obsessed with the tape).

I took a comparison pic in my goal pic pose. I think it's absolutely necessary to take pics along the way so that you can see things falling into place...or off, whichever way you like to look at it.

I am THRILLED with my progress so far. I've lost enough belly fat to start seeing my ab muscles peeking thru. Also, the back rolls are gone, baby. Well, I still have the indentation of where the roll would be so, I need to find a way to "iron" out that lil wrinkle. But overall, things are coming along nicely.

I'd post fitness pics but would hate to find 'em floating around on the internet. Maybe after I meet my goal. We'll see.

Anyone else working on fitness? How's it going?

TTFN
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

The last few years I was texlaxed I used to stretch for a year at time, and I knew I was planning on going natural, so I realized the length of stretching time and goal made no sense.

So it was easy to "transition", everyone thought I was natural anyway.

7 lbs in a week? That's amazing.

Good luck with your fitness goals!
    I understand completely what you're going through. I am deciding myself if I want to transition to natural or get a relaxer. I'm 38 weeks post and I was getting the itch. I like wearing my hair straight and after reading hair blogs and watching the techniques they use at salons I have become pretty good at flat ironing my hair.

I am really trying to get my health together as well. I have started to exercise, not regularly and I have been drinking so much water that I feel like I'm running to the bathroom every hour on the hour.

I haven't noticed a difference in my hair yet, but I definitely notice a difference in my skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsDarling
    The last few years I was texlaxed I used to stretch for a year at time, and I knew I was planning on going natural, so I realized the length of stretching time and goal made no sense.

So it was easy to "transition", everyone thought I was natural anyway.

7 lbs in a week? That's amazing.

Good luck with your fitness goals!
    I think once I cut the bonelaxed end, it may be easier. It's hard to tell what's natural and what's texlaxed.

And yeah, that 7 lbs is amazing. I was floored when I was down 5 lbs by the 3rd day after starting Dr. Oz's plan. It certainly has me motivated.
    Quote Originally Posted by kitamay
    I understand completely what you're going through. I am deciding myself if I want to transition to natural or get a relaxer. I'm 38 weeks post and I was getting the itch. I like wearing my hair straight and after reading hair blogs and watching the techniques they use at salons I have become pretty good at flat ironing my hair.

I am really trying to get my health together as well. I have started to exercise, not regularly and I have been drinking so much water that I feel like I'm running to the bathroom every hour on the hour.

I haven't noticed a difference in my hair yet, but I definitely notice a difference in my skin.
    Girl, my problem with flat ironing is mostly the time that it takes. Tooooo much. I always have to flat iron with a fan on just to keep me from sweating my hair out before I'm finished. And I rarely can do it all without stopping. Toooooo much. But I'm going to try these curlformers and hope to have success with them.

As for drinking water, the bathroom runs will slow up as your body adjusts. I think you'll notice the benefit to your hair soon enough. It seems the months that I consistently drank a good amount of water, my hair grew best.

Keep me posted on what you decide with your hair. Are you stretching or transitioning.

I think I'm going to try to make it to 52 wks and then either continue transitioning or go ahead and texlax. I'll know by then but for now, I'm flip flopping back and forth as I try to kick this thing around. What ta do, Lawd? What to do?
    I certainly feel your pain when it comes to making that decision. I know that once I reach my desired length and thickness/fullness, I will be faced with the same decision. I prefer the way my hair looks straight, and the only reason I decided to go natural, is really to give my hair a break from the relaxers and give it an oppty to get back healthy. Because in addition to the relaxers, I was getting extensions on a regular basis, and really just had no idea what good hair care was. Now that I've been on hair forums and blogs like this one, I've learned so much about my hair, and what to do to take care of it, both in its natural state and in its permed state. If I knew what I now know a few years ago....I would've probably just changed my hair care regimen and kept my hair in its relaxed state. But since I'm only recently finding out that I've been doing everything all wrong, the damage had already been done, and I figured I'd be better off just starting over, so I that was my motivation for going to natural. Sooooo I will definitely be considering returning to the creamy crack....I just know that I have a ways to go before I can even consider it. I am very happy that in the meantime, I have several wig options that I can use until I get there.

Classygyrl08
    Regarding your fitness progress.....I'm soooo happy to hear your results. I'm working on getting in shape as well, but have been inconsistent with my workout regimen. I'm super impressed with the results you achieved using the CLA. How many milligrams were you taking per day? Please share. Also, did you take it before exercising, or after exercising?

I would like to try it to see if it will help me as well.

Thanks.

Classygyrl08
    Quote Originally Posted by classygyrl08
    Regarding your fitness progress.....I'm soooo happy to hear your results. I'm working on getting in shape as well, but have been inconsistent with my workout regimen. I'm super impressed with the results you achieved using the CLA. How many milligrams were you taking per day? Please share. Also, did you take it before exercising, or after exercising?

I would like to try it to see if it will help me as well.

Thanks.

Classygyrl08
    I take the recommended dosage of 2 (1000 mg) capsules twice a day. Dr Oz says it increases the metabolism and burns belly fat (he touched briefly on there being different types of fat and I know my Doctor friend talked to my about that extensively). He also said that it also helps to build lean muscle mass. So, even though I noticed a quick loss, because I'm building muscle, I'm not expecting the pounds to continue falling as quickly. I also notice that my thighs and rear are firming up.

Other info that I found on CLA (excerpted from http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mike8.htm)
    Background Information and Benefits of CLA

Conjugated Linoleic Acid is a slightly altered form of linoleic acid (LA), an omega-6 fatty acid important to human health. Omega-6 fatty acids are derived from the foods we eat primarily from meat and dairy products [13]. Therefore, CLA is primarily found in meat and diary products.

Scientific interest in CLA was first stimulated in 1988 when a University of Wisconsin researcher discovered its cancer-fighting properties in a study of rats fed fried hamburger [8]. CLA cannot be produced by the human body, but it can be obtained through foods such as whole milk, butter, beef, and lamb.

Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is a potent anti-oxidant, anti-carcinogen, and anti-catabolite, as well as a powerful immune system enhancer [1]. Some of the common accolades of CLA are assistance in fat burning, building and retention of lean muscle, and is a cancer fighter.

Some of the most known suggested benefits of CLA supplementation include:

Increased metabolic rate -- This would obviously be a positive benefit for any type of athlete that is trying to lose weight and improve body composition.

Enhanced muscle growth -- Muscle burns fat, which also contributes to increased metabolism, which is useful in weight loss and management.

Lowers cholesterol and triglycerides -- Since many people these days have elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels, even with treatment, this benefit can have an impact on any person who has high cholesterol.

Lowers insulin resistance -- Lowering insulin resistance has been shown to help prevent adult-onset diabetes and make it easier to control weight.

Reduces food-induced allergic reactions -- Since food allergies can be at play when weight loss becomes difficult, this can be of help.

Enhances immune system - With the variety of bacteria and poor immune systems in contemporary society, enhancing the immune system's ability to function properly is a positive benefit to all.
    CLA supplementation was also shown to improve the lean mass to body fat ratio, decreasing fat deposition, especially on the abdomen, and enhancing muscle growth. CLA achieves this reaction by it reduces body fat by enhancing insulin sensitivity so that fatty acids and glucose can pass through muscle cell membranes and away from fat tissue [2]. This results in an improved muscle to fat ratio.

Compelling evidence also indicates that CLA can promote youthful metabolic function and reduce body fat. The unique mechanism by which this fatty acid protects against disease makes it an important addition to any supplement program.
    This is all old news to bodybuilders. But new news to the rest of us, thanks to Dr. Oz.

I told my hubby about it and he definitely notices the difference. Now he's taking CLA.
    Have you noticed a decrease in appetite at all? I didn't really notice when I was taking them. I'm trying to lose the belly and gain some weight at the same time! Lol haha
    I can't really say that it cuts my appetite because I still eat healthy snacks between meals - fruits and nuts mainly. It does help with building lean muscle tho and muscle is heavier than fat. So techically, with weight training, you can gain weight.

And don't quote me here because I'm tryinh to remember what my doctor-friend told me but, it works onbelly fat because it's more vascular. You won't lose booty fat, which is what I did not want to lose. But the raspberry keytones work on all over fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by NJoy
    I can't really say that it cuts my appetite because I still eat healthy snacks between meals - fruits and nuts mainly. It does help with building lean muscle tho and muscle is heavier than fat. So techically, with weight training, you can gain weight.

And don't quote me here because I'm tryinh to remember what my doctor-friend told me but, it works onbelly fat because it's more vascular. You won't lose booty fat, which is what I did not want to lose. But the raspberry keytones work on all over fat.
    Great! Because I'm tryna get some meat on these bones! Lol...Can't afford to lose anything, only the belly of course! Lol