Blog Comments

It's by David J Schwartz. I keep having ah-ha moments reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by NJoy
    Powerful stuff! And that sounds like a really good book. Who's the author?
    Powerful stuff! And that sounds like a really good book. Who's the author?
    Wow. Thank you for sharing. Again, this is powerful stuff. Glory to God!
    Powerful entry Jlissa. Thank you for sharing. You're setting somebody free right now.
    That is a very touching story. If you can, try to have a movie date with your hubby and watch Fireproof. Great movie about marriage.
    Wow!!! Now THAT's what I'm talking about! Do life BIG! Congratulations on all that you've been blessed with this weekend and your lifechanging decisions made. It all sounds VERY exciting!
    Thanks. Yes, I'm getting excited about my decision. I always wanted to live overseas. And this challenge along with others things, helped me to open my eyes. And see that it can be easily done.
    That's wonderful! Being baptized in the Jordan is so special. I wish you well =)
    Wow!!! Now THAT's what I'm talking about! Do life BIG! Congratulations on all that you've been blessed with this weekend and your lifechanging decisions made. It all sounds VERY exciting!
    That's so wonderful that you're learning to love Him! His word says that we love Him because He first loved us. Here is part 1 of a message called Knowing God. I hope it blesses you! =)

http://www.joycemeyer.org/BroadcastH...E2%80%93_Pt_1_
    Thank you doesn't say enough. I'm reading the book by brother Lawrence, and the thing that really resonated is

"...Whatever becomes of me, whether I be lost or saved, I will always continue to act purely for the love of God."

I felt something when I read this. And things just started clicking. And I realize this is the kind of faith and love that I want to have for God.

I received so much understanding from that one paragraph. I don't even know if I can explain it to you.

Not being selfish in my worship. At church I'm constantly learning about the blessings, the gifts, the things that God does for us. And the things we need to do to receive those things. But I'm not being taught to just love God. It seems like I'm being taught to love God because of what HE does for me( and others). To love HIM because he blesses us. To love HIM because he offers us salvation. To love him because HE gave us life.

It doesn't matter if I'm saved, or blessed or given gifts. What that sentence means to me is to just love GOD for being GOD. And to love GOD through my actions.

It's the difference between loving someone because they treat you nicely, and protect you and give you things; and loving someone just for being. Just for existing.

And I don't know, but my whole body just reacted to that line. And it felt like something left. I am so glad I started this journal and decided to just be honest. And to ask the questions I normally wouldn't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink
    Wow. I see your brain has really been at it! lol - Well, I'll answer just a few questions based on my personal experience.

Q. Why does God only get 30 minutes of my time? How can I want to be in the presence of God?
    A. Don't get stuck on numbers. It's not the quantity, it's the QUALITY. I recently read a book called Practicing the Presence of God that really taught me how to abide in His presence at all times. When you do everything you do for the love of God, He is there and you are spending time with him. Whatever you do, direct your thoughts toward Him and include Him in it. That way, you're spending time with Him!!! So rather than keeping you away from God, your daily activities are actually drawing you closer to Him!!! For example, when doing your hair maintenance, thank Him for blessing you with hair. Ask him to teach you how to care for it properly. Pray for those who are having problems with their hair. Think about scriptures related to hair like the woman who dried Jesus's feet with her hair...etc. This applies to anything you do: dishes, laundry, etc. Keep your mind on God! I find it difficult but I'm still working on it and I love it!!!

Q. I know we need to renew our minds on a daily basis. But how do you remove decades of wrong thinking?
    A. It takes time. The best thing I ever did for my jacked up mind was read "Battlefield of the Mind" by Joyce Meyer. Go buy it. If you can't afford it, check it out from the library. Ask someone who loves you to buy it for you and tell them you really need it. After you use that book to get rid of wrong thinking, read her newer book "Power Thoughts" to teach you how to think the right way ;-)

Q. This winter I wanted to start learning film making. But now I'm questioning that decision. I believe that the media is a tool of evil.
    A. Anything can be used for evil. Alot of evil comes from the media but so does alot of good. If you're considering film making as a career, I think you should pray and ask God if that's what He wants you to do. If He does, go for it and trust Him to use your film making career for GOOD, not evil. And don't forget me when you're rich and famous ;-)

Q. We are commanded " not to love the world or the things in it." How do we do this?
    A. Although we are IN the world, we are not OF the world. We should not be conformed to this world. Christ associated with sinners because that's who he came to call to repentance but he did not become like them. You can't live in a bubble. You're called to let your light shine so you need to be around those who need that light. Just don't become like them.

Q. How do I deal with giving up all of my music, and books?
    A. The more you grow, the less you will desire those things. God deals with us little by little so don't beat yourself up about it. I used to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Outkast! That was my group! When I became a Christian, I still listened to them. But the more I grew, the more distasteful it was to me. I was also hooked on romance novels and I had to get rid of that trash! lol I still listen to some of my favorite music as long as the lyrics are not inappropriate...God will let you know what to get rid of and little by little, your taste will change and you won't have to force it!

Q. If our body is the temple for the Holy Spirit, why don't we take better care of it?
    A. In my case, it's bad habits. But I'm praying and asking God to help me to take better care of my body.

Q. We are told "to honor God with your body." Is fast food, fried foods etc honoring God? What does this mean? And how do we do it?
    A. You honor God with your body by using it to bring glory to Him. Use your body for good. Obey His word. His word says that he likes balance. So I don't think one big mac from McDonald's is dishonoring. It may not be the healthiest choice though.

And lastly, I just want to say that any relationship takes time to develop. You grow closer just by spending time together. Don't legalize your relationship with God. Relax, and enjoy getting to know Him! Let His peace rule in your heart. Maybe read Michelle McKinney Hammond's book "Get A Love Life - How To Have A Love Affair With God". I wish you well! Glad to see you're so on FIYAH! lol
    Wow. I see your brain has really been at it! lol - Well, I'll answer just a few questions based on my personal experience.

Q. Why does God only get 30 minutes of my time? How can I want to be in the presence of God?
    A. Don't get stuck on numbers. It's not the quantity, it's the QUALITY. I recently read a book called Practicing the Presence of God that really taught me how to abide in His presence at all times. When you do everything you do for the love of God, He is there and you are spending time with him. Whatever you do, direct your thoughts toward Him and include Him in it. That way, you're spending time with Him!!! So rather than keeping you away from God, your daily activities are actually drawing you closer to Him!!! For example, when doing your hair maintenance, thank Him for blessing you with hair. Ask him to teach you how to care for it properly. Pray for those who are having problems with their hair. Think about scriptures related to hair like the woman who dried Jesus's feet with her hair...etc. This applies to anything you do: dishes, laundry, etc. Keep your mind on God! I find it difficult but I'm still working on it and I love it!!!

Q. I know we need to renew our minds on a daily basis. But how do you remove decades of wrong thinking?
    A. It takes time. The best thing I ever did for my jacked up mind was read "Battlefield of the Mind" by Joyce Meyer. Go buy it. If you can't afford it, check it out from the library. Ask someone who loves you to buy it for you and tell them you really need it. After you use that book to get rid of wrong thinking, read her newer book "Power Thoughts" to teach you how to think the right way ;-)

Q. This winter I wanted to start learning film making. But now I'm questioning that decision. I believe that the media is a tool of evil.
    A. Anything can be used for evil. Alot of evil comes from the media but so does alot of good. If you're considering film making as a career, I think you should pray and ask God if that's what He wants you to do. If He does, go for it and trust Him to use your film making career for GOOD, not evil. And don't forget me when you're rich and famous ;-)

Q. We are commanded " not to love the world or the things in it." How do we do this?
    A. Although we are IN the world, we are not OF the world. We should not be conformed to this world. Christ associated with sinners because that's who he came to call to repentance but he did not become like them. You can't live in a bubble. You're called to let your light shine so you need to be around those who need that light. Just don't become like them.

Q. How do I deal with giving up all of my music, and books?
    A. The more you grow, the less you will desire those things. God deals with us little by little so don't beat yourself up about it. I used to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Outkast! That was my group! When I became a Christian, I still listened to them. But the more I grew, the more distasteful it was to me. I was also hooked on romance novels and I had to get rid of that trash! lol I still listen to some of my favorite music as long as the lyrics are not inappropriate...God will let you know what to get rid of and little by little, your taste will change and you won't have to force it!

Q. If our body is the temple for the Holy Spirit, why don't we take better care of it?
    A. In my case, it's bad habits. But I'm praying and asking God to help me to take better care of my body.

Q. We are told "to honor God with your body." Is fast food, fried foods etc honoring God? What does this mean? And how do we do it?
    A. You honor God with your body by using it to bring glory to Him. Use your body for good. Obey His word. His word says that he likes balance. So I don't think one big mac from McDonald's is dishonoring. It may not be the healthiest choice though.

And lastly, I just want to say that any relationship takes time to develop. You grow closer just by spending time together. Don't legalize your relationship with God. Relax, and enjoy getting to know Him! Let His peace rule in your heart. Maybe read Michelle McKinney Hammond's book "Get A Love Life - How To Have A Love Affair With God". I wish you well! Glad to see you're so on FIYAH! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Believing4Life
    This has truely blessed me because I am going through some difficult trials in my llife so much it is hard to concentrate and pray.
    All I know is " that's when you need to pray the most." I've had a couple of days when it felt like I was crying my heart out. And I just didn't want to talk to God at all. I felt miserable, heartbroken and like God was trying to force me into something I didn't want.

That's when I talked to God. I laid there crying, and just talking to God. Asking HIM questions, and just pouring out my heart. Now the first couple of times I tried, it was too hard. I would start to pray, and just stop. Overcome with pain. But one day it got easier. And I was able to say everything I wanted to say.

And it felt like God answered a lot of my questions. And I understood that it will always be alright. There has never been a time in my life, where things haven't worked out in the end. No matter what obstacles, or speed bumps were thrown in my path----it has always worked out. So my greatest lessons is to trust God and Trust God's plan for your life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink
    I am so excited for you that you are learning the truth that is in God's word. I can tell you from personal experience that you will have to always be on guard against selfishness. I remember saying not too long ago that I'm not a selfish person but I do tend to be "self-absorbed" lol. It's not that I don't care about anyone else it's just that sometimes I'm more focused on myself than I should be. God's word says that we should give EARNEST HEED to the things we have heard so that we do not let them SLIP. If you get a chance, Joyce Meyer is doing a series of foundational teaching. It's called Joyce's Bootcamp and it's really good. You can check out her website and listen to the messages. The first one was August 1st. Keep on growing girl! =)

http://www.joycemeyer.org
    Thanks for the link. It's funny, but I've been thinking about those topics.
    I am so excited for you that you are learning the truth that is in God's word. I can tell you from personal experience that you will have to always be on guard against selfishness. I remember saying not too long ago that I'm not a selfish person but I do tend to be "self-absorbed" lol. It's not that I don't care about anyone else it's just that sometimes I'm more focused on myself than I should be. God's word says that we should give EARNEST HEED to the things we have heard so that we do not let them SLIP. If you get a chance, Joyce Meyer is doing a series of foundational teaching. It's called Joyce's Bootcamp and it's really good. You can check out her website and listen to the messages. The first one was August 1st. Keep on growing girl! =)

http://www.joycemeyer.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Believing4Life
    Jlissa I remember years ago I thought love was a magic moment that happens and last always, actually I remember a few year ago having a debate with a pastor friend of mine who was trying to convince my that love was a choice what do you think?
    I recently learned that love is a choice. And I believe it.

Just like everything we learn, people teach us how to love. They show us by example. And we learn from movies, books, friends, family. As an avid reader I think I learned how to love men from books. What it was supposed to look like, how it was supposed to feel, how people in love were supposed to act. And I tried to fall for men; who acted the way I thought they were supposed to act.

And I really do believe that's what most of us do. We learn what love looks like. And when someone comes close to that we "fall."

But I think it's a choice because of all of the broken marriages, and all of the people falling out of love. People don't fall out of love with their children. You would never tell your child "I don't love you anymore," because they lost a job, or didn't have money, or left the toilet seat up or hurt you........

But people do it all the time with their spouses ( significant other). Love doesn't leave because he can't pay the rent. But marriages are failing for ridiculous reasons. Which proves to me that love is a choice. People choose to love, and then they choose to fall out of love.
    Jlissa I remember years ago I thought love was a magic moment that happens and last always, actually I remember a few year ago having a debate with a pastor friend of mine who was trying to convince my that love was a choice what do you think?
    This has truely blessed me because I am going through some difficult trials in my llife so much it is hard to concentrate and pray.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Intent
    I feel like you just described me. I get the name sweet intentions because I always have the best n loving intent for everyone but I really just like being around others so that Iam not bored. I have just one best friend and everyone else is an associate, I dont call or check up on anyone and friendships just fades away. I spend alot of time alone, being private. Reading books. Overthinking everything in my head especially God and Religion. For awhile now Ive been awared that Iam spiritually-ill and empty. Iam not married but use my relationships for comfort. I think about it now, I didnt love my ex and I dont love my current bf now. Eventhough I want to say it and mean it badly, especially since He absolutely loves me to his core.

Cant believe I just opened up like that but thank you, It most likely was meant for me to read.
    Thank you, I'm glad you replied.I understand wanting to love someone, but just not feeling it. I've actually said that to my husband----" I really want to love you." It was actually a huge shock to me when I realized I didn't love him and never had.

I don't feel empty inside but I do know something is missing. And I truly believe that it's God. And that once I learn how to love from God, I can spread it around to others.
    I think your judgment of yourself is too harsh. I hope that during this spiritual time that the Lord will open your eyes to how He sees you. He certainly does not call you selfish or rebellious. Take all negative judgements that you have about yourself to the Lord and ask Him to show you who you REALLY are and where they're really coming from. I know that you are fearfully and wonderfully made. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. (Ephesians 2:10)

We are all created for a purpose. We spend our lives discovering and walking in that purpose, whether we know it or not. An inventor is not satisfied in doing things the same way and seeks to find a new way. A leader will always rise to the forefront and say "this is the way". An artist can see beauty in chaos or, better yet, can take junk and create a masterpiece. It takes all types to make this world go 'round.

The enemy is the accuser of the bretheren. Confess and repent for those negative things that you believe about yourself. Those thoughts are not of God, who loves you and said there is no condemnation in Christ. Leave those thoughts at the alter (so to speak) and start speaking life over yourself.

Nothing's wrong with being a leader type. Nothing's wrong with wanting to do things differently. Nothing's wrong with caring for yourself in a way that you believe is best for you. Nothing wrong with anything that you said in your post.

You submit to authority-- Teachers and law enforcement. Now submit to the Holy Spirit as you continue to be personally trained for your calling. Everything that you need is already within you. Some things will be challenged by the enemy to derail you. If you are not doing things to the detriment of others, then what da problem is? You sound like a leader to me. Your type is not bad or unusual. There are many of us. If you ooze outside of the box, then maybe you were not called to be boxed. Ask the Lord to remove any hinderances in your life. But in the meantime, be kind to yourself and speak ONLY life over yourself. Trust God to deal with the rest. There may be some hidden pains at the root of your feelings. Giving it over to God signals your readiness to be be healed. Only God knows what that will look like. Trust Him. Your fast is right on time. Maybe there are some things that you weren't ready for earlier. God is the ancient of days. He'll wait for as long as it takes because you are SO loved.

Fasting is about humbling yourself and causing the needs of your flesh to submit to the spirit so that you are able to receive. AWE-SOME!

Ok, I'm gonna shut up now because I'm not the Holy Spirit. But the Holy Spirit will bear witness to all truth so, I'm excited for you and... I'm done.
    Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate you taking the time to write one.

In my blog I do admit that I want to live an authentic life. And part of that is realizing that I do have flaws---big ones. And there are things that I need to change.

For most of my life I've been surrounded by people who forgive me for my rudeness, for my selfishness, for everything that I have done. And it's not done in the spirit of God. It's done for my ego. It's "yes" men flattering me. Because of this I have a very, very huge ego. I expect people to love me. And I'm not expected to give people anything. And I constantly attract these kinds of people.

One examples that illustrate this is:

1. When I was trying to break up with a friend. I'm doing everything to explain why. When I speak to this person the conversation is always about me. And this friend says........" it should be about you. You don't have to listen to me. I just like talking to you." All of my friendships are very one sided and people accept it.

In order for me to change myself, I have to admit the flaws. And that's something I've never done because I didn't have to. I've always walked around thinking I'm perfect, better than people, etc. And people around me just confirmed that.

My blog post doesn't stem from negativity or low self esteem. It comes from absolute truth. I am selfish because people allow me to be selfish. Now that doesn't mean I believe it will always be that way (That's why I am here writing about my journey). It just means that I know what I need to pray about. I know what I want God to help me with.

I really do appreciate your words of wisdom. In my later posts, I'll explain more about my enablers.
    I think your judgment of yourself is too harsh. I hope that during this spiritual time that the Lord will open your eyes to how He sees you. He certainly does not call you selfish or rebellious. Take all negative judgements that you have about yourself to the Lord and ask Him to show you who you REALLY are and where they're really coming from. I know that you are fearfully and wonderfully made. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. (Ephesians 2:10)

We are all created for a purpose. We spend our lives discovering and walking in that purpose, whether we know it or not. An inventor is not satisfied in doing things the same way and seeks to find a new way. A leader will always rise to the forefront and say "this is the way". An artist can see beauty in chaos or, better yet, can take junk and create a masterpiece. It takes all types to make this world go 'round.

The enemy is the accuser of the bretheren. Confess and repent for those negative things that you believe about yourself. Those thoughts are not of God, who loves you and said there is no condemnation in Christ. Leave those thoughts at the alter (so to speak) and start speaking life over yourself.

Nothing's wrong with being a leader type. Nothing's wrong with wanting to do things differently. Nothing's wrong with caring for yourself in a way that you believe is best for you. Nothing wrong with anything that you said in your post.

You submit to authority-- Teachers and law enforcement. Now submit to the Holy Spirit as you continue to be personally trained for your calling. Everything that you need is already within you. Some things will be challenged by the enemy to derail you. If you are not doing things to the detriment of others, then what da problem is? You sound like a leader to me. Your type is not bad or unusual. There are many of us. If you ooze outside of the box, then maybe you were not called to be boxed. Ask the Lord to remove any hinderances in your life. But in the meantime, be kind to yourself and speak ONLY life over yourself. Trust God to deal with the rest. There may be some hidden pains at the root of your feelings. Giving it over to God signals your readiness to be be healed. Only God knows what that will look like. Trust Him. Your fast is right on time. Maybe there are some things that you weren't ready for earlier. God is the ancient of days. He'll wait for as long as it takes because you are SO loved.

Fasting is about humbling yourself and causing the needs of your flesh to submit to the spirit so that you are able to receive. AWE-SOME!

Ok, I'm gonna shut up now because I'm not the Holy Spirit. But the Holy Spirit will bear witness to all truth so, I'm excited for you and... I'm done.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast