PDA

View Full Version : Why Are You Natural/Texlaxed/Relaxed?

Tink
08-04-2013, 03:23 PM
When I first started my hair journey I was already relaxed. I was excited about all the growth that I saw relaxed ladies achieve and I knew that if they could do it, I could do it too! I think I thought briefly about going natural but quickly dismissed the idea because I wanted long hair fast and my relaxed hair was already shoulder length. So originally, I thought of growing my hair to my ultimate goal length of MBL. I figured once there, if I wanted to go natural I would just transition. I feel like with my face shape, long hair looks best on me whether it's natural or relaxed. After having a couple of babies, I toyed around with thoughts of going natural again. But as a busy mom I didn't like the thought of having to learn something new and risk having lots of bad hair days because I didn't know what to do with it. If I could have a full head of long natural hair fast, I would jump on it. But due to impatience, I find myself wanting to stay relaxed. Now I'm curious to know why you decided to go/stay natural/Texlaxed/relaxed. How is it working for you and do you plan to keep your hair that way???

NJoy
08-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Like you, when I started my hair journey, I was already relaxed. Had been since I was about 12. My original goal was to grow my relaxed hair to mbl. Somewhere along the way, I decided to stretch my relaxers. My first stretch, I think I went 14 weeks and decided to stretch longer with the next stretch. At that stretch, I went 6 months and had to relax because I couldn't handle the two textures while I was dealing with my mom's serious health issues. I noticed the night and day difference in texture and decided that I would texlax instead of relaxing bone straight.

I felt good about how thick my hair was looking but even with texlaxing, the difference was stark. So, I decided to do an even longer stretch, six months minimum but aiming for 1 yr. Mostly out of laziness, I held of on relaxing for nearly a year and decided that if I could make it to a year, I would officially consider myself transitioning. And that's what I did.

I transitioned for 17 months, trying to hold out to 20 months so that I could BC at the end of the year. I couldn't hold on. My natural hair had my relaxed AND texlaxed hair looking stringy and thin when wet. I hated seeing that and just decided to get rid of everything that wasn't natural. That was on September 18, 2012.

Now that I'm natural, I'm LOVING my natural hair. Now, if you ask if I've ever considered going back to relaxing, I'd be truthful and say that it has crossed my mind once or twice. Usually it's when I'm having a bad hair (styling) day. I don't have much experience with styling my hair beyond protective styles so, styling is my biggest threat to my natural locks. But, during those times, I simply put my hair away and wait for the feeling to pass. So far, so good. Uh, so far, that is. :giggling:

+++

+

+

Tink
08-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks Njoy! So do you plan to remain natural and what are your goals now?

NJoy
08-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks Njoy! So do you plan to remain natural and what are your goals now?

I do plan to remain natural. I'm seriously going to have to learn how to style it or find someone that I trust to keep it looking nice. I'm very low maintenance/hair lazy when it comes to styling. But, I'm hoping to find a few go to styles that I'll be able to do with not much fuss.

That said, my goal is w'hip (between waist and hip) length hair when flat ironed with a "v" hemline (or maybe a "u"), thick and healthy to the ends. I think that may hang around mbl unstretched. *le sigh* :infatuated: