PDA

View Full Version : New Growth Management

Tink
06-25-2013, 12:29 AM
I need help managing my new growth. I just found out I'm pregnant again and I want to wait til after the first trimester before getting a relaxer and my new growth is trying to take over! Help!

NJoy
06-25-2013, 01:47 PM
I need help managing my new growth. I just found out I'm pregnant again and I want to wait til after the first trimester before getting a relaxer and my new growth is trying to take over! Help!

Moisture is key to keeping the new growth under control. Also, do some hot oil treatments or oil rinse your hair (which is and overnight or hot oil treatment followed by warm water rinse and then cowash). I think if you stay on top of keeping that area moisturized, you'll be fine. Also, the growth you may get just by being pregnant should be substantial. With all of my pregnancies, especially the girls, my hair grew like weeds! If you have a hard time keeping up with your hair, you may want to get it braided down so that you won't have to bother with it. Just a thought. Anywho...congratulations! :yahoo:

Tink
07-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Thank you! It's going a lot better but now I need help with 2 things: my ends, and hairstyles! My ends do not look good at all and I would hate to trim them while my hair isn't straight. I'm concerned that if I do then I'll end up with uneven length when I finally do straighten. I thought of flat ironing first but I doubt I could get my roots really straight. Don't want a blowout. Should I go ahead and trim now or try to preserve them temporarily?

I have been looking so plain wearing my hair in a boring uncute bun. I need style ideas!!! My face is round and whether I weigh a little or a lot I have chubby cheeks so every style doesn't complement my face shape =(

NJoy
07-06-2013, 01:58 PM
So, when you say your ends look bad, are you saying they're split? Or just curling up? If they're split then, yeah, you're going to have to trim and it's gonna take some time to go section by section. I just ordered a hinged comb to use when I eventually flat iron my hair using the comb chase method. I think something like that, or at least combing down to the very ends to get the hair stretched out and then snipping off the ends will work. Or, you can just do mini braids and snip the ends off of each braid.

But if you're not dealing with splits and just unruly ends, don't cut. Just use something heavy on your ends to prevent them from curling onto themselves so much. When I braid my hair, my ends curl and tangle with any sheds in the vicinity. So, I'd been using Crisco (the solid, not the oil) on my ends (after moisturizing, of course, and it works like a charm. I'm experimenting with other butter blends now but, Crisco was my holy grail for the longest with my unruly ends.

As for styles, I feel ya. You do have options tho. My head and face are round so I feel your pain.

Here are some thoughts off the top of my round head:

-- You can get it cornrowed into a cute style,
-- use hair accessories to brighten up a boring bun
-- Make faux buns and faux braids to add style. Here's a good video (http://youtu.be/sDU8sBKlDog)
-- half wigs and wigs, although I know it's hot during the summer so, phonytails over your bun would also add a little diversity.

Girl, youtube protective styles....And let a sista know what you've found. :great:

Tink
07-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Some of my ends are split but some are just raggedy looking. Kinda stringy... I like the twist/snip method you mentioned so I think I will do that. I also plan to henna soon. I will check out that video soon but right now I need to get off the computer and heat up leftover bbq lol