PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about transitioning and I have a question

Blessed1
09-04-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm relaxed and think that I messed up my hair over the summer with swimming and chlorine. My hair is dry and breaking and my ends look horrible. I think now would be a good time to trade in my damaged relaxed hair for healthy natural. My last relaxer was August 2nd. My question is, should I start using products for natural hair now or should I wait until I have some natural hair?

I'm trying Giovanni Direct Leave In because I hear a lot of naturals like it. But for my relaxed hair, I'd been using Garnier Fructis. I'm also using Garnier Fructis shampoo and conditioner and am not sure whether I should change those too. Any help would be appreciated.

NJoy
09-06-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm relaxed and think that I messed up my hair over the summer with swimming and chlorine. My hair is dry and breaking and my ends look horrible. I think now would be a good time to trade in my damaged relaxed hair for healthy natural. My last relaxer was August 2nd. My question is, should I start using products for natural hair now or should I wait until I have some natural hair?

I'm trying Giovanni Direct Leave In because I hear a lot of naturals like it. But for my relaxed hair, I'd been using Garnier Fructis. I'm also using Garnier Fructis shampoo and conditioner and am not sure whether I should change those too. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to get your natural products down. Focus on taking care of your natural hair, which means finding a regi and product that works for you. It's gonna be trial and error as what works for one may not work for another. I tried Giovanni Direct and it was ok. But, I was judging that with mostly relaxed hair. I may switch up to see how my hair responds now that it's nearly natural.

And, don't quote me but, I think I read some negative reviews on GF. Like the intial reaction was good but over time, it was causing damage. Google it. Something made me avoid it. I think there were several of the same sort of comment. But again, don't quote me on that, as it's not my experience.

MsDarling
09-07-2012, 04:00 PM

Hey, Blessed, try Aussie Moist, it's cheapest at Target.

My hair is unrelaxed and I love it as well as V05 which I used almost exclusively when I was texlaxed.

I say trim an inch or half inch every month until you have enough hair with which you feel comfortable.

My last transition, I waited about 9 months, and chopped the relaxed parts.

I used to texlax only once a year, so I was used to having six inches of relaxed hair plus hair that looked unrelaxed on my head during my about 2 years of texlaxing. When I was natural before I was all about puffs and whatnot so I wasn't keen on having hair I couldn't pull back, but after 9 months I got anxious and cut.