PDA

View Full Version : July 2012 Go Hard Challenge

NJoy
06-27-2012, 10:05 PM
July 1st is this Sunday. So that gives me a few days to get my game plan, goals and supplies worked out.

One thing that I'm planning to do is cut back on (if not out) my daily supplements. I've already left biotin alone and I'm still taking quite a few supplements (not all for hair). I'm going thru my stash and hopefully cutting back to 2-3 daily supplements and healthier eating. I don't want to accidentally jack my system up with mega dosing supplements. I've already started detoxing my liver and kidneys in anticipation.

I measured and my hair is 30" from my hairline today. I'm hoping to get at least 3" by September. That means, I need at least 1" in July. Even so, I'm setting my July hair goal at 1.5" of growth. I'll be alternating between massaging sulfur oil and ayurvedic oils. Oh, and no more trims til my cut at the end of the year. I may need to S&D but that's it.

I'm also trying to grow the nails of my right hand out so that they're as long as the left hand. This is going to require regular manicures and hardner, especially on my right hand. My nails seem to be pretty strong but, I did get some chips and breaks in my right hand because I'm a little rough with that hand. They haven't been breaking at all lately but, still needs to grow.

My complexion still needs work. I don't have breakouts anymore since I've stopped the biotin but still have marks that need fading. I've basically been covering with makeup for a flawless look but, I want my own complexion to be that flawless.

And lastly, fitness. *big sigh* I don't want to focus on losing weight as much as toning up, especially my thighs. I've always wanted a little thickness added to my thighs. But now that I've added, I'm right at that point of "whoa!". Shaping and toning. Same with my waist. And, I'd like to strengthen and tone my back. Better eating, adding whey protein drinks and exercising will be my plan.

So far, these are my goals and my plan. Anyone interested in joining me in this challenge?

MsDarling
06-30-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm ready!

For July I will:

Hair: Do castor oil (mixed with almond oil) scalp massages every night, really I can't massage a dry scalp and I just want 3 more inches for my goal of waist, but an inch this month couldn't hurt.
Skin: staying strong with Mederma (though it makes my skin itch, is it the onion?) to help fade marks until the tube finishes, using my green apple peel once each week, using my Montagne Jenuesse masks at least once a week, also my Aveeno clear complexion moisturizer
Nails: I just cut my left hand because my nails are growing so fast and the left retains too much and one had chipped and I decided to cut all. I will just maintain neat short nails, I can't deal with the speed of my nails growing and cutting those that chip, etc
Overall physical health: cutting out sweets and junk, I'll give myself one cheat per week, cheats cannot be rolled over, this is not AT&T:hand: At least 3 salads a week! Plus my Vit D at least 3 times a week. :yuck:
Mental health: not stress and remember that things can only get better no matter how bad something seems at the moment:lalala::pray:

My starting hair pictures taken today.

I uploaded my hair timeline picture to my blog here (http://fromalxwithlove.blogspot.com/2012/06/june-2012-hair-update.html).

Let's go!

Sunshine
07-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I am in, too! This will be my first challenge here.

Hair: I recently did the BC, but I am aiming to grow my hair long. I intend to measure my hair on July 31 and see that I've grown one inch of hair. :yay:

Regimen:
M-Sa - rinse with water, apply Komaza Jojoba Hemp Oil, then Coconut Hair Milk
Sunday - wash with Henna sooq sweet honey poo bar, DC with Komaza Olive Moisture mask
Three nights a week I use JBCO throughout my hair and bag it up.

Skin: I have a really good skincare regimen that works wonders for my skin, I just need to use it.
AM/PM - Wash with black soap, tone with witch hazel, treat with modern fusion (use brighter by nature or lemon juice at night), moisturize with apricot kernel oil
Sunday - use Aztec Healing clay and apple cider vinegar mask before bed
MWF - use Origins Modern Friction mini-dermabrasion.

Body: I want to lose a lot of weight, so I am going to try out two workouts a day: AM walk for 30-45 minutes, and PM balance ball workout for 45 minutes. I love exercising before work because it gets me ready for the day, and after work because it helps me to de-escalate! :giggling: I intend to lose 15 lbs. this month.

My diet is pretty good, however, I am going to limit my sugar consumption and portion sizes. No sugary drinks at all, just water, fresh fruit and veggie juices I make, or homemade lemonade with agave nectar as a sweetener. My mom told me that she lost 20lbs a month in her 30ís when she followed this same plan, Iím hoping that I have the same success.
Iíll be checking in daily for accountability, especially on the body portion.

NJoy
07-01-2012, 03:54 PM
^ Girl, you're not the only one needing daily accountability with fitness. :nerves:

Well, here we are. July 1st and I'm set!

I'm starting off with a good DC w/steam today. I'll do a heavy CO oiling tonight for an overnight pre-poo. And then start on my ayurvedic-ish regimen. I'll play that buy ear tho but my plan is regular oilings of the length with CO and jbco/jojoba on my ends. I'm also going back on my growth mix regularly. I usually won't in the summer because it's just too hot to have my head baggied but hey, I have goals to meet.

For my face, I will begin using CO followed by a wash with tumeric and lemon peel.

I also plan to up my lean protein intake.

My starting weight is 168 in the morning and 170 by early evening.

Let's go, July Challengers!!! We can do this. Check in every day for accountability. I'm not slipping this time. :yahoo:

FoxyLocks
07-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Oh! I'm just in time. Please count me in!

I'm fully natural. Just cut my hair back to a blunt apt. My hair has been doing great with njoy's sulfur oil so, I plan to keep up with that. I'm hoping for a full inch of growth this month.

I'm doing pilates for fitness. I've just started but really like the whole idea of lengthening and stretching my muscles to tone up. I'm looking for a good program but for now, my cable station has a nice selection on demand.

Cutting out caffeinated drinks like coffee and Cokes will also be a part of my challenge. I'm trying drink more water. So far I'm drinking water with Crystal Lite packets added. I have to ease into drinking plain water. I hope to make it through the entire month drinking water, milk and fruit juice only. I can do this. :clap3:

FoxyLocks
07-01-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm ready!

For July I will:

Hair: Do castor oil (mixed with almond oil) scalp massages every night, really I can't massage a dry scalp and I just want 3 more inches for my goal of waist, but an inch this month couldn't hurt.
Skin: staying strong with Mederma (though it makes my skin itch, is it the onion?) to help fade marks until the tube finishes, using my green apple peel once each week, using my Montagne Jenuesse masks at least once a week, also my Aveeno clear complexion moisturizer
Nails: I just cut my left hand because my nails are growing so fast and the left retains too much and one had chipped and I decided to cut all. I will just maintain neat short nails, I can't deal with the speed of my nails growing and cutting those that chip, etc
Overall physical health: cutting out sweets and junk, I'll give myself one cheat per week, cheats cannot be rolled over, this is not AT&T:hand: At least 3 salads a week! Plus my Vit D at least 3 times a week. :yuck:
Mental health: not stress and remember that things can only get better no matter how bad something seems at the moment:lalala::pray:

My starting hair pictures taken today.

I uploaded my hair timeline picture to my blog here (http://fromalxwithlove.blogspot.com/2012/06/june-2012-hair-update.html).

Let's go!

Your hair looks amazing! Keep up the good work. :clap2:

mividabella
07-01-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm in...again! I liked the June challenge, it helped me to be accountable but I did fall off the boat a bit with my hair. I'm ready to join & be a lot more accountable. This month I'm focusing on:

Hair- 1 inch & just being happy with it
Nails- Grow evenly & stay pedi'ed up
Skin- Keep up with my Olay Prox & drink my water
Fitness- I need to start doing something for exercise, I'm still working on my flat abs, my weight is fine with me
Fashion- Build my wardrobe! Yay, I get to shop (obviously this will be the easiest part). I'm currently cleaning my closet in anticipation. Actually everything is just out of the closet, nothing is in place.

I'll come back later with a starting pic of my hair. I will check in daily!

mividabella
07-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Checking in...

I flat-ironed my hair today, in 107 degree weather, yup sure did. It's too hot to go out, so it's all good. I just wanted to take a starting pic & do something different. I turned the heat up a notch (I usually flat iron on 35, but I put it on 40), and I only used shea butter oil, no shea butter. I think that my hair moves better, but I still think I put too much product. I haven't yet mastered the swing yet, but that's all good.
Anyways, I attached a pic I'm hoping to make WL by the end of this year. Ok, sorry the pic is so small all that work & I only exported it, not saved it to the program. Will try to fix it later.

I will try to do my nails tomorrow, and do more work on my closet. Still need to have a fitness plan.

NJoy
07-02-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm at a crossroads. Last night, during my heavy oiling, I had a major urge to BC these relaxed ends. I really don't know why I'm holding on to them when I rarely wear my hair out. Why not cut 'em off and start this challenge with freshly BC'd hair. :nerves:

Or, maybe I'll let it ride and see how I feel at the end of this month. Oh, I don't know which way to go. It's not like I won't be able to grow it back.

Not to mention shorter hair may be better during this crazy summer heat. You just know this year's summer is gonna be sweltering.

Decisions, decisions. :question:

Thoughts?

MsDarling
07-03-2012, 12:48 AM
Checking in...

I flat-ironed my hair today, in 107 degree weather, yup sure did.

Man, all this flat-ironing makes me want to break out my maxiglide.:nerves:
I haven't flatironed since 2010.

MsDarling
07-03-2012, 12:50 AM
I'm at a crossroads. Last night, during my heavy oiling, I had a major urge to BC these relaxed ends. I really don't know why I'm holding on to them when I rarely wear my hair out. Why not cut 'em off and start this challenge with freshly BC'd hair. :nerves:

Or, maybe I'll let it ride and see how I feel at the end of this month. Oh, I don't know which way to go. It's not like I won't be able to grow it back.

Not to mention shorter hair may be better during this crazy summer heat. You just know this year's summer is gonna be sweltering.

Thoughts?

I would snip now, I remember when I transitioned last, I got tired of using hair product on hair that I was definitely going to cut off. Yes, I'm cheap.

But I guess think it through this month before you make any decisions.

MsDarling
07-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Your hair looks amazing! Keep up the good work. :clap2:

Thanks! It's just that after I had taken these pictures, my hair felt short again.

It's funny when I had hair that length and it was texlaxed I would get Dominican blowouts once in a while and I always had some people say my hair was long and then I had "friends" and family telling me it wasn't that long.

I wonder what happens at full waist-length?

MsDarling
07-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Made it through the day without eating any candy, cakes, cookies, crackers, chips, etc

Yay!

I had a very low sugar yogurt (Siggi's) and fruit earlier in the day.

Today was a trip...

I found an ice cream truck in the city that sells 99 cent cones, what the--? Ice cream cones in NYC are nearly if not already $3 from the truck and today of all days there happened to be an ice cream truck that has 99 cent cones written all over it (literally), I just turned my head and told myself it's a trick/test.

I was also offered Belgium waffle topped with nutella and whipped cream, nope, none for me.:down:

Picked up some chia seeds as I am running low, full of fiber and Omegas.

mividabella
07-03-2012, 01:12 AM
Man, all this flat-ironing makes me want to break out my maxiglide.:nerves:
I haven't flatironed since 2010.

Do it, do it!! Just kidding, but if you do decide to, in order to stay cool I would do it later in the day. With all your lovely hair I'm sure it will come out nice!

mividabella
07-03-2012, 01:22 AM

Thoughts?

TBH, I'm thinking about giving myself a trim as well. It will braided up anyways, so it won't matter much. How much will you cut off?

mividabella
07-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Checking in...I've been in my closet cleaning it out all day, didn't get a chance to do my nails, & just kept my hair in a bun. Still trying to figure out workouts in this sweltering heat.

NJoy
07-03-2012, 02:32 AM
Washed with a mix of shikakai/brahmi/amla. I thought I would have to DC afterwards but my hair felt pretty good. So I just oiled with CO. Since I've gotten back to using CO on my strands, my braids feel wonderful.

My protein powder should be in tomorrow but in the meantime, I've been adding Naked protein drinks for added protein. It's not exactly what I want but will have to do.

Oh, and I tried lemon peel powder in my face mask. I have an ayurvedic face powder that I can't remember the name of right now. I added the lemon to that. I'll alternate that with tumeric/milk mask.

I would snip now, I remember when I transitioned last, I got tired of using hair product on hair that I was definitely going to cut off. Yes, I'm cheap.

But I guess think it through this month before you make any decisions.

I hear you. I was thinking that it's gonna be more expensive to have my hair braided because it's long too. And why, when I'm gonna put it up anyway.

Ah well, I'm catching a lot of flack for even mentioning it so, I said I'd hang in there thru July and reassess then. But really, why not cut since I don't wear it out. Oh yeah. The family reunion this month. *sigh* We'll see.

Thanks! It's just that after I had taken these pictures, my hair felt short again.

It's funny when I had hair that length and it was texlaxed I would get Dominican blowouts once in a while and I always had some people say my hair was long and then I had "friends" and family telling me it wasn't that long.

I wonder what happens at full waist-length?

Full waist length is the bomb.com. Nuff said.

TBH, I'm thinking about giving myself a trim as well. It will braided up anyways, so it won't matter much. How much will you cut off?

I was planning to cut all the relaxed ends. I'm gonna say that will put me back between apl and bsl. Not a bad length until you've hit hip and have to go backwards.

Serenity
07-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Am I too late to join?

I really need to focus on length and retention during this challenge. I'm wearing my hair in braids six weeks at a time and one week no braids. I've been braiding my own hair but wonder if adding hair extensions to my own hair will cause damage?

For growth, I'm taking biotin, prenatal vitamin, and fish oil. I'm doing scalp massages at least 3 times a week. Cowashing only and protein treatment when I take the braids down. Will spray with braid spray and seal with coconut oil and sealing my end with castor oil.

NJoy
07-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Hey Lady! :hiya: No you're not too late. You're right on time! :great:

I'm not sure about extensions. Maybe someone will have an answer for you. But when I briefly had extensions early in the game (for like, 4 days :giggling:) I had a problem with wasting product on hair that wasn't mine. Hey, stuff isn't cheap these days. lol

I'm planning to braid my hair up for the summer too. I'd love to add extensions for a fuller look. I like nice, chunky braids...if I can get 'em. But for now, my hair will have to do.

FoxyLocks
07-03-2012, 02:25 PM
I'm very proud of myself today. I've been drinking water all day and had water with my lunch. Plain ice water!!! That may not sound like much to some but it's a big deal for me. :yahoo:

mividabella
07-04-2012, 12:36 AM
[QUOTE=NJoy;3007

Ah well, I'm catching a lot of flack for even mentioning it so, I said I'd hang in there thru July and reassess then. But really, why not cut since I don't wear it out. Oh yeah. The family reunion this month. *sigh* We'll see.

I was planning to cut all the relaxed ends. I'm gonna say that will put me back between apl and bsl. Not a bad length until you've hit hip and have to go backwards.[/QUOTE]

:nerves: Um, I thought you were going to trim. Wow, that's a big cut. IDK...and to be at the family reunion going like this :reddancer: uh, maybe I would wait until after. Sorry, I'm no help!:giggling:

NJoy
07-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Yeah, the family reunion is a major consideration. I'm tempted to just have my hair braided up for convenience (since we'll be at the beach at least 2 days) but, I know some are expecting to inspect my new length. Most of them haven't seen me in person since I started my HJ and only see my online pics. But when I think about it, that does mean a lot of hands all up in my head so, I don't know. But of course, if I cut it, it'll be like "It seemed so much longer in the pictures." :shake:

The other reason I'm considering getting it braided is because I'll be in Vegas with hubby a few days before the family reunion trip. It would just be more convenient. But again, my family. We're a bunch of Divas for sure and I KNOW some are waiting just to see my hair. What to do? What to do?

mividabella
07-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Yeah, the family reunion is a major consideration. I'm tempted to just have my hair braided up for convenience (since we'll be at the beach at least 2 days) but, I know some are expecting to inspect my new length. Most of them haven't seen me in person since I started my HJ and only see my online pics. But when I think about it, that does mean a lot of hands all up in my head so, I don't know. But of course, if I cut it, it'll be like "It seemed so much longer in the pictures." :shake:

The other reason I'm considering getting it braided is because I'll be in Vegas with hubby a few days before the family reunion trip. It would just be more convenient. But again, my family. We're a bunch of Divas for sure and I KNOW some are waiting just to see my hair. What to do? What to do?

I know Vegas gets hot in the summer (I've felt the heat), so maybe you could have a nice juicy bun while you're out & about on the town. Although I'm sure your hubby wouldn't mind your hair out while you guys are enjoying yourselves. But at the family reunion (that's what every 2 years?!) I say flat-iron hands down. If they are following your pics, they will be EXPECTING/REQUIRING to see the length. Why disappoint? Especially since if you braid you can't show your length, or that it's really your hair. I know for convenience braiding would be best, but you can't take back that moment. Plus, you could always pack a wig or just bun it back. But at the reunion on Saturday, the main event, I say straight, long, and flowing!

mividabella
07-04-2012, 11:34 PM
checking in...still bunning my almost straight hair. Put JBCO on my scalp & ends, then used some shea butter to lay down the sides. Everything else is still a work in progress.

NJoy
07-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I think the bun option will probably be best. It's gonna be hot (oh, and Vegas wreaks havoc on my hair and skin).

Adding DE back into my diet for 7 days, starting today.

mividabella
07-08-2012, 02:06 AM
Exercised today! Hubby gave me the idea to just start working out inside, with simple moves. I just started with some basic jumping jacks, then did a cardio routine (that I made up from the video playing in my head :lmao:). I used to take a lot of dance & exercise classes, and watched hella videos. Felt great! Hopefully I can continue to do @ least 20 minutes a day.

MsDarling
07-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Overall physical health: cutting out sweets and junk, I'll give myself one cheat per week, cheats cannot be rolled over, this is not AT&T At least 3 salads a week! Plus my Vit D at least 3 times a week.
Mental health: not stress and remember that things can only get better no matter how bad something seems at the moment

I fell off for the past few days. I've been feeling sick, and therefore used it as an excuse to slack. I don't know if it's the heat or something else, I even feel queasy now.:ill:

Will hopefully force myself to get back on track tonight.

It seems like every few months I end up feeling sick.

I have to figure something out, and be as serious about as I have been about things like my skin and hair.

Anyway, regarding health, has anyone watched the video on this site http://www.jointhereboot.com/, I am now and it's pretty interesting.

NJoy
07-08-2012, 06:59 PM
I fell off for the past few days. I've been feeling sick, and therefore used it as an excuse to slack. I don't know if it's the heat or something else, I even feel queasy now.:ill:

Will hopefully force myself to get back on track tonight.

It seems like every few months I end up feeling sick.

I have to figure something out, and be as serious about as I have been about things like my skin and hair.

Anyway, regarding health, has anyone watched the video on this site http://www.jointhereboot.com/, I am now and it's pretty interesting.

Awww. Sorry you haven't been feeling well and I hope you feel better now. I haven't seen the video but will check it out. Hubby's watching tv and I don't have my earbuds. thanks for sharing.

MsDarling
07-09-2012, 02:51 AM
Awww. Sorry you haven't been feeling well and I hope you feel better now. I haven't seen the video but will check it out. Hubby's watching tv and I don't have my earbuds. thanks for sharing.

Thanks, I'm feeling improved, but I really pushed myself for the sake of my hair and skin, feels shallow on one level, but I know what happens when I let them go for too long. :nerves:

NJoy
07-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks, I'm feeling improved, but I really pushed myself for the sake of my hair and skin, feels shallow on one level, but I know what happens when I let them go for too long. :nerves:

Yeah, don't I know it. And it's so hard to get back on track. Well, I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm watching the video now, btw. Be back with my comments.

Sunshine
07-09-2012, 03:42 PM
All right! You ladies are going great! :)

I've been slacking on posting and my workouts. :sosad:

It's been too hot outside to walk - even in the evenings it was 100+, and the central air in my apt was down. There was no way I was working out in that hot apartment.

I'm happy to report that the air is back on, and I did my AM walk and will do a PM workout when I get home. Lunch consisted of a salad with lean chicken and fat-free dressing, an apple, and a chocolate chip cookie I greatly regret eating. I will post more later.

Sunshine
07-09-2012, 05:50 PM

I hope that you continue to feel better. Summer is a horrible time to be sick. Ugh!

NJoy
07-09-2012, 06:37 PM
All right! You ladies are going great! :)

I've been slacking on posting and my workouts. :sosad:

It's been too hot outside to walk - even in the evenings it was 100+, and the central air in my apt was down. There was no way I was working out in that hot apartment.

I'm happy to report that the air is back on, and I did my AM walk and will do a PM workout when I get home. Lunch consisted of a salad with lean chicken and fat-free dressing, an apple, and a chocolate chip cookie I greatly regret eating. I will post more later.

Awe man! Nothing worse than the air going out in the summer. I'm glad things are squared away. It's definitely not safe to exercise in this kind of heat. Whew!

I smile looking at your profile pic because you look exactly the way my best friend's mother used to look. Very beautiful! I feel like I know you already. :hug2:

As for me, I'm pretty excited! I've been looking all over for pure aloe vera gel. Finally, I ran across a lone bottle at Walmart today. Feeling giddy! (You can only say something like that on a hair board. :lmao:)

Hubby's out of town for a few days so, it's definitely hair time. I plan to apply my growth mix to my scalp and oil the strands tonight. I'm looking forward to a nice scalp massage. I'll also be able to get some exercise in. I plan to do Qi Gong tonight.

Also, I was watching an infomercial for Nutribullet (http://www.nutribullet.com/) late last night. I'm planning to order this for better overall health. I think it will help with all of my goals.

NJoy
07-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Forgot to mention that I'm doing a face mask with tumeric, lemon peel and milk.

My water intake for today has been lower than usual because I've been pretty busy. But, I'm gonna try to get 48 oz in before the night's out. Oh, be still, my bladder. :nerves:

Sunshine
07-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Awe man! Nothing worse than the air going out in the summer. I'm glad things are squared away. It's definitely not safe to exercise in this kind of heat. Whew!

I smile looking at your profile pic because you look exactly the way my best friend's mother used to look. Very beautiful! I feel like I know you already. :hug2:

As for me, I'm pretty excited! I've been looking all over for pure aloe vera gel. Finally, I ran across a lone bottle at Walmart today. Feeling giddy! (You can only say something like that on a hair board. :lmao:)

Hubby's out of town for a few days so, it's definitely hair time. I plan to apply my growth mix to my scalp and oil the strands tonight. I'm looking forward to a nice scalp massage. I'll also be able to get some exercise in. I plan to do Qi Gong tonight.

Also, I was watching an infomercial for Nutribullet (http://www.nutribullet.com/) late last night. I'm planning to order this for better overall health. I think it will help with all of my goals.

Don't you just love when you find something you've been hunting for? :) I love AVG. I like to keep it in the fridge and spread it on my face while it's cold.

And, thank you, you're so sweet! Believe me, I will not be taking that AC for granted anymore. Just breathing was hard in that apartment.

How was Qi Gong? I've seen people doing it in the park but I've never tried it. It seems very calming, like Tai Chi. And, make sure you get your water in - it's so important in this heat.

Body - This morning I walked for 2 miles (Leslie Sanson WATP) and I'll probably walk another mile tonight and stretch using the stability ball. After work I'm going to the farmer's market and grab some fresh kale and other veggies to make some salads tonight so that I can have them ready for lunch and dinner this week.

Hair - with it being so short, there's not much to do. I rinsed this morning and applied the Jojoba Hemp oil followed by the Coconut Hair Milk (Komaza). That combo is great for my hair. I love the definition and the softness. It has taken years of trial and error, but I think I've finally stumbled upon the concoction that keeps SSK's at bay.

Skin - on Sunday, I exfoliated with modern friction and washed with my black soap. Yesterday I washed normally and treated my skin with the Brighter by Nature serum and a little Spot Remover for a few blemishes that were trying to creep up. I topped it all off with just a pat of apricot kernel oil.

MsDarling
07-10-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm going pretty well, I just notice that even though it's hot, I'm not drinking that much water, will try to drink at least 30 oz today.

Has anyone checked out blackgirlsrun? I joined a week ago for the NYC group, and I think when I get a stable work schedule hopefully in the upcoming weeks, I will try to start running with them at least once a week, if they are active.

I'm actually scared to run, because I'm afraid of bulking up, if I do a couple days of exercise I will bulk up fast. I have naturally thin, yet muscular arms, like whenever I take a length check picture they're always in my face. Even my thighs will bulk up, I have athletic (big) calves already, people always ask me if I run/play sports because of them. So I think if I don't get into running, I'll just break out my roller blades.

My skin isn't looking too bad, I'm crediting that to the green apple peel and some good sun plus I've been taking evening primrose oil vitamins for the past couple of weeks on and off.

My hair, I'm so lazy to wash, hit the two week mark on Saturday or Sunday, but I have a very defined twistout, so I bun it, and am able to do my castor/almond massages at night.

MsDarling
07-10-2012, 01:44 PM

That Nutribullet looks interesting, I was in Williams Sanoma the other day with friends and staring at the Vitamix, and it's so not in my budget. I haven't been blending for a few months, I use an old blender for my veggie/fruit smoothies.

Speaking of blending/juicing what did you think of the documentary? I was really impressed by all the positive changes Joe experienced as well as everyone else who tried the fast.

NJoy
07-10-2012, 02:44 PM
How was Qi Gong? I've seen people doing it in the park but I've never tried it. It seems very calming, like Tai Chi. And, make sure you get your water in - it's so important in this heat.

Ok see, this is what I thought. Calm, relaxing, peaceful like Tai Chi. So imagine my surprise when I started to bust a sweat and my legs were killing me for a couple days afterwards. I think after I've been doing it for awhile and are used to using my quads, it will become peaceful and relaxing. Um, but I'm not there yet. I'm begging dude to take it easy on me. Let's get down to the floor so that I can relax. :giggling: I do think that it helps with breathing and taking in more energy/air, etc. That's gotta be healthy for my heart and just in oxygenating my body in general. I think I like it.

I'm going pretty well, I just notice that even though it's hot, I'm not drinking that much water, will try to drink at least 30 oz today.

Has anyone checked out blackgirlsrun? I joined a week ago for the NYC group, and I think when I get a stable work schedule hopefully in the upcoming weeks, I will try to start running with them at least once a week, if they are active.

Honestly, unless something big is chasing me (and it better be meaner than I am), I can't do the running thing. It's really hot now but, that's not the reason. I just don't like running, not even on the treadmill. I don't like bicycling, walking, hiking...none of those types. My sport growing up was gymnastics. Yeah, I don't see that happening anytime soon now so...

I really would like to get into tennis tho. I think that's a good workout but, it's pretty expensive to get started. I checked into lessons and WOW! But, I think I'm gonna do it. I can see myself playing tennis. But running? :shake:

That Nutribullet looks interesting, I was in Williams Sanoma the other day with friends and staring at the Vitamix, and it's so not in my budget. I haven't been blending for a few months, I use an old blender for my veggie/fruit smoothies.

Speaking of blending/juicing what did you think of the documentary? I was really impressed by all the positive changes Joe experienced as well as everyone else who tried the fast.

That video was looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong! :doh: I was tempted to pop some popcorn, since it was a full-featured movie. But the subject matter made me feel guilty for the thought. :giggling: I definitely know that it's a good thing for your body. The cartoons of his fat belly had me on the floor. :giggling: But, yes. It was very inspiring and motivating. (It could've been a wee shorter tho. Just saying.) But, it makes a powerful statement. Thanks for sharing.

The thing that I like about the Nutribullet is that it grinds and liquifies everything so, there's no waste. There's a lot of goodness in the skins and bulk of fruits and veggies. And you can do nuts and grains too. I'm gonna do a fruit and veggie fast when I get it. I can't wait. I feel healthier just thinking about it.

I have a juicer but I barely break that bad boy out. Cleaning it is a pain. It's like using these ayurvedic powders. It's a hassle and messy. I was planning to get a little bullet blender for my concoctions. It just looks so convenient. Either that or I just like buying stuff. :question:

mividabella
07-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Checking in..exercised yesterday and going to exercise tonight.

NJoy
07-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Well, I guess nothing I posted yesterday went thru. I've been offline for a few days with a virus on my laptop. I thought I posted from my phone that I've been njoying using CO and WGO on my length.

Also, today (well, yesterday), I did a brown sugar scrub on my scalp as well as a DC with AOHSR. I nearly BC'd on the spot. The AOHSR made my hair so soft and it shrunk waaaaaay up, leaving my relaxed ends dangling like strings. It just seemed like it would be so easy to just chop 'em off. I was gonna do it but my DD talked me out of it. I told her I might as well, since I'm ps'g anyway. She said I might as well leave 'em since I'm ps'g anyway. She feels that if I'm not planning to wear my natural hair out, what's the use of chopping. Then came the dog pile from my other DD's. So, I'm still in the trimming an inch a month game.

Oh, I found a workout buddy. My friend joined my gym so we're planning to work out at least 3x a week starting tomorrow (er, today). I have been dropping a few pounds already. I think the extra weight was related to my cycle. I'm back down to 166. My nutribullet should be here by Friday (I'll be out of town then) so, I'll start juicing when I get back the following week.

I broke a nail for no good reason on my good hand. That sucked.

Also, there's a new blemish on my face near my eye. I think it was a pms bump that I tried to pop and drain. I ended up making it worse so, I have to get rid of that.

NJoy
07-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Yesterday my hair felt really dry. I decided it was time to clarify and DC my hair. Since my hair is loose (not in my usual Celie braids), my hair has shrunken in clumps (more like chunks), so I got the bright idea to add greek yogurt and coconut milk to my DC. I left that in overnight, hoping to loosen my curl pattern a bit. I'm about to wash it out now.

But I'm thinking that I had some NTM Recovery Mask which had always been a staple for me in my relaxed days as a DC. I'm feeling like I should've used that last night but, whatever. Hoping my overnight DC (with honey and EVOO added) does the trick.

I made it to the gym last night and am really feeling it today. After working out for an hour, I came home, turned on some music and danced for another hour (I have a family reunion coming up this weekend so, I needed to practice getting my dance on. :giggle: )

Nails: I'm breaking them when I feel a chip. I can't help it. Something makes me just keep messing with any flaw or chip in my nail and then I end up just ripping it off. My right hand is pretty much back to square one. And now, my middle finger on my left hand has broken. Sheesh. Ah well, in the grand scheme of things, it's nothing to complain about.

Ok, about to hop in the shower. Hoping for the best. Wish me luck.

Sunshine
07-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Hey all - I'm checking in!

I have been much better about my skincare routine for my face, but I've been neglecting my body. I am going to do an all over exfoliation with a nice sloughing product, I have one from Clinque and one from Origins, I don't know which I'll use yet. My elbows are much better than they were, but my legs and knees are still very dry and a little patchy from uneven sun exposure.

My hair is still growing nicely. I'm keeping it moisturized and sealed, and I baggy with JBCO while I work out. This is a great way to DC, I'm learning. I can't remember the last time I used my bonnet dryer.

I have been working out for 30 mins everyday. I only did two workouts on Sunday. That stability ball stretch workout is amazing! I had some tension in the back of my thighs and it is now gone. Plus, it's a great way to burn 130 calories in 15 minutes.

I added a ticker below so that I can keep track of my weight loss goals. I was going to do just my long term goal, but I really want to do this in stages.

How's everyone else?

mividabella
07-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Hey All...checking in...I FINALLY got my (own) hair braided, I'm thinking I will keep these in for 2 weeks. I really am going to try to start getting my hair done on a schedule since I know that is what works for me, low manipulation & no hands in hair (everyday length checks are no bueno :tuttut:).

I bought some nail polish today so I can do my toes, they are not pretty right now, and I don't have anyone to watch the girls while I go to the salon.

I'm still exercising for 20 minutes a day @ home, just cardio so I can get used to it. Eventually I would like to get a great workout dvd.

Sunshine
07-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Hey All...checking in...I FINALLY got my (own) hair braided, I'm thinking I will keep these in for 2 weeks. I really am going to try to start getting my hair done on a schedule since I know that is what works for me, low manipulation & no hands in hair (everyday length checks are no bueno :tuttut:).

I bought some nail polish today so I can do my toes, they are not pretty right now, and I don't have anyone to watch the girls while I go to the salon.

I'm still exercising for 20 minutes a day @ home, just cardio so I can get used to it. Eventually I would like to get a great workout dvd.

Mividabella, have you tried Gaiamtv.com (http://www.gaiamtv.com)? They have a subscription service where you can stream all sorts of videos, including workouts. If you don't want to buy a subscription, I think that you can preview different videos and decide based upon what you see if you like to purchase the DVD from a retailer.

Njoy, you might like Gaiamtv too, they have lots of movies about LOA. I thought this stuff stopped at The Secret and What the Bleep, but there are many, many other movies and documentaries out there.

NJoy
07-18-2012, 05:14 PM
My Nutribullet extractor came in yesterday. :yay: Delivery was fast! I wasn't expecting it until Friday. Of course, I've already started using it and I LOVE it! It's quick and easy and rinse to clean. I'm sure this is going to be an allover health boost but, I look forward to the positve changes in my skin, nails, hair and waistline.

Also, I bought a mini stepper that I can use at home while watching tv or meditating on a healthy body. Oh, and I got it on sale at Sears for like twenty-three bucks, including tax. Not bad. This will definitely be good for my heart.

My hair is coming along nicely. I'm tripping because I cracked the neck of my steamer. This is my 2nd steamer. I'm not looking forward to buying another but, although this one's still usable, if it breaks, I'm definitely going to buy another. It's well worth the ticket. It's just a matter of me not storing it away safely. But, I finally created a home for it so that it's not getting dinged by being behind my bathroom door. :giggle:

Nails: I'm seriously in need of a mani/pedi. Seriously. And, I can use having my eyebrows done. I think I'll go get nails and brows done tonight. :reddancer:

mividabella
07-19-2012, 01:04 AM
Mividabella, have you tried Gaiamtv.com (http://www.gaiamtv.com)? They have a subscription service where you can stream all sorts of videos, including workouts. If you don't want to buy a subscription, I think that you can preview different videos and decide based upon what you see if you like to purchase the DVD from a retailer.

Njoy, you might like Gaiamtv too, they have lots of movies about LOA. I thought this stuff stopped at The Secret and What the Bleep, but there are many, many other movies and documentaries out there.

Free 10-day trial? Only $10 for a month?! Thanks Sunshine, you're the best!!! :clap3: They have Jillian's 30 day abs...I can start that tomorrow oh yea!!!!

MsDarling
07-21-2012, 03:15 PM
For July I will:

Overall physical health: cutting out sweets and junk, I'll give myself one cheat per week, cheats cannot be rolled over, this is not AT&T At least 3 salads a week! Plus my Vit D at least 3 times a week.
Mental health: not stress and remember that things can only get better no matter how bad something seems at the moment

I had to stop my castor oil massages due to being busy with work and coming home super tired. Don't know if I will continue because I started co-washing randomly between actually real wash and retwisting sessions.

I've been seeing improvements in my skin using the GAP twice a week, doing the MJ face mask which is really for fun, and using Mederma. I also have been using the Maybelline Beauty Balm as a face sunscreen because it's tinted and doesn't give that casper look, and I only like titanium dioxide or zinc suncreens, all other types make my eyes irritated.
I've been keeping my nails trimmed as straight across a possible, hassle free and I love it.

I've been blending greens and fruits for breakfast in my blender. Kale + orange cut up (with the pith) is my recent favorite. I cannot believe it's been like 3 years since I discovered blending via Kimberly Synders blog! I get lazy sometimes. I've been throwing my chia seeds in the smoothies too right in the blender or directly in my cup, just trying to get those omega3,6,9s and fiber for my hair and to clear my skin.
Also on the health front, I have checked and vit D is raised!! This week I found that out and I switched to a type that doesn't upset my stomach and is chewable. Still have a way to go, but improved, so happy!
I've been cheating on the food front because of work though, eating things that I wouldn't normally, will be back on track today.

And, I'm trying to keep as zen as possible, even when people know they're wrong:meditate::shake:.:cool:

MsDarling
07-21-2012, 03:19 PM
My Nutribullet extractor came in yesterday. :yay: Delivery was fast! I wasn't expecting it until Friday. Of course, I've already started using it and I LOVE it! It's quick and easy and rinse to clean. I'm sure this is going to be an allover health boost but, I look forward to the positve changes in my skin, nails, hair and waistline.

That's great! Does the Nutribullet blend the veggies/fruit to a a super fine consistency without much liquid?
My blender sometimes needs a little help if I'm blending something that's not very watery, so I add some water.

Yeah, I feel like my waist has shrunken some since I got back to blending...fiber.

Sunshine
07-22-2012, 12:01 PM
not much to report ladies, but I did lose 2.2 lbs last week - that's a total of 5.8 for the month. More than the amount of weight lost, I worked out almost everyday, burned more than 3500 calories, and used my food diary 5 days last week. And best of all, all of my pants fit so loose, that I can take them off without unbuttoning them. :giggling: I'm not going to think of replacing them until I need belts to keep them up - and I am SOOOO looking for ward to that day! :)

Be well, all! :)

MsDarling
07-22-2012, 01:12 PM
not much to report ladies, but I did lose 2.2 lbs last week - that's a total of 5.8 for the month. More than the amount of weight lost, I worked out almost everyday, burned more than 3500 calories, and used my food diary 5 days last week. And best of all, all of my pants fit so loose, that I can take them off without unbuttoning them. :giggling: I'm not going to think of replacing them until I need belts to keep them up - and I am SOOOO looking for ward to that day! :)

Be well, all! :)

That's awesome! Congrats!:clap2:

NJoy
07-23-2012, 08:32 AM
That's great! Does the Nutribullet blend the veggies/fruit to a a super fine consistency without much liquid?
My blender sometimes needs a little help if I'm blending something that's not very watery, so I add some water.

Yeah, I feel like my waist has shrunken some since I got back to blending...fiber.

The nutribullet is an extractor that turns everything into a liquid, including seeds and nuts. But you do have to add water. I throw chia seeds, flaxseeds and almonds into almost all of my mixes. And I've also been adding protein powder in my morning drink.

I'm out of town now so, I'll have to wait until I get back to get back on track. But I was really loving it!

NJoy
07-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Well, as I mentioned, I'm out of town for a week so, I'm not going hard at all. I left town with tangles in my hair and haven't really had a chance to do anything about it, nor did I bring any hair products or concoctions. Smh. Part of my tangle woe is dried product so, while my family is sleeping in, I'm gonna wash and try to detangle my hair the best I can. In the meantime, I've been wigging it.

My eating has been horrendous but hey, I'm on vacation. I'll get back to juicing and taking my supplements on Thursday. *sigh*

I should've been better prepared. Ah well.

mividabella
07-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Checking in...I painted my toenails & they are too dark, but I'm going to keep this color for awhile. My fingernails still need to catch up with each other. My hair is still in braids, I've been alternating between oiling my scalp with JBCO and cowashing every other day. I set up a braiding schedule that I will try to stay on. I haven't been exercising since I'm fasting, so my only option is to exercise late at night...don't think that will happen. So I may have to wait until I stop fasting in about 26 more days, to get back on the exercise boat.

NJoy
07-25-2012, 05:03 AM
I got 75% of my hair detangled using the bottles of Paul Mitchell conditioner that the hotel provides. I could've done the rest but got lazy. Ah well, at least most of my hair is twisted under my wig.

mividabella
07-29-2012, 01:28 AM
Ladies, it's almost the end of July....

I'm going to continue to GO HARD for the rest of the year. I want to be WL by December and I feel that I can get there. I'm going to be taking my hair down for a nice deep conditioning session, then it will be back to braids. My right hand's nails are growing great, my left hand is slowly catching up. One of the side effects of fasting is losing weight, which I didn't need to do, but hopefully it will take some of my middle too:giggling:. I have been updating my closet and I'm really liking my new look. I'm going to continue focusing on achieving these goals.

NJoy
07-29-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm planning to go hard the rest of the year too.

I'm really njoy'g my nutribullet. I feel healthier getting my nutrients directly from fruits and veggies. I foresee myself ditching many of my supplements. And, the more extracted drinks I have, the more I look forward to the next. This will be easy to continue.

I did an overnight DC last night. It wasn't intentional. I was just too lazy to rinse it out after staying up to watch the fight. Today I'll rinse it out followed by a nettle tea rinse. Ultimately, I"l twist my hair in 2-strand twists and bun the ends. Wigging when I want a different look.

My nails are growing nicely.

My face program includes washing with black soap and using tumeric masks to even out my complexion.

As for my weight, I have gained a bit but, it seems to be landng in the right places. I also think that all the juicing is causing me to lose a lot of water weight. My bladder is more active and my body just seems more toned because of it. We'll see how things progress with a regular exercise routine added.

All in all, I'm back on track now that I'm home.

NJoy
07-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Blah. I knew better than lump my wet twists together while dc'g overnight. Tangled braids have taken my detangling situation from bad to worse. Ah well. No worries. I coated my hair in CO, CHI serum and Crisco. I'm gonna let that airdry overnight and then finger detangle carefully. I hope that works. I'm gonna try not to get frustrated and just exercise patience.

MsDarling
07-31-2012, 12:55 PM

I had quit the castor oil massages and I'm not sure how my hair looks a whole month later, but I blew my hair out on Thursday and it started to shrink and so it's in twists now. I had done that forgetting that I would want to check the difference from June 30 to now. I don't feel I can do a legit check unless I'm wearing my sports bra that I always wear for hair pictures, because my eyes alone can't tell the difference. I might just undo the back twists to length check.

I switched things up with my skin care, but I'm seeing great results, my friend told me yesterday my skin has really cleared up a lot.:clap2:

My nails are slightly longer than I've been keeping them, but still short, I haven't painted them in a while, sometimes I can't take the smell of polish. But because I shape them, they look pretty good.

I've cheated here and there with the junk/sweets, but it's summer and I'm starting school again at the end of this month, so I guess I was living in the moment(s). I honestly think my body looks in pretty good shape for summer. Usually during the summer, I get a little pudgy looking, but not this summer! I have been blending and drinking that in morning instead of a regular heavy breakfast which might be why I'm feeling trim.:cool:

I hope I can continue this into the fall semester of classes, which is my last and hopefully won't be stressful. This is challenge is great because it keeps me shuffling my goals so I at least work towards them somewhat even if they change.

Sunshine
07-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Okay - so the end of the month is here.

Hair - I did not get the entire inch I was looking for, but my hair looks and feels thicker. I know that it's longer, but because I can't find out where I put the measurements, I'll never know how much longer it is...boo!:sosad:

Face - My skin care system is working. I am noticing a lot brighter skin coming through and I returned to my good ol' fashioned African Black Soap, Modern Friction, witch hazel, and apricot kernel oil. I'm happy!

Body - Here's my most exciting change this month, I've lost a total of 8.2 pounds since July 1. :yay: No, it's not the 15 I wanted, but I'm so happy that I have got down those 8. My new goal is between 8-10 lbs. per month, and I think that I can do it.

Like Mividabella, MsDarling and Njoy - I'm am going to continue going hard until the end of the year. This was a great challenge!

NJoy
08-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Welp! Reporting in for my end of July results.

I have no clue as to what length my hair is until I get this knot out. Yeah, it's still there and I almost cut it out. I did cut two of my front braids loose. I'm not proud of that but, I don't think I lost a lot of length with those cuts. As for the one in the back, I just left it alone until I had enough time and patience to work on it. I picked up some "Take Down" at the beauty supply store today (because someone mentioned it on this boar). I'm a little skeptical about using it because I see "Borax" in the list of ingredients. :nerves: In any case, before the knot, I do think I noticed that my hair grew. I just can't say how much just yet. Of course, without my regular monthly one inch trim this month, I should at least have an inch. :pray:

I posted somewhere else but, now that I'm juicing (extracting, really) with my Nutribullet, my skin looks so good! I'm also using black soap and throwing in occasional tumeric and milk masks. But my pores shrank, and blemishes are fading pretty quickly. My skin looks good and my arms and legs are so soft (says everyone).

I gained weight while on vacation but the weight is falling off. I'm down to 167 after being 175 just last week. And my waist is down to 29" from 31". I'm totally attributing this to my healthier eating with the Nutribullet. I know it can't be from working out because I haven't been consistent enough.

My nails look great. I ended up cutting all the nails on my right hand because a few of them broke and made my hand look snaggle-toothed. They're all growing back nicely and evenly. The 2 broken nails on my left hand have almost grown completely back and are almost the length of the others. I'm keeping the others trimmed so that they can catch up. But I also don't want them past the length that the long ones are now. In fact, I think I'm going to cut my thumb nail down because it looks too long.

July was not uneventful but still a good month overall. But I expect August to be better (now that the kids will be back in school). I should be able to get back on track.

I'm about to start the August thread. See you there. :yay: