PDA

View Full Version : 30-Day Go Hard Challenge

NJoy
05-17-2012, 04:17 PM
I have about five weeks until my birthday. I've decided I'd start a personal 30-day challenge to go hard on multiple fronts and get myself in awesome shape by my birthday. Then I thought, maybe it I could get others to join in, going hard to meet goals over the next 30 days (or 30 days from when you choose to start).

I plan to blog my weekly progress but commit to posting on the board, what I'm doing daily to go hard. I'm hoping this will create accountability and awesome results at the end of the 30-day period.

So, I'm challenging anyone who will accept to go hard on whatever your goals are for the next 30 days.

Rules:

1. State all of your goals and how you plan to achieve each one
2. Start a blog post and post a summary in your blog weekly
3. Post your daily activities towards reaching your goals and any commentary in this thread daily. (This is part of the accountability to keep forward momentum) If you have no activity for the day, come in anyway and post any thoughts on your progress or challenges.
4. Post before pics (if you choose) and/or descriptions of whatever you're working on.
5. Post after pics/results/changes at the end of the challenge.
6. Thank the post so that you're added to the challenger's list
7. Post your start date and your 30-day end date

Let's go hard! 30 days at a time! Are you in? If so, sign up right away and let us know what you're working on.

I'll be back with my starting details shortly. I hope you join me. No. I CHALLENGE you to join me. Are you in?

:yay:LET'S GO!!!! :yay:

Tink
05-17-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm in! I'll be back to post my info (may not be til tomorrow)

NJoy
05-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Good morning, Divas. I started writing this out last night and passed out while doing so. That tells me that one of my goals needs to be to get a decent amount of sleep at night. This living off 3 hours a night isn't the move. :nono:

My Go Hard goals:

Hair: This is a tricky one. My goal is to grow at least +1" and be just past HL so that when I do my 1" cut on the 23rd, I'll be solidly HL.
Now the tricky part about this is that I'm not quite sure where my hair is today. And I've been trying not to length check the back of my hair so that I'm surprised when I flat iron for my birthday. That said, I simply want to do all that I can to maximize growth and avoid any setbacks. I just want my hair to cooperate and look good on my birthday.

Fitness: I'm at 170 lbs with my waist at 30". My goal is 159 lbs with my waist no more than 29". Also want to firm my thighs and back.

Skin/face: My goal is keep my face as blemish-free as possible and get rid of the puffyness that's under my eyes on certain days.

Miscellaneous: Get at least 7 hours of sleep per night (:nerves:), brighten my smile, even-length nails and grow longer, thicker eyelashes.

My Plan to reach my goals:

Hair: Continue supplements, detox with DE for a week 1st and 3rd week, up water intake to 80 oz a day, sulfur mix 3x/wk, weekly DC, scalp massages, wash as needed, cowash 2x wk, exercise, high protein diet, decrease sugar intake, clean eating and protective styling.

Fitness: water, diet, exercise w/trainer, DE and supplements

Skin: proper cleansing, moisturizing and sunscreen use, increased water intake, peppermint tea, tumeric masks.

Misc: Get at least 7 hours of sleep per night, use a whitening toothpaste and/or strips, trim my longer nails to a uniform length, and use castor oil on my lashes.

I'm starting my challenge on Monday 5/21 and will start my blog then. I'll update with anything else that I'm doing as it occurs. But, just having the intention, a plan and accountability will get me to my goals.

growlonghair1
05-19-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm In. I want to join if it is not to late.

NJoy
05-20-2012, 01:34 AM
Nope. Not too late. Glad to have you.:hug2:

I'm really excited about putting myself out there for this challenge. It's causing me to really take inventory of what I'm doing and what I need to do.

I'm adding to my list. I'd like to grow longer, thicker eyelashes. And to do that, I'm going to start using castor oil on my lashes. Updating my original goals list too.

NJoy
05-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Ok. I'm all ready to get started tomorrow. I've decided for my overall health, hair, skin, weight, etc, I'm drinking 85 oz of water daily. I downloaded an android app to remind me to drink and keep track of how much I'm drinking daily. In addition, I've decided to make "sassy water", as described in the flat belly diet and as recommended by Dr. Oz. Sassy water is water with cucumbers (diuretic), ginger (increases metabolism) and mint leaves. I hear it's tasty. And if it helps to shed pounds, I'm on it.

NJoy
05-21-2012, 11:34 PM
It's day 1 for me. Today is hubby's birthday so, I've been preoccupied. No workout, forgot my supplements, yummy chocolate cake and too tired to do anything to my hair. I'll sneak in an oil scalp massage and moisturize the length and call it a day. Tomorrow's another day.

NJoy
05-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Checking in for yesterday and today. I ended up going to my doctor yesterday because my allergies are acting up and I have a crushing sinus headache. While I was there, the doctor reminded me that I was to have had my vitamin D level rechecked. Last time it was done, my level was low but, I didn't want to have more blood drawn to verify, as they requested. So, I bought some over-the-counter D vites, thinking that would help. Apparently my levels are extremely low so, I had to have blood drawn to see where I am now. Dr said she'll likely prescribe a high dosage for a period and then I can continue with the OTC ones. I didn't think my levels were that low because low levels often slow or stall hair growth. But, who knows. Maybe getting my levels right will add to my growth rate. That's a plus. :great:

She also had me do a sleep study last night because I've been excessively tired lately. First of all, I usually only get 3-4 hours of sleep per night so, I think that may have something to do with it but, I followed doctor's orders and did the overnight study.

This pretty much means I did nothing beneficial to my goals yesterday other than taking my supplements and drinking 93 ounces of water. (:yay:)

Today, I'm still pretty much in the same boat, headache and all. I must've slept most of the day away trying not to feel this headache. Boy! Allergy season is the worst for me. :ill:

MsDarling
05-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Checking in for yesterday and today. I ended up going to my doctor yesterday because my allergies are acting up and I have a crushing sinus headache. While I was there, the doctor reminded me that I was to have had my vitamin D level rechecked. Last time it was done, my level was low but, I didn't want to have more blood drawn to verify, as they requested. So, I bought some over-the-counter D vites, thinking that would help. Apparently my levels are extremely low so, I had to have blood drawn to see where I am now. Dr said she'll likely prescribe a high dosage for a period and then I can continue with the OTC ones. I didn't think my levels were that low because low levels often slow or stall hair growth. But, who knows. Maybe getting my levels right will add to my growth rate. That's a plus. :great::

Hmm, that's interesting, I was told I had low vit d levels back in fall and was taking vit d and I hated it, I think it was making me sick. I think you're supposed to take it hand in hand with magnesium, I'm hoping I'll get some good sun and that'll help. I haven't gone back to check my levels. I don't like any vitamin except vit C, haha.

I did take it with mag, but I just can't stick to pills.

MsDarling
05-25-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm late, but I have other 30 days things I'm coincidentally doing and want to join this thread for accountability. I'm going to make a list of some goals and come back to post.

mividabella
05-26-2012, 05:47 PM
My 30 Day Challenge will start Monday, Memorial Day & end June 28th.

Go Hard Goals:

Hair: Grow 1 inch this month

Skin: Clear Face, I have been seeing some breakouts
Nails: Stronger, Longer Nails
Fashion: Upscale my clothing (no more looking like a teen mom :tuttut:)
Health: Consistent on Vitamins

How I will Achieve each goal:

Hair: I plan on either bunning or getting braids for the month. Continue following regimen of cowashing 2x wk, dc-1x/wk, m & s daily, castor oil edges
Skin: Drink more water @ least 64 ounces/day
Nails: 1. Wear @ least a base coat on my fingernails to stop the biting :nerves:; Rub Garlic on my nails as well, Keep toes done by self or shop
Fashion: Focus on outfit choices, no more "mom" jeans
Health: Take Vitamins Daily

MsDarling
05-26-2012, 11:44 PM
My goals:
Hair: I was going to say 1/2 inch, but after seeing everyone else, why can't I have a whole inch? 1 inch please!
Skin: fade hyperpigmentation and clear break outs
Hands: Nails: I want 1/8 of an inch of nail growth
Feet: Keep regular with my self pedicures
Finances: get a paying gig for extra moolah
Body: get rid of seemingly impending mini-thunder thighs

My process:
Hair: wash and twist, wear my scarf religiously, seal ends (starting today, May 26)
Skin: Raw honey mask and acv toner everyday, at least 30 oz of water a day (starting tomorrow, May 27)
Hands: keep rubbing garlic on my nails (started:May 23)
Feet: Will change polish every Sunday (starting tomorrow, May 27)
Finances: Will search everyday and bring my A-Game to interviews (starting tomorrow, May 27)
Body: do not buy candy, baked goods, chips, that should cut a good amount of junk out of my diet

NJoy
05-29-2012, 12:21 AM
My 30 Day Challenge will start Monday, Memorial Day & end June 28th.

Go Hard Goals:

Fashion: Upscale my clothing (no more looking like a teen mom :tuttut:)

How I will Achieve each goal:

Hair: I plan on either bunning or getting braids for the month. Continue following regimen of cowashing 2x wk, dc-1x/wk, m & s daily, castor oil edges
Skin: Drink more water @ least 64 ounces/day
Nails: 1. Wear @ least a base coat on my fingernails to stop the biting :nerves:; Rub Garlic on my nails as well, Keep toes done by self or shop
Fashion: Focus on outfit choices, no more "mom" jeans
Health: Take Vitamins Daily

Sounds good. The bolded had me rotflmbo!!! Don't pay to look crazy. You really do have to be selective in your jean choices. You have to aggressively deal with the mom jeans situation by getting rid of them! They are the most unflattering things EVER!!!

NJoy
05-29-2012, 12:24 AM
My goals:
Hair: I was going to say 1/2 inch, but after seeing everyone else, why can't I have a whole inch? 1 inch please!

My process:
Hair: wash and twist, wear my scarf religiously, seal ends (starting today, May 26)
Skin: Raw honey mask and acv toner everyday, at least 30 oz of water a day (starting tomorrow, May 27)
Finances: Will search everyday and bring my A-Game to interviews (starting tomorrow, May 27)
Body: do not buy candy, baked goods, chips, that should cut a good amount of junk out of my diet

What does rubbing garlic on your nails do? Give growth? Make them strong? Details.

Tink
05-29-2012, 07:52 AM
So sorry I haven't posted mine yet. I need a few more days to get it together!

NJoy
05-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Well, I have week 1 behind me and I didn't do very well. Between all the holiday and birthday celebrations, a crushing sinus headache that lasted for days and my trip out of town over the Memorial day weekend, I wasn't consistent with anything positive. I've updated my blog with the gorey details and vow to do much better this week.

Today, I'm all worn out from our holiday vacation on the beach and then chaperoning a kindergarten class (7 of em, actually) field trip to the Aquarium. I. am. beat! I think this counts towards my getting sleep goal tho. :giggling: Hoping my oldest is home tonight so that I can go workout later. Meantime, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

NJoy
05-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Today I'm definitely feeling like I'm getting back on track.

I cowashed my hair last night. It was soooo needed.

Today, my hair was still well-moisturized and looking pretty good. Even so, I still decided to massage a scalp treatment and added steam for 5 mins to help open my scalp's pores, as well as infuse more moisture (I did a mild protein treatment last night too)

I'm back on track with my supplements, I'm drinking acv/honey/grapefruit juice (followed by a grapefruit juice chaser) as well as sassy water (water w/cucumbers, ginger and mint). I'm on track with drinking water and even spent some time outside catching some sun. My eating has been clean and I had a chance to do some exercise...(some). I've been snacking on boiled eggs, carrots and almonds (not together). Each is supposed to be beneficial towards my goals.

My nails seem to be in good shape and have grown some since I had them polished. I can probably get another few days outta this polish. Meantime, I'll hit 'em with a clear coat.

I'm still in lashes. I hate to take them off because they look so good. But it never ends well when I leave them on too long. I've been putting jbco on the base of my lashes. When I remove these individuals, I'll start appying jbco with a lash wand.

Let's see...what else? Oh, and I'll probably do a tumeric facial mask later tonight.

All in all, I'm feeling great and am back on track.

How are you ladies doing?

mividabella
05-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Sounds good. The bolded had me rotflmbo!!! Don't pay to look crazy. You really do have to be selective in your jean choices. You have to aggressively deal with the mom jeans situation by getting rid of them! They are the most unflattering things EVER!!!

Yes, but they are so comfy! I had some size 6's from after I had my daughter, but they are so unflattering because they are so big. I will be going shopping soon!

Anyways, I have been taking vitamins (leftover prenatals), I did a sulfur application yesterday, got a little heavy-handed and was dripping all afternoon, then cowashed w/elasta qp. I'm in the process of making an appointment to get my hair braided, so hopefully it will be braided within the next week. Clothes wise- I've been in the house so no fabulous outfits, however I have also decided to not look like Molly Maid when Hubby is home, so I have been wearing cute shorts & leggings (things I normally don't wear out), and he appreciates the change.:giggling: Nails, I need to do my fingernails, but my toes still look nice after painting them last week. I can probably get another week out of these, but I want to change the color. Oh, face, I almost forgot. I have been using Olay Professional with the little spin brush, I forgot I had it, I am in love! My face feels oh so clean after I wash it.

NJoy
05-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Yes, but they are so comfy! I had some size 6's from after I had my daughter, but they are so unflattering because they are so big. I will be going shopping soon!

Anyways, I have been taking vitamins (leftover prenatals), I did a sulfur application yesterday, got a little heavy-handed and was dripping all afternoon, then cowashed w/elasta qp. I'm in the process of making an appointment to get my hair braided, so hopefully it will be braided within the next week. Clothes wise- I've been in the house so no fabulous outfits, however I have also decided to not look like Molly Maid when Hubby is home, so I have been wearing cute shorts & leggings (things I normally don't wear out), and he appreciates the change.:giggling: Nails, I need to do my fingernails, but my toes still look nice after painting them last week. I can probably get another week out of these, but I want to change the color. Oh, face, I almost forgot. I have been using Olay Professional with the little spin brush, I forgot I had it, I am in love! My face feels oh so clean after I wash it.

Ugh. My facial spa brush kit is dead. D-E-A-D, dead. I need to get another. I forgot all about that.

And don't let comfy lull you into dowdy. It's a trick! :giggling:

I've decided to buy myself something nice every weekend. Even if it's just a t-shirt. But I'm not gravitating towards sales only. I'm looking for quality pieces that look GREAT on me. I will usually settle for something that looks ok if it's marked down enough. I've been asking myself whether that piece is fabulous enough to be in my wardrobe. I think this weekend I'll go lingerie shopping. I have no budget when it comes to lingerie. I have yet to have hubby object. :giggling: And I've also decided not to look like Molly Maid around my hubby. It's the little things.

Oh, and as far as my great day yesterday, I messed it up a bit by going to bed without taking my evening supplements. I think the evening ones are more beneficial than the morning because your body gets to use them during its rejuvenation period (sleep). Ah well. Today's a new day and I'm off to a good start. My problem comes when the weekend gets here. Eating clean on the weekends? Not so easy. :sosad:

(pst! I still haven't gotten my butt in the gym to start with the trainer. I'm headed to the hospital to see the newest addition to our family. My great, great niece. Dang. That makes me sound older than I am but kids these days.)

MsDarling
06-04-2012, 01:45 AM
What does rubbing garlic on your nails do? Give growth? Make them strong? Details.

I always read this "tip" in magazines and garlic I think is high in sulfur, which is great hair, skin, nails, also I noticed nail products with garlic as an ingredient.

So I decided to give it shot, I am trying to document my progress, but got sidetracked.

I googled it again just now and found this: http://skinverse.com/garlic-for-strong-hard-nails.html

MsDarling
06-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Update time.

My goals:

My process:

My hair has been scarfed before bed religiously, I will wash and retwist, but I've been wearing a twistout and bun because of bday celebration, laidbackness.
I'm on my raw honey masks, but worried, I believe they are preventing my skin from tanning, I am not going to do ACV toner everyday because my skin is sensitive to it, I will do it every other day.
I've slacked on my water intake because of bday anticipation and being too lazy.
I couldn't continue my garlic from the end of last week until now because my sis treated me to a mani/pedi for my bday (couldn't say no), they filed my nails down a bit, but I like the shape, will be removing the polish tomorrow or the day after to continue my garlic experiment.
I did get an interview and land a gig!
As far as junk food goes, I've been slacking eating sweets cause of my bday, will be back on track today.

One more goal I thought of is to stop procrastinating and sell my clothing/shoes that are unwanted and donate the rest, I've been procrastinating this for at least 6 months.
I will sell all I think can be sold to second hand shops, by the end of this month.

Hope everyone's still going strong!

mividabella
06-04-2012, 05:46 PM
I've decided to buy myself something nice every weekend.

^^ That is all I read! LOL. I'm in total agreeance with that plan! I will be doing the same! I'm going to write a post in my blog about week 1, it was not a good week. Hopefully week 2 will be better!

mividabella
06-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Update time.

My hair has been scarfed before bed religiously, I will wash and retwist, but I've been wearing a twistout and bun because of bday celebration, laidbackness.
I'm on my raw honey masks, but worried, I believe they are preventing my skin from tanning, I am not going to do ACV toner everyday because my skin is sensitive to it, I will do it every other day.
I've slacked on my water intake because of bday anticipation and being too lazy.
I couldn't continue my garlic from the end of last week until now because my sis treated me to a mani/pedi for my bday (couldn't say no), they filed my nails down a bit, but I like the shape, will be removing the polish tomorrow or the day after to continue my garlic experiment.
As far as junk food goes, I've been slacking eating sweets cause of my bday, will be back on track today.

One more goal I thought of is to stop procrastinating and sell my clothing/shoes that are unwanted and donate the rest, I've been procrastinating this for at least 6 months.
I will sell all I think can be sold to second hand shops, by the end of this month.

Hope everyone's still going strong!

Congrats on the new job!!!!!:clap2:

NJoy
06-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm back on track with my supplements and drinking water. Working out and not eating junk? Well...I need to do better.

My skin seems be be liking something that I'm doing so, I'm happy with that. And my nails are super hard. I haven't had a chip, peel or break in a long time and they're looking lovely.

I'm STILL in these lashes. I can't take them off. They look lovely and make such a huge difference in my appearance. I have been rubbing jbco on my lashes tho. I figure eventually the oil may cause them to start slipping. Not yet tho. I may try strips to keep the look after I've taken these individuals off. But, I can never get my strips to stay right. Ehn. We'll see what happens.

As for my hair, I've been working on detangling and putting them in mini twists for the past few days now. I still have about 20% to complete. I like how the twists look and hang. But, by the time I get them all in, it'll be time for me to start retwisting some. That's fine. I hope, with regular retwisting for maintenance, to keep these in for at least a week or two... or maybe longer, if I can get away with it.

mividabella
06-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Ordered JBCO, should be here soon! Cowashing and putting my 4 braids in!

MsDarling
06-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Congrats on the new job!!!!!:clap2:

Thanks! It happened sooner than I thought it would, but I sure wanted it.

MsDarling
06-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Back with an update!

My goals:
Finances: get a paying gig for extra moolah (done)

My process:

Hair: This is kind of gross, especially with the heat, but I haven't washed my hair since May 27, I think. I've been bunning, but I wear my scarf every night. Maybe I'll still retain well, I originally wanted to be in twists like all the time, like I usually am, but the past weeks, I've slacked.

Skin: I've stopped the raw honey masks for a few days and no acv either because my skin took a downturn after I made a scrub using brown sugar which has larger granules than the white sugar, but I couldn't find the white sugar, that was a huge mistake. I had red patches from using the scrub on my cheeks, and so I didn't know what to do. Frustrated, I used almond oil on my skin because lotion was irritating, then I went to wholefoods yesterday and bought evening primrose oil and punctured the capsule and rubbed the oil on my face last night. I woke up and the red patches had turned darker, but strangely enough, I could peel them (gross I know), anyway I used my fingertips even to just rub my face and the skin was flaking off, and most of the skin just came off to reveal, undamaged, non-red skin. My skin had taken a 180! This is a good sign, I have more oil on my face tonight, I hope my skin improves. I guess I'm experimenting with EPO now.
I will beat hyperpigmentation and have healthy, clear, smooth skin on my face.

Hands: I really want 1/8 over tip of fingers, but rubbing garlic is not something I can keep with on my current schedule, I will do it when I can. Plus I want to enjoy my nails! So I decided live and let love and bought a new yellow polish yesterday. I did find a blogger who's experimenting with garlic too and she's being rather scientific with her procedure, she's here, (http://aliceinloubieland.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/garlic-experiment-day-22-update/)she had found my blog post about my garlic thing, haha.

Feet: my pedicure is still going strong, I think I overestimated my need to paint my toenails, my polish usually lasts for at least 2 weeks, if not longer and plus I want to savor my first salon pedicure. I was feeling myself when I was at the salon and they didn't do much to my feet because I already maintain them so well.:cool:

Body: I'm so not on track, I had two cream puffs today (they were so good) and a pretzel from Auntie Anne's, I love carbs, I'm already small, and I just adore carbs, but I know it's not healthy, and I've been told to cut them out, plus my thighs might punish me, I'm too short to be out of proportion. On a positive note: I bought tons of kale yesterday, vitamin k, a, and calcium, does that cancel anything out?

Extra: I will start to sort out stuff to be donated/sold, haven't done it yet.

How's everyone else doing?

MsDarling
06-08-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm back on track with my supplements and drinking water. Working out and not eating junk? Well...I need to do better.

My skin seems be be liking something that I'm doing so, I'm happy with that. And my nails are super hard. I haven't had a chip, peel or break in a long time and they're looking lovely.

I'm STILL in these lashes. I can't take them off. They look lovely and make such a huge difference in my appearance. I have been rubbing jbco on my lashes tho. I figure eventually the oil may cause them to start slipping. Not yet tho. I may try strips to keep the look after I've taken these individuals off. But, I can never get my strips to stay right. Ehn. We'll see what happens.

As for my hair, I've been working on detangling and putting them in mini twists for the past few days now. I still have about 20% to complete. I like how the twists look and hang. But, by the time I get them all in, it'll be time for me to start retwisting some. That's fine. I hope, with regular retwisting for maintenance, to keep these in for at least a week or two... or maybe longer, if I can get away with it.

Whoa, with hair your length, I can only imagine how long it's going to take you to complete your mini twists!

My hair is about mbl and it had taken me about 2 days of intermittent twisting on blown out hair.

The take-down is no joke, but I loved mine and had tons of compliments on them, and some haterators who refused acknowledge the twists were all my real hair and just gave me the stink eye.:giggling:

Post a picture of your twists if you can when you finish!

MsDarling
06-08-2012, 12:28 AM
^^ That is all I read! LOL. I'm in total agreeance with that plan! I will be doing the same! I'm going to write a post in my blog about week 1, it was not a good week. Hopefully week 2 will be better!

I always try to do "something" new every weekend, whether it's going to a new place to eat or ordering something I've never eaten before, seeing a new movie(alone) or going to a neighborhood, store, or park I never been.

I started this months ago when I was in a ldr and even though my dbf is back, I still try to honor this little tradition I started.

I try to do it no matter what, even if it seems small, like a couple months ago I went out and decided to wander a different neighborhood and ended up trying my first crepe, these are wonderful memories for me.

It's great to be able to make yourself happy, makes it easier to do so for others.

NJoy
06-08-2012, 01:26 AM
Whoa, with hair your length, I can only imagine how long it's going to take you to complete your mini twists!

My hair is about mbl and it had taken me about 2 days of intermittent twisting on blown out hair.

The take-down is no joke, but I loved mine and had tons of compliments on them, and some haterators who refused acknowledge the twists were all my real hair and just gave me the stink eye.:giggling:

Post a picture of your twists if you can when you finish!

After 4 days, I finally finished my twists last night. I had to jump in some water tho. It had been 4 days. Now my hair's a bit fuzzy, unless I wear a scarf on it to lay down the fuzziness. My relaxed ends look skimpy....as expected, so I'll try to curl those up and see what I get. I suppose I should be doing that now, huh? I'm laying in bed with my ends bunned up. Ah well. We'll see. I need to retwist some front ones too. But I'll see about getting some pics up.

NJoy
06-12-2012, 02:13 AM
Oiling my scalp tonight. I plan to get back to doing oil rinses with heavy oiling at least once a week and alternating between sulfur mix and castor oil scalp massages. I definitely want to get some coconut oil on the length of my hair. I may mix that with sesame oil (which has a sunscreen) and my wheatgerm oil. Oils have been my friend. I'm getting back to 'em. I just put in an order for Parachute Oil, which is a pure coconut oil from India and I'm also going to add mustard oil to my sulfur mix. Mustard oil is suppose to strengthen the hair's root and stimulate growth. I figure it should fit well in my mix.

Anyway, here's what my transitioning hair looks like with week old twists. You can see that if I keep trimming an inch at a time, I should be able to get rid of all the relaxed ends by the end of the year. But to do that, I need to stay on top of my growth game.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/tonia1c/2012-06-11-2rs.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/tonia1c/2012-06-11rs.jpg

That's all for now. It's well past my bedtime and I didn't get my 7 hours in last night. Ah well. Wishing you all sweet dreams.

MsDarling
06-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Oiling my scalp tonight. I plan to get back to doing oil rinses with heavy oiling at least once a week and alternating between sulfur mix and castor oil scalp massages. I definitely want to get some coconut oil on the length of my hair. I may mix that with sesame oil (which has a sunscreen) and my wheatgerm oil. Oils have been my friend. I'm getting back to 'em. I just put in an order for Parachute Oil, which is a pure coconut oil from India and I'm also going to add mustard oil to my sulfur mix. Mustard oil is suppose to strengthen the hair's root and stimulate growth. I figure it should fit well in my mix.

Anyway, here's what my transitioning hair looks like with week old twists. You can see that if I keep trimming an inch at a time, I should be able to get rid of all the relaxed ends by the end of the year. But to do that, I need to stay on top of my growth game.

What long twists you have! Lovely.

I think you're hair loves everything you do to it! Haven't tried mustard oil, always pass it when I'm at the Indian grocer.

NJoy
06-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Oil rinsed followed by an acv rinse, mainly for my scalp. I didn't DC or anything but I did apply a water/conditioner/veggie glycerine/infusium23 mix to my twists, followed by Hot 6 oil and then Crece Pelo leave in. My hair was SO well moisturized yesterday and I had so much fun wearing my twists in a high ponytail.

Oiling my scalp tonight with my sulfur mix. I'm putting in an order for Indian powders for my hair (I gotta stop it with these shipping costs). I'm gonna try them and cut back on poos and conditioners. (Notice I said cut back. Gotta crawl first)

I broke a nail on my right hand. Ah well. My thumb, pointer and middle finger on my right hand are always the first to go. I mean, they're not completely broken off but, shorter than the rest.

I've had insomnia over the past few nights while hubby was out of town. He's back now and I'm dead dog tired. I think I'm gonna turn in early tonight (which means before midnight for me). I hope you ladies are doing well and staying on track.

MsDarling
06-17-2012, 04:28 PM
My goals:
Finances: get a paying gig for extra moolah (done)

My process:

My hair: I twisted it last late Sunday, and have been spritzing it during the week, yes they looked "old", but didn't care, I wore it to work in a bun, and keep my hair to myself. On Friday night, tired as ever, I undid each twist removed shed hair and retwisted my dry hair. I added no product, my hair doesn't like much product (ie. shea, butters, coconut oil, olive oil, etc), but it seemed to like my spray mix because it was so soft even though my hair was dry and stretched. I have been wearing it in a bun, and plan to do so for the rest of this week making it two weeks when I finally wash.

Skin: my crazy setback last week was so crazy with the peeling and dryness. I stopped with the primrose oil, it wasn't hurting my skin though, one little capsule keeps my face moisturized all day. I resorted to mederma because I tend to get this dry problem every few years really bad on my left side, so I thought hey, why not just rub it on my face at night like a mask and try to clear all the hyperpigmentation, been doing that since Wednesday, and I know mederma works for scars, but never thought to use it like I am now. I am experiencing fading of my marks, especially the really one on my left side.
I bought an Aveeno clear complexion moisturizer with .5% salicylic acid, and it's okay so far only been using it for two days, but why not prevent any pimples if I can?
Yeah, so for the day I wash with black soap and apply my moisturizer, for night mederma masks and boy does mederma smell, the main ingredient is onion bulb extract.
Also bought a bunch of Montagne Jeunesse face masks and I like the fruit smoothie one I tried yesterday am incorporating more pampering in my life.

Hands: have incured several setbacks, my left hand is still prettier than the right, but I'm enjoying my nails, painting them and such, today is lime green.

Feet: removed my polish from the pedicure I've been wearing for 18 days now, OPI polish is no joke, it lasted forever on my feet. Will do my feet after my shower tonight.

Body: have been drinking more water than juice which is good, it's hot and I don't eat much when I'm too hot, just little things. I have been eating candy, I tried a girl scout thin mint flavored nestle bar, I just raved about on luuux (http://www.luuux.com/food/girl-scout-nestle-crunch-thin-mint?blog_id=102150). I feel bad, but it was so good, who doesn't like thin mints? I feel like one a day isn't the worst thing.:giggle:

I believe I have until the 26th, I'm really rooting for my skin. :clap2::bounce:

mividabella
06-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Go Hard Goals:

Fashion: Upscale my clothing (no more looking like a teen mom )

Okay, I'm not sure which week this is for me...I kinda lost track, but I have been mostly focused on my hair, nails, and skin. I gained a renewed interest in my hair by looking at other hair ppl's hair on forums & yt as inspiration. I stopped cowashing during the week, my hair is not dry, and am focusing on dc only once a week, then twisting/braiding my hair for the rest of the week. I know my hair grows best when I leave it alone, and since I'm in the house all day with the children, it's all good. My skin was doing great until I landed some oh so sexy period pimples on my face. So now I'm trying to get rid of those. I didn't do the garlic on my nails, but I was working on not biting, and applying jbco & evoo to my nails..why I thought it might work since hair and nail have similar properties? idk...

I have until the 28th, I believe, so I will continue my hair, face, nails, focus! I really need to start back on my vitamins as well, I was doing well but I fell off the boat. Fashion- I have created a list of things I want to purchase, and will buy things as I can.

mividabella
06-18-2012, 01:20 AM
@ Njoy, very nice twists!

Forgot to add that I took my twists/braids down today and put my hair in a bun until tomorrow's dc. I also want to buy some Liv, and see if my hair still likes it. I know it has the "bad stuff" in it, but this is all my mom used when I was younger, and my hair was the business. I'm really trying to simplify and find what works for me.

NJoy
06-18-2012, 09:28 PM
@ Njoy, very nice twists!

Forgot to add that I took my twists/braids down today and put my hair in a bun until tomorrow's dc. I also want to buy some Liv, and see if my hair still likes it. I know it has the "bad stuff" in it, but this is all my mom used when I was younger, and my hair was the business. I'm really trying to simplify and find what works for me.

Thanks Mividabella! I'm taking my mini twists out today and putting my hair in 8-10 braids instead. I'm doing a heavy coconut oiling tonight and will oil rinse tomorrow. Trying to prep my hair for my flat iron this week.

mividabella
06-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Njoy, I get so excited when you flat-iron your hair, you are such an inspiration. I'm here patiently waiting!

I'm about to rinse out my dc- Shea Moisture Deep Masque, it was the last of it, so now I'm either going to go back to Hair Mayo or try something new. After I rinse, I'm going to partly detangle my hair and put it in 2 braids until tomorrow, when I can get to it.

mividabella
06-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Njoy, I get so excited when you flat-iron your hair, you are such an inspiration. I'm here patiently waiting!

I'm about to rinse out my dc- Shea Moisture Deep Masque, it was the last of it, so now I'm either going to go back to Hair Mayo or try something new. After I rinse, I'm going to partly detangle my hair and put it in 2 braids until tomorrow, when I can get to it.

I actually slept in my DC, woke up this morning and made 4 braids and put them in a bun. I will keep them in for as long as they look decent, usually about 3-4 days. My face has cleared up nicely, I'm very happy for that. Just hoping to get my nails on track.

NJoy
06-20-2012, 12:40 AM

Thanks. I'm flat ironing tonight. I'd like to surprise my hubby when he gets home tomorrow. I hope it comes out nice but really, as long as it's out, he'll be happy.

Earlier, I oil rinsed followed by a tea rinse made for my scalp and an egg conditioning on my ends. I followed that with a moisturizing deep conditioner. After that, I sprayed my hair with a mix of chi silk infusion and EVOO and let it airdry. Hopefully my hair is sufficiently prepped for flat ironing now that I put the kiddies to bed.

And even tho I'm nowhere near finished, feeling my hair alllll the way down my back has me feeling all giddy. I hope this turns out beautifully.

NJoy
06-20-2012, 12:44 AM
WOW!!!! Right after I typed that ^^^ I heard a buzzing sound next to me. I thought it was my cellphone on vibrate but it was my flat ironing burning out. What in the hayl?! I think I've only used this flat iron 3 times total. Ugh!!!

NJoy
06-20-2012, 02:16 AM
So, at midnight, I'm up at Walmart trying to find a temporary flat iron so that I can finish my hair. There wasn't much to choose from but, I bought and Andis 1" curved edge professional flat iron. I did one small section and that thing burned my hair. :down: So much for that. I'm not gonna flat iron my hair with that thing. So, I'll probably get up early and see if Sally's has anything decent.

And to top it off, while at Walmart, I chipped my right pinky nail. What is going on? Anyway, I'll post when I'm done but, it was nice while it lasted.

mividabella
06-20-2012, 05:41 PM
So, at midnight, I'm up at Walmart trying to find a temporary flat iron so that I can finish my hair. There wasn't much to choose from but, I bought and Andis 1" curved edge professional flat iron. I did one small section and that thing burned my hair. :down: So much for that. I'm not gonna flat iron my hair with that thing. So, I'll probably get up early and see if Sally's has anything decent.

And to top it off, while at Walmart, I chipped my right pinky nail. What is going on? Anyway, I'll post when I'm done but, it was nice while it lasted.

What kind of flat iron did you have that burned out? If you didn't buy one already, they sell Chis now at Target.

NJoy
06-20-2012, 06:02 PM
What kind of flat iron did you have that burned out? If you didn't buy one already, they sell Chis now at Target.

Well, it was slim pickins at Walmart. I got the Andis Curved Edge. I only had it around 325 degrees and my hair sizzled, I could smell the burn and it felt burnt afterwards. My hair wasn't wet and was just flat ironed (part of it) with my Jilbere before running to Walmart.

I got the GVP CHI knockoff from Sally's on a friends recommendation. It worked pretty well but I'm still leary. I added more heat protectant, just to be sure, and ended up with a bit of greasiness. Hopefully, by the time I'm finished trimming and styling later, the greasiness will subside and it'll look fine. Hopefully.

mividabella
06-20-2012, 08:51 PM
^^^ I'm sure it will look great! :pop2: Waiting for pics patiently.

NJoy
06-21-2012, 06:03 PM
(also posted this in the daily thread)

Well, I'm trying to post pics. I'm out of town and using slow wi-fi at the hotel. My pics are STILL trying to upload to photobucket so that I can post 'em.

In the meantime, I was paranoid about burning my hair during flat ironing (because of the night before) so, my hair came out a little oily. I couldn't really get nice flowy pics but then again, I never get nice flowy pics. I'll have to go to a professional for flowy.

Also, I kept wanting my hair to be flatter but i had to realize that it's the natural thickness that's keeping it from getting bone flat. So, it came out a little poofy and poofed a bit more later.

When I flat iron my hair, I'm so obsessed about making my hair strong that it usually feels stiff. So, since my hair was oily anyway, I oiled my strands with coconut oil. Might as well. In having my hair heavily oiled, I can really see where the bonelaxed ends start. Right now it seems that my natural thickness is just above bsl. I'm 14 months post. Does that sound right? Ah well. That's what I see.

(*stops to check uploads*) I'll post as soon as I can get 'em up.

mividabella
06-21-2012, 06:28 PM
(also posted this in the daily thread)

Well, I'm trying to post pics. I'm out of town and using slow wi-fi at the hotel. My pics are STILL trying to upload to photobucket so that I can post 'em.

In the meantime, I was paranoid about burning my hair during flat ironing (because of the night before) so, my hair came out a little oily. I couldn't really get nice flowy pics but then again, I never get nice flowy pics. I'll have to go to a professional for flowy.

Also, I kept wanting my hair to be flatter but i had to realize that it's the natural thickness that's keeping it from getting bone flat. So, it came out a little poofy and poofed a bit more later.

When I flat iron my hair, I'm so obsessed about making my hair strong that it usually feels stiff. So, since my hair was oily anyway, I oiled my strands with coconut oil. Might as well. In having my hair heavily oiled, I can really see where the bonelaxed ends start. Right now it seems that my natural thickness is just above bsl. I'm 14 months post. Does that sound right? Ah well. That's what I see.

(*stops to check uploads*) I'll post as soon as I can get 'em up.

:pop2: Enjoy your (I'm assuming) birthday getaway! Can't wait for the pics! Wow, 14 months of naturalness @ BSL?! That's great growth!!! I never get flowy hair either...I guess it's a learned technique.

NJoy
06-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Well, apparently my natural hair is not going to get flat like I'm used to with relaxed hair. I may need a professional to get it straight. Also, my hair was oily from heat protectant and since my flat ironed hair always comes out feeling a little stiff, I oiled it with CO too. Might as well. It was oily anyway. So, I took pics with 2nd day hair to let the oil absorb a bit.

Heavy oiling straight hair helped me to really see where my relaxed ends start. I'm just above bsl with that. (I'm tempted to BC these skimpy relaxed ends now but won't know what to do with my hair.) The thickness is crazy. I wonder how I'll feel about HL natural because it feels like so much now. But, I'm going to stick with my HL goal for now and continue with trimming an inch or two at a time.

I'm in TN on the riverfront til Sunday. The humidity is crazy and my hair is reverting already. No biggie. I'd rather have my hair up anyway.

Anywho, here are my pics. I'm 14 months post.

I'm loving the thickness but, it does take some getting used to. If the main thickness is around bsl, it's gonna be crazy at hip. :thud: I gotta get serious with my regi to make my goal.

mividabella
06-22-2012, 07:45 PM
:clap3: @ Njoy, worth the wait!!! I love the thickness of your hair! I think your flatty looks pretty good considering how hot & humid it is out here! Great growth! Would you consider yourself HL?

NJoy
06-22-2012, 11:52 PM
:clap3: @ Njoy, worth the wait!!! I love the thickness of your hair! I think your flatty looks pretty good considering how hot & humid it is out here! Great growth! Would you consider yourself HL?

Thanks mividabella. I consider myself "grazing" HL. I'll be grazing HL for a bit. This is the length that I'd decided to trim at. So, I'd cut back an inch a month and hopefully grow an inch a month until all the relaxed ends are gone. I'm tempted to BC when my natural hair crosses mbl. In any case, I'm pretty sure that I'll BC at the end of the year. But, I need to go hard and get as many inches of ng as I can to reach my goal.

I laugh at myself talking about going hard because I'm not really holding myself accountable. I need someone pressing me. But, I'm gonna go hard these next six months. :cool: I am! :giggling:

NJoy
06-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Ok. My 30-day challenge is over. My skin, nails and sleep are coming along nicely. My hair is very healthy but, I didn't have pics to compare with for the beginning of the challenge so, I'm going to extend my personal challenge another 30 days. I think I'll officially start in July to keep it simple.

My fitness results are mixed. While I was eating much better, I didn't exercise as planned. I'd like to do better. I don't think I'm far from where I'd like to be so, I shold be encouraged. But, I think that's making me think I can afford to wait until tomorrow. :tuttut: So, fitness will definitely be on my agenda for July.

MsDarling
06-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Well, apparently my natural hair is not going to get flat like I'm used to with relaxed hair. I may need a professional to get it straight. Also, my hair was oily from heat protectant and since my flat ironed hair always comes out feeling a little stiff, I oiled it with CO too. Might as well. It was oily anyway. So, I took pics with 2nd day hair to let the oil absorb a bit.

Heavy oiling straight hair helped me to really see where my relaxed ends start. I'm just above bsl with that. (I'm tempted to BC these skimpy relaxed ends now but won't know what to do with my hair.) The thickness is crazy. I wonder how I'll feel about HL natural because it feels like so much now. But, I'm going to stick with my HL goal for now and continue with trimming an inch or two at a time.

I'm in TN on the riverfront til Sunday. The humidity is crazy and my hair is reverting already. No biggie. I'd rather have my hair up anyway.

I'm loving the thickness but, it does take some getting used to. If the main thickness is around bsl, it's gonna be crazy at hip. :thud: I gotta get serious with my regi to make my goal.

Great hair color!

I agree, considering the humidity your hair is holding up well.

Enjoy your birthday get-a-way!:birthday3::birthday2:

NJoy
06-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the birthday wishes. I had a great time. I started using CO nightly while on vacation. My hair was reverting but, I did get to do some braided buns outta the deal before I wet my hair (which I still haven't yet). Now that I'm back, I've been continuing with oiling and braiding my hair. In fact, I've braided my hair down and will probably keep it braided for awhile. I can cornrow other's hair but upon close inspection of my own braided hair, you'll see that my braids are really small french braids. Ah well. As long as it's braided down. I'll probably unbraid and rebraid as needed but, it's hot outside. I don't want my hair out and have to resist throwing my hair in a ponytail (which was fun, btw).

I'm planning to get back to using sulfur and indian oils on the length. I'm particularly using bhringajab (did I spell that right) on my edges to keep my greys from trying to show out on me. Will also get amla because I hear that helps too. Oh, and while I'm talking about it, since I'm doing heavy oilings, I'm also planning to try ayurvedic powders to clean and condition my hair. We'll see how that works.

I have more time to give attention to my hair since my hubby will be traveling for work most of july. I have a family reunion in July also so, I hope my hair is in tip top shape.

As for trims, I didn't trim on the 20th like I wanted. I'm trimming by moon phases. not sure if that works but, it's a way to plan my trims. I may slow up on my trims and just do a real chop at the end of the year. My hair has grown back since I've done a total of 4 inches of trimming this year. But it's still discouraging that it's not past my last length check. Yeah. I understand that's the point but, it's still visually disappointing. I have to see and feel like my hair is growing to stay positive about my progress. I've been worried about my hemline and me messing it up with chopping the ends off of my braids so, why was I surprised that I obsessed about my hemline looking shabby when I finally straightened it. It's because it's what I expected. I usually get what I expect and didn't even realize I was expecting a problem until recently. So, I'm gonna let my hair grow longer to keep myself motivated.

I'm REALLY happy with the health of my hair. It feels great. My only complaint is my whispy, relaxed ends. But really, they're healthy because I've been trimming them away. I guess having it layered and in a V, against the nutural hair makes it feel thin to me. I didn't want to BC because I wanted the length and it feels lovely. I can't wait to grow more so that I can cut back to hip length.

(this turned into a blog post. copying this to my blog)

NJoy
06-27-2012, 09:50 PM
I think I'll start a new thread for the July Go Hard Challenge. That will start on Sunday. That gives me a few days to get my game plan and supplies in order.

MsDarling
06-28-2012, 01:19 AM
I think I'll start a new thread for the July Go Hard Challenge. That will start on Sunday. That gives me a few days to get my game plan and supplies in order.

I like the idea of starting on the beginning of the month.

Great, that gives me time to twerk my goals and priorities and to pick up some castor oil because obviously hair will still be one of them.:lmao:

Blessed1
06-28-2012, 08:14 PM

Njoy, your hair is doing great thru your transition. You make this hair game look easy. lol.