PDA

View Full Version : Check in with your 2012 length goal!!!

NJoy
01-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Ahhhh, the beginning of a new year is an exciting time! Full of expectancy, hopes and potential.

Let us know where you are and where you hope to be by year's end. Also, if you are so inclined, post a pic of your current length. Then come back and post pics at the end of each quarter or at the end of the year to track your progress. I'm looking forward to watching our hair grow in 2012. Let's do this!!! :yahoo:

NJoy
01-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Here's my starting/current length pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/tonia1c/2011-12-31235436-1.jpg

My goal for 2012 is TBL with a full "v" hemline.

I intend to get there by sticking to my regular regi, using my sulfur mix and visualizing my goal length.

Woo!!! Let's get it!!!

Amy V.
01-04-2012, 06:00 PM
My hair is shoulder length and now and I'm going for APL by June. By the end of December, I think I can reach BSL so that's what I'm shooting for!

Blessed1
01-04-2012, 07:00 PM
I had a major setback last month and had to cut back to NL. I'm over it. My goal for 2012 is APL.

Thanks Njoy, for talking me off a ledge. I WILL make APL or better!

mividabella
01-06-2012, 05:57 PM
My goal is full, healthy waistlength (or better!). I will get there by visualizing my goals, taking great care of my hair, and of course sulfur:giggle:!

Early Bird
01-06-2012, 07:56 PM
My goal is to retain 5 inches by the end of the year. My starting length is shown in avatar & below

NJoy
01-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Early Bird, Your hair is Beautiful!! +5"? :thumb:

mividabella
01-06-2012, 11:38 PM
My goal is to retain 5 inches by the end of the year. My starting length is shown in avatar & below

Very pretty! How do you usually wear your hair?

Early Bird
01-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Very pretty! How do you usually wear your hair?

My apology for not responding sooner: I bun approximately 90% and braid outs 10% of the time. Since the photos shown, I've trimmed 2" because I really need healthier and fuller ends but it seems like my hair grows in the "V" and I prefer blunt ends. I believe I can retain the 5" but I want my ends to look good too. Please share with me how you manage healthy "V or blunt" ends.

Early Bird
01-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Early Bird, Your hair is Beautiful!! +5"? :thumb:

I humbly accept and appreciate your compliment and flattered that it came from "the main hair diva":giggle: Please let me know how your care for your ends. I know your hair grows in the "V" and so does mine but I am wondering how often you trim and do you get excessive split ends? I baggie 90% of the time and only trim once a year (in December) but I'm wonder if I could improve my retention if I trimmed more often. What is your take on the matter of trimming?

mividabella
01-11-2012, 01:02 AM
My apology for not responding sooner: I bun approximately 90% and braid outs 10% of the time. Since the photos shown, I've trimmed 2" because I really need healthier and fuller ends but it seems like my hair grows in the "V" and I prefer blunt ends. I believe I can retain the 5" but I want my ends to look good too. Please share with me how you manage healthy "V or blunt" ends.

I am a newbie when it comes to the "V" or blunt look, since I don't wear my hair straight often, only because I have to go to the shop and it starts at $60 for a flat iron (& increases by length). I know, I need to learn how to do it myself. The only thing I do with my ends is to make sure they are moisturized & sealed, but I would love to know more tips from others as well as the answer to your trimming question.

NJoy
01-11-2012, 01:10 AM
I humbly accept and appreciate your compliment and flattered that it came from "the main hair diva":giggle: Please let me know how your care for your ends. I know your hair grows in the "V" and so does mine but I am wondering how often you trim and do you get excessive split ends? I baggie 90% of the time and only trim once a year (in December) but I'm wonder if I could improve my retention if I trimmed more often. What is your take on the matter of trimming?

I care for my ends pretty much the same. I only trim (or use the splitender) if it appears I need a trim. I plan to trim more this year because I want to get rid of my bonelaxed ends, which look pretty skimpy against the rest of my hair. And my hair is layered so, another reason for more aggressive trims this year. I don't think trimming more often is needed to up your retention unless your ends are regularly exposed.

Early Bird
01-11-2012, 11:21 PM
I care for my ends pretty much the same. I only trim (or use the splitender) if it appears I need a trim. I plan to trim more this year because I want to get rid of my bonelaxed ends, which look pretty skimpy against the rest of my hair. And my hair is layered so, another reason for more aggressive trims this year. I don't think trimming more often is needed to up your retention unless your ends are regularly exposed.

Thanks, I'll continue with my annual trims and I'll add a couple seek and destroy session for good measure.

NJoy
01-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks, I'll continue with my annual trims and I'll add a couple seek and destroy session for good measure.

That sounds like a good plan. :thumb:

Bellasmom
01-23-2012, 01:05 PM
My starting length is at shoulder length maybe a littleover that. I would like to reach. MBL by end of 2012. 352

NJoy
01-23-2012, 01:37 PM
My starting length is at shoulder length maybe a littleover that. I would like to reach. MBL by end of 2012. 352

You can do it! Just stay consistent. Are you natural or relaxed?

Bellasmom
01-23-2012, 01:42 PM
You can do it! Just stay consistent. Are you natural or relaxed?

I'm relaxed as of earlier this month. I had been stretching from August whewww the shedding was horrible. But I will continue to stretch as long as possible going forward.

NJoy
01-23-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm relaxed as of earlier this month. I had been stretching from August whewww the shedding was horrible. But I will continue to stretch as long as possible going forward.

Oh ok. Yeah, when I'm relaxed, daily cowashing worked really well for me using the sulfur mix. I'm somewhere like 40 wks post now and trying to make it to one year. My last stretch lasted 38 wks but i had tons of shedding/breakage towards the end. But, I was under a lot of stress at that time so, I'm sure that didn't help. I figure, if I can make it to one year, I might officially transitions. Meh. We'll see tho.

Bellasmom
01-23-2012, 01:53 PM
40 weeks? How do you make that work? I went 4 months and my hair shed consistently.

NJoy
01-23-2012, 02:25 PM
40 weeks? How do you make that work? I went 4 months and my hair shed consistently.

For me, I have to wash my hair in braided sections and I cannot detangle in the shower after I get to 4 or 5 months post. I might finger detangle a bit but, basically, if I'm washing, my hair stays in braids (I'm talking 4-6 celie braids, btw) and I put poo on my fingertips and wash my scalp and let the runoff hit the length of my hair. When I'm cowashing or using conditioner, I go braid by braid, unbraiding, finger detangling (a bit) getting the conditioner on the length and rebraiding. I rinse the conditioner with my hair still braided (I don't braid all the way to the ends tho. my ends tend to tangle).

After that, I allow my hair to airdry a bit and carry on with adding my leave ins and seal and I'll let it dry like that overnight. when it's dry, since my hair is moisturized and sealed, hairs slide out of tangles so, I finger detangle. I lose minimal hairs thru shedding this way. I know people say not to dry detangle but, this has been saving my hair deep in my stretches. Maybe if I was 100% natural I could do it but, that line of demarcation is no joke.

Also, I like to spray a mix of infusium23, water, veggie glycerin and SAA in my hair before adding my moisturizers. I think that helps to make my strands stronger.

So, my hair pretty much stays in these braids but I take care of them and hide my hair away for the winter under wigs (only if necessary) or one of those heavy nets (baggy + black satin cap+ colored hair net).

Bellasmom
01-23-2012, 02:33 PM
WOW i like the co-washing in braids idea. Will have to try that