PDA

View Full Version : Winter Protective Style Challenge

Ravengirl
11-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Hello, ladies! This is a pretty basic challenge with not many rules to follow. It officially runs from Dec 1st, 2011 - Feb 29th, 2012.

Wear your hair in a protective style of your choose be it wigs, weaves, buns, braids, etc.
There are a handful of passes as you can wear your hair out 1 day per week.
Check in at least once a month.
Posting pictures aren't mandatory but are encouraged because who doesn't love hair pics. :giggle:

See? Simple and sweet. Now ladies let's grow some hair!

Challengers
Ravengirl
mividabella
NJoy
Early Bird

Ravengirl
11-14-2011, 10:56 PM
I will be starting this challenge early as I will be starting this week. I plan to wear my hair in cornrows under wigs for the winter. Keeping it nice and simple. Hopefully I won't have to redo my braids often as I would like to keep them in for 1 to 2 months at a time.

mividabella
11-15-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm in! I will be braiding my hair and covering it with a scarf daily. I may get my hair cornrowed once or twice as well.

mividabella
11-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Changed my mind...my color purples aren't looking too pretty and I am constantly taking them out to length check. I'm going to get my hair cornrowed so I can leave it alone for a few weeks at a time.

NJoy
11-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Changed my mind...my color purples aren't looking too pretty and I am constantly taking them out to length check. I'm going to get my hair cornrowed so I can leave it alone for a few weeks at a time.

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Does that mean Celie braids?

I'm in! I'm definitely putting my hair away for the winter. I'm gonna try cornrowing my hair and wearing beneath wigs or caps...baggied, of course.

mividabella
11-20-2011, 12:13 AM
:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Does that mean Celie braids?

I'm in! I'm definitely putting my hair away for the winter. I'm gonna try cornrowing my hair and wearing beneath wigs or caps...baggied, of course.

LOL...yes thats what I call them. They are not sexy AT ALL. I just like that I can do them myself and I still have access to my scalp so I can apply sulfur. I'm switching to cornrows so that way my hair will be neater (it will be under a scarf anyways) and so I can't length check every night!

Ravengirl
11-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Hello fellow challengers. :wave: Wishing everyone good luck.

Like I said I started this challenge early. So far so good. My braids are already getting a bit frizzy but I will NOT be taking them out until at least 2 weeks. I don't know why I am obsessed with having neat braids when no one even sees them. Recently, found out about Super Beauty which is like the Walmart of hair! I want to go so bad to buy one or two wigs. That should get me through to February without getting bored.

NJoy
11-23-2011, 02:18 AM
LOL...yes thats what I call them. They are not sexy AT ALL. I just like that I can do them myself and I still have access to my scalp so I can apply sulfur. I'm switching to cornrows so that way my hair will be neater (it will be under a scarf anyways) and so I can't length check every night!

I do Celie braids too because I can't cornrow my own hair to save my life. Well, I can but, it ain't pretty.

Hello fellow challengers. :wave: Wishing everyone good luck.

Like I said I started this challenge early. So far so good. My braids are already getting a bit frizzy but I will NOT be taking them out until at least 2 weeks. I don't know why I am obsessed with having neat braids when no one even sees them. Recently, found out about Super Beauty which is like the Walmart of hair! I want to go so bad to buy one or two wigs. That should get me through to February without getting bored.

Would that be Super Beauty in the Greenbriar plaza? Aisle and aisles of hair!! :clap2:

mividabella
11-23-2011, 05:06 PM
^^ I recently learned how to cornrow so I can do my toddler's hair decent. But my own hair, especially the new growth in the front :nono:.

But I have a new style, just 4 simple braids and then I pull them back in a bun (going to get a clip so I won't have to use a scrunchie). It's easier to detangle each section and redo, and I can get to my scalp to apply the sulfur. I'm going to keep this up until I can get my hair braided.

Ravengirl
11-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Would that be Super Beauty in the Greenbriar plaza? Aisle and aisles of hair!! :clap2:
Yep, that's the one. I blame that thread you started for perking my interest in the place. Haven't been yet but I so want to go!

NJoy
11-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Yep, that's the one. I blame that thread you started for perking my interest in the place. Haven't been yet but I so want to go!

I'm up for a field trip. :giggle:

Early Bird
11-26-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm in on this challenge...I bun 90% of the time anyway :giggle:

NJoy
11-28-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm in on this challenge...I bun 90% of the time anyway :giggle:

Yay! Welcome Early Bird! The more the merrier! :wave:

mividabella
11-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Put my CPs back in, I will take one out for an official starting pic sometime this week. Good luck ladies!

NJoy
11-29-2011, 10:21 AM
I will be braidless for the next few days. I'm planning to wear my hair out...at least for tomorrow night for my anniversary. Wouldn't you know the weather would be rainy with possible snow. smh. Ah well. I'm keeping my promise to hubby and doing the best that I can to wear it out. I'll probably try to cornrow it after that.

mividabella
11-30-2011, 11:07 PM
I took an updated length photo. I will add it tomorrow. I'm still in braids and applying CO or SM every night.

mividabella
12-03-2011, 12:08 AM
I took a starting pic (posted in my blog), now deciding should I get my hair cornrowed or extensions.

Ravengirl
12-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Things that I am figuring out during this challenge:

My hair needs to be moisturized on a regular schedule -- about every other day. My hair dries up so fast in the winter time so I have to be more on top of the moisture game.
Oils and butters are best for me in the colder months. Coconut oil and rice bran oil mix together continue to be my hair best buds. Stocked up on Qhemet Biologics Aethiopika Twisting Butter!
Even though my braids can last for a few weeks it is best for me to re-braid the perimeter of my hair once a week before it becomes too loose. I use that to anchor the wig comb in the back (when I use it) and don't want it to pull out my hair.
Don't freak out over the amount of shed hair after being in braids for weeks on end. I thought my hair was falling out until I realized I had almost 3 weeks of shed hair sitting in those braids.

I will be taking a short break from this challenge next weekend to rock a braid-out then it's back to wigs.

mividabella
12-10-2011, 06:18 PM
I was on a slight hiatus the past few days, 1/2 bun 1/2 wng (one I blogged about) but I'm back on the ball. Will be braiding my hair tonight.

mividabella
12-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Going to switch to wet bunning instead of braids. Hopefully it will not only be easier but nicer looking as well.

Ravengirl
12-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Going to switch to wet bunning instead of braids. Hopefully it will not only be easier but nicer looking as well.

How do you go about wet bunning?

mividabella
12-28-2011, 11:17 PM
How do you go about wet bunning?

I'm not sure if this is the "proper" definition, but what I do is:
1. cowash (usually washing out the sulfur mix in the morning)
2. use water as my moisturizer, and seal with castor oil
3. make a bun
4. cover my hair and GHE/baggy for a few hours or overnight, take off the wrap and wear the bun

I notice that my hair stays way more moisturized than if I were to just take it down and moisturize, if that makes sense. I don't like braiding my own hair, since it's #fail each time & I don't have to worry about super-detangling with a bun. Plus, since my hair is wet, I have less chance of matting and breakage.

NJoy
01-06-2012, 01:33 AM
I wet/damp bunned a lot in 2010. For me, after cowashing, and sealing in my leave ins, I'd bun my hair, being sure to tuck my ends under and into the center of the bun, and then covering with a plastic flaptop sandwich bag or a plastic cap. When I'd use the sandwich bag, I'd use a ponytail holder on top of the baggy to hold it on, making sure the holder was on top of the plastic and not touching my hair. With the plastic cap, I'd keep wrapping it onto itself until it fit. This usually resulted in 3 layers of plastic over my bun.

And important thing to remember about wet/damp bunning is not to make the bun too tight because, even tho the covered hair stays moist, the rest of the hair will airdry. And as it airdries it will draw up and pull tighter. So if there's no slack left when making the bun, you could get some breakage. This is why some experience breakage with wet bunning.

Also, if you could allow the hair to airdry a bit so that it's damp and not sopping wet, the hair is even stronger. I switched from wet bunning, straight out of the shower, to allowing to airdry a bit after sealing. Also, I used aloe gel (but you can use ecostyler too) on my edges and then tie a satin/silk scarf snuggly around the edges while I let the rest of my hair airdry a bit (usually while getting dressed or finishing up at the vanity). This will allow the edges to dry flat. Then I'd go back (in say 5-10 mins) and damp bun.

Then the wrapped bun can be covered with a scarf, a phonytail, under a cap or under a wig. This kept my ends in perfect condition!

HTH

mividabella
01-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Still bunning, but really want braids. I will probably get my (own) hair braided soon.

NJoy
01-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Still bunning, but really want braids. I will probably get my (own) hair braided soon.

Individual braids or cornrows?

mividabella
01-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Individual braids or cornrows?

Cornrows (that will be covered up under a scarf), although I REALLY REALLY want individuals (with hair). But everyday at work I see children with NO edges due to braids and I'm like HELL to the NO! LOL.

NJoy
01-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Cornrows (that will be covered up under a scarf), although I REALLY REALLY want individuals (with hair). But everyday at work I see children with NO edges due to braids and I'm like HELL to the NO! LOL.

:lol: @ NO edges. IKR? Sounds like a good plan, girl.

mividabella
01-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Seriously! I would take a pic if I could, because I'm like how did they braid the front? Poor babies.

NJoy
01-16-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm still rocking 4-6 Celie braids. I link them together and pin them up in the back and throw a scarf around my edgesto flatten 'em down. I baggy in the same style at night.

mividabella
01-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Hey Ladies,
It's only 1 month left. Can't wait to see the new growth we got from the winter!

ETA: Going hard this last month. I WILL GET ANOTHER INCH.

NJoy
01-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Yes! I'm looking forward to spring. I've been doing ok but plan to go hard the rest of this month and next. I WILL get another inch too! :great:

mividabella
02-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Braided half of my hair in box braids, I will leave them in for the next three weeks...well when I finish them first...:giggling:

NJoy
02-02-2012, 12:53 AM
^^^ :giggling:

mividabella
03-02-2012, 12:05 AM
I used a heat pass, and flat-ironed my hair for the first time in my life. I still bunned though.

Oh, and I never finished those box braids, I took them down. I didn't like them on unstretched hair. Made my hair look short.:tuttut:

NJoy
03-02-2012, 08:40 PM
I used a heat pass, and flat-ironed my hair for the first time in my life. I still bunned though.

Oh, and I never finished those box braids, I took them down. I didn't like them on unstretched hair. Made my hair look short.:tuttut:

So, uh.... is your hair flat ironed now? Got any pics to share? :giggling: You already know I'm greedy when it comes to pics.

mividabella
03-03-2012, 08:49 PM
So, uh.... is your hair flat ironed now? Got any pics to share? :giggling: You already know I'm greedy when it comes to pics.

I wrote about it in my blog (http://mydivaspot.com/forums/entry.php?112-My-first-(self)-flatiron!) here. Me too, I love pics, but this was my first time, so be nice:nerves:!

NJoy
03-03-2012, 10:45 PM
I wrote about it in my blog (http://mydivaspot.com/forums/entry.php?112-My-first-(self)-flatiron!) here. Me too, I love pics, but this was my first time, so be nice:nerves:!

Ahhhhhh. That hit the spot. Awesome job with your very first flat iron! You did that! :great:

mividabella
03-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks Njoy! It means a lot, especially from a guru like yourself! Now I'll really be PS'ing to get to my goal.