PDA

View Full Version : Alright, y'all I need some prayer

Tink
08-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Hi ladies! I really need y'all to pray for me. I know this may not seem like a big deal but it is to me. I am soooooooooooo tired!!! My youngest son is almost 11 months old and has YET to sleep through the night. I have not had a good night's rest since he was born and it has really taken a toll on me. :faint: I need my beauty sleep. :sleep: :shake: Prayers and any advice would be appreciated. (He's breast fed and a very light sleeper)

NJoy
08-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Hi ladies! I really need y'all to pray for me. I know this may not seem like a big deal but it is to me. I am soooooooooooo tired!!! My youngest son is almost 11 months old and has YET to sleep through the night. I have not had a good night's rest since he was born and it has really taken a toll on me. I need my beauty sleep. Prayers and any advice would be appreciated. (He's breast fed and a very light sleeper)

Oh my. And I thought I've been tired lately. :hug: First of all, I will definitely pray for you. He gives rest to those He loves (Psalm 127:2). Girl, you must be exhausted and boy, am I familiar with no sleep due to a little one. I don't know what your situation is but, you have to get rest in whenever you can. Nap when he naps during the day. Waking up in the middle of the night--night after night--is no joke! Can you tag team hubby and grab a few hours to yourself? Or, maybe there's a Mom's Morning Out program close by. There's a church near me that does this sort of program that allows moms 3-4 hours. Or how about a friend with a child with whom you can schedule a babysitting exchange? Or, is there a sympathetic family member that can help you out a bit? What I had to end up doing was hire a teenage neighbor that I trained as a mother's helper to come over and watch the baby while I got some rest.

Also, tell me about how your son sleeps? Does he wake up hungry or just restless? What sort of bedtime routine do you have for him? My tips for him is to make sure that he doesn't nap too close to bedtime. Make that brotha stay up and get him to do a lot of moving around. Make sure that he eats well and give him a nice warm bath before laying him down at night. (I'm getting sleepy just thinking about it :giggle:). Make sure his bedtime routine is consistent so that he feels safe and don't do a lot of peeking in. Our routine after a warm bath has always been hugs and a night-night song (bedtime story when a little older) and then lay down, lights off, door closed (monitor in the room). Tired, warm bath, full tummy and a familiar routine ? Oh, he'll sleep well. It's really important to get him used to sleeping with the door closed since he's a light sleeper. You can have soft lullaby music playing, if you like but, it better be continuous or he'll pop up when he doesn't hear it. :giggle:

And again, I'll pray for relief for you.

I've been wiped these past few days lately and catching naps now that the kids are in schoool (my youngest just started K5. :yahoo:) So, I definitely feel you on the exhaustion thing.

ebsalita
08-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Aaw Tink, I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so tired. I am sending up a prayer right now for you and the little one.

I don't have children myself, but I know what sleep deprivation feels like as I suffer from bouts of insomnia with no discernable cause - it makes you feel so wretched and crazy when you're constantly tired. :bighug:

Summertime
08-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi Tink, I can completely relate to you. My son was the same way. He was breastfed and woke up every two hours like clockwork for more than a year. My husband helped as much as he could but since I had the milk there was only so much he could do. Eventually the two hours turned to four and the four hours turned to six which allowed me some rest and the ability to slowly regain my sanity.

None of the advice given to me at the time worked so I won't pass any of it on to you, however I will encourage you with this: I have learned that I can endure almost anything for a short period of time and so can you. I know it may seem far off now but I promise you, you will get your rest back. My son is now 4 and in pre-school and I can only vaguely remember those sleepless nights.

Finally, NJoy gave some great advice about seeking some outside help if that's an option in the meantime I am praying for you.

Tink
08-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! He woke up around midnight last night and I didn't nurse him. I just patted him on his back for a few minutes. He cried a little but went back to sleep and didn't wake up again until 3:30am. I only let him nurse on one side instead of both. I am really believing God for him to start sleeping through the night. I am confessing it out loud, believing and expecting!!!

Tink
08-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Oh my. And I thought I've been tired lately. :hug: First of all, I will definitely pray for you. He gives rest to those He loves (Psalm 127:2). Girl, you must be exhausted and boy, am I familiar with no sleep due to a little one. I don't know what your situation is but, you have to get rest in whenever you can. Nap when he naps during the day. Waking up in the middle of the night--night after night--is no joke! Can you tag team hubby and grab a few hours to yourself? Or, maybe there's a Mom's Morning Out program close by. There's a church near me that does this sort of program that allows moms 3-4 hours. Or how about a friend with a child with whom you can schedule a babysitting exchange? Or, is there a sympathetic family member that can help you out a bit? What I had to end up doing was hire a teenage neighbor that I trained as a mother's helper to come over and watch the baby while I got some rest.

Also, tell me about how your son sleeps? Does he wake up hungry or just restless? What sort of bedtime routine do you have for him? My tips for him is to make sure that he doesn't nap too close to bedtime. Make that brotha stay up and get him to do a lot of moving around. Make sure that he eats well and give him a nice warm bath before laying him down at night. (I'm getting sleepy just thinking about it :giggle:). Make sure his bedtime routine is consistent so that he feels safe and don't do a lot of peeking in. Our routine after a warm bath has always been hugs and a night-night song (bedtime story when a little older) and then lay down, lights off, door closed (monitor in the room). Tired, warm bath, full tummy and a familiar routine ? Oh, he'll sleep well. It's really important to get him used to sleeping with the door closed since he's a light sleeper. You can have soft lullaby music playing, if you like but, it better be continuous or he'll pop up when he doesn't hear it. :giggle:

And again, I'll pray for relief for you.

I've been wiped these past few days lately and catching naps now that the kids are in schoool (my youngest just started K5. :yahoo:) So, I definitely feel you on the exhaustion thing.

I have never been a person who can sleep when the baby sleeps. I sometimes use that time to lay down and relax but I rarely fall asleep and when I do it's always when it's time for the baby to wake up, which is frustrating. I try not to bother Hubby at night because he has to be up early for work but he is great about giving me a break when I ask. We do have a nighttime routine and he does that well. I nurse him before bed and I put him down while he's still awake and he doesn't cry. Both my kids take a nap from 12 - 2pm with no problem and they both go down for bed with no fuss. I guess the problem is that he's waking out of habit and doesn't know how to get himself back to sleep. This wasn't a problem for my 2yr old... One thing you mentioned is the bath at night. Maybe I should give that a try because I usually bathe them in the morning or early evening and not close to bedtime. Or maybe I can try a baby massage with lavendar lotion??? What do you think?

NJoy
08-14-2011, 05:51 PM
I have never been a person who can sleep when the baby sleeps. I sometimes use that time to lay down and relax but I rarely fall asleep and when I do it's always when it's time for the baby to wake up, which is frustrating. I try not to bother Hubby at night because he has to be up early for work but he is great about giving me a break when I ask. We do have a nighttime routine and he does that well. I nurse him before bed and I put him down while he's still awake and he doesn't cry. Both my kids take a nap from 12 - 2pm with no problem and they both go down for bed with no fuss. I guess the problem is that he's waking out of habit and doesn't know how to get himself back to sleep. This wasn't a problem for my 2yr old... One thing you mentioned is the bath at night. Maybe I should give that a try because I usually bathe them in the morning or early evening and not close to bedtime. Or maybe I can try a baby massage with lavendar lotion??? What do you think?

That sounds good. And I didn't realize that you're nursing. hehehehe. I love him already. Poo poo poo (that's me patting his lil diapy). I think patting him back to sleep will help. He's used to getting another feeding. Once that habit passes, he'll start sleeping better.

Wish I lived nearby. I'd help you. I love babies.

Tink
08-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Last night was a little better. He slept from around 8pm until 3:30am and was up again at 5:30am and 7:30am. I should have gone to bed on time (at 9pm) because I could have gotten some good sleep. I didn't go to bed until 11pm. Oh well...Imma keep trying...

NJoy
08-16-2011, 01:08 PM
In the meantime, just want to speak on behalf of your son and say "Thanks Mom, for all that you do. You are a phenomenal woman and greatly loved".

Tink
08-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Awww thanks! (((hugs)))

Tink
08-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Just a little update! My baby slept from bedtime until almost 6:30am!!! I am ecstatic and so thankful to God!!! Of course my 2yr old woke up screaming at 2:30am but she calmed down easily and went on back to sleep. I was up for less than an hour after that before I was able to go back to sleep but I was still so excited about the baby sleeping so well! Thanks so much for your prayers =)

Lovetoinspire
08-31-2011, 12:20 AM
Just a little update! My baby slept from bedtime until almost 6:30am!!! I am ecstatic and so thankful to God!!! Of course my 2yr old woke up screaming at 2:30am but she calmed down easily and went on back to sleep. I was up for less than an hour after that before I was able to go back to sleep but I was still so excited about the baby sleeping so well! Thanks so much for your prayers =)

As the mother of three boys, all breast fed, I know how you feel about the lack of sleep and the success of getting them soothed and sleeping through the night. The most important tip I can give and Njoy gave some humdingers, is to watch the clock. Be very, very consistent with nap time and bed time. I would not alter either by one second because their natural clocks will assist with the process so well. I was one of those down for the night at 7 p.m. (I wanted time with hubby alone) and up at 6 a.m. for breakfast....no joke. Nap time was on the dot and bath time was also scheduled as if it were the law. :giggle:

Before I knew it, they would get a visit from the sandman like clockwork and hubby and I could connect. They learned to sleep through the night.

NJoy
08-31-2011, 10:36 AM
How are things coming along now, Tink?

Tink
08-31-2011, 05:27 PM
He woke up around 4am when Hubby got up for work. That's still better than how it was before and he went back to sleep until after 8am! =)