PDA

View Full Version : Be kind to yourself! What have you done for YOU today?

NJoy
08-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Women have a tendency to make everyone and everything a priority over ourselves. Yeah, maybe we do special things for ourselves here and there. More than likely, it's too far in between. Life is meant to be enjoyed. And quality of life is subjective. If you neglect yourself, chances are, you'll feel neglected and/or taken for granted by others.

I was meditating on the scripture: "...love your neighbor as yourself." (Matt. 22:39)

I genuinely love people so, this scripture, and others like it, have always been easy for me to receive. But as I was meditating, "...as yourself" jumped out at me. Not only are we to love and be kind to others but ourselves also.

I'm particularly in the habit of putting others ahead of me and feel justified in doing so by Philippians 2:3 "Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself". But, I'm justifying apples with oranges. Esteeming others better has more to do with an attitude of humility.

Balance is loving others as or "just as" I love myself. So then, self-love is often mistaken as being selfish. It is not. God loves us and His love should permeate our very being. We're blessed and loved and don't we love who God loves?

That said, I thought I'd start this thread. Somewhere in the 80's, Janet Jackson asked "what have you done for me lately". Today, and every day, I'm asking"

What have you done for YOURSELF lately?

Be kind to yourself and find ways to do something special just for you today. Those little things add up to impact our perception and quality of life. Paint your toenails and admire how pretty they are. Treat yourself to something nice and bask in the moment. Add fragrant candles and relax in a bubble bath. It can be something big or small. All that matters is that you do SOMETHING for you. And give thanks, knowing that God desires the very best for you.

Come on. No procrastinating on this one. Do something and let us know how you've shown yourself love today. :reddancer:

NJoy
08-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Yesterday I took a well-needed nap. I usually won't nap during the day because there's just so much to be done. My nap was my decision to put myself first...for a change.

Today, I'm pampering myself with a spa foot soak and pedicure.

Get More Joy
08-12-2011, 09:46 PM
You were definitely speaking to me. I've neglected myself for far too long to the point where I was beginning to feel like I compromised my health and peace of mind. I left my job last month because I no longer wanted to feel burdened and used. Now, I'm working on making time for myself and telling others I'm not available.

Today was a partial me day. I slept until I felt like getting up. Treated myself to lunch and bought me some ice cream, too. Now, I'm doing my hair and my nails.

NJoy
08-12-2011, 09:59 PM
You were definitely speaking to me. I've neglected myself for far too long to the point where I was beginning to feel like I compromised my health and peace of mind. I left my job last month because I no longer wanted to feel burdened and used. Now, I'm working on making time for myself and telling others I'm not available.

Today was a partial me day. I slept until I felt like getting up. Treated myself to lunch and bought me some ice cream, too. Now, I'm doing my hair and my nails.

Girl, you are AWESOME! Taking a stand for yourself and setting personal boundaries. Yes! I hope you fully njoy your partial "Me" day. You deserve it. Treat yourself well and life follows suit.

I had a "Me" day today too. I started my day with a great workout at the gym, washed and DC'd my hair (got a little frustrated with it but, at least I had the time to be patient with it) and got a mani-pedi. Postponing date night because my hair isn't cooperating. Instead, it's pizza night at home while I continue giving my hair the attention it needs. I've been neglecting it for the past few days so it's the least I can do.

Yay for us! High five! :high5:

NJoy
08-15-2011, 12:27 AM
More rest! This weekend has been crazy. I think I started by staying up too late on Friday night and slept in til 4 pm on Saturday. Then I stayed up until 7 am on Saturday and slept in til 3:30pm today. I'm SO not used to getting that much uninterupted sleep. Hubby kept the kids from waking me up and let me sleep in. I feel SO well rested. I got up and took a nice long, relaxing bath, feeling very grateful for a weekend of leisure.

Tink
08-15-2011, 04:12 PM
I took the time to paint my toes yesterday and I love how they turned out! Hubby even complimented me on them. It took a long time and my routine went something like this:
Apply a clear base coat.
Feed kids.
Apply blue.
Change diapers.
Apply orange and green.
Bathe kids.
Well, you get the idea. lol - I did a color blocking design inspired by Bargain Princess. I'll try to post a pic later.

NJoy
08-19-2011, 11:10 AM
I took the time to paint my toes yesterday and I love how they turned out! Hubby even complimented me on them. It took a long time and my routine went something like this:
Apply a clear base coat.
Feed kids.
Apply blue.
Change diapers.
Apply orange and green.
Bathe kids.
Well, you get the idea. lol - I did a color blocking design inspired by Bargain Princess. I'll try to post a pic later.

*** ahem ***

Tink
08-19-2011, 01:14 PM
lol in my defense, I tried to post last night but realized the pic was on my camera's internal memory and not my sd card. Imma hook y'all up when the kids take a nap! =)

Bella
08-19-2011, 01:27 PM
lol in my defense, I tried to post last night but realized the pic was on my camera's internal memory and not my sd card. Imma hook y'all up when the kids take a nap! =)

:giggle: lol

Bella
08-19-2011, 01:30 PM
I've really been neglecting myself. Today, I'm treating myself to a makeover and new makeup from MAC. It's time to feel pretty again.

Tink
08-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Here it is! May not look like much but you should have seen a "before" shot! lol 172

NJoy
08-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Here it is! May not look like much but you should have seen a "before" shot! lol 172

Very creative. :thumb: How did you even come up with that design? I thought from the little pic that it was very patriotic but, then the green. Good job. Did you have to wait until each color dried or did you do some now and some colors later? *gets up to look for my nail polish knowing that any design I try will turn into a blended glob*

Tink
08-19-2011, 03:43 PM
It was inspired by this video http://www.youtube.com/user/BargainPrincess#p/c/BE68E47E2A041EB1/16/J1bfdJO1tZI

I always experiment on my toes because with 2 in diapers I'm constantly washing my hands plus I wouldn't be able to do much while waiting on them to dry. So I did the 2 clear coats and let them dry, then the blue and let it dry. I did the orange and green at the same time and let them dry then did the white and silver streaks and let them dry before doing a top coat. I don't know why the orange looks so red in the picture. I would have used red but couldn't find it!

NJoy
08-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Today, I decided to give myself a facial using the Hesh Naturoriche Skin-Life Powder (http://amzn.to/oeeXL9) that I bought awhile ago. I had it stashed away and, out of sight, out of mind. My skin has been breaking out and highly irritated lately. After my facial using this powder to make a mask, my skin feels soothed and is glowing. Why did I ever put this under my sink? It's pretty inexpensive and a box makes several treatments. Ordering more now. I definitely have to care for my face at least as much as I care for any other part of me.

Bella
08-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Saturday I went and had my hair done and it looks and feels wonderful! Today, I ordered a hair steamer. I see many pamper sessions in my near future.

NJoy
08-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Today I'll treat myself to another facial. I'm hoping my steamer comes in so that I can make a mini spa day out of it. :pray2: