PDA

View Full Version : Stretching a relaxer? Get in here!

NJoy
08-08-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm texlaxed and trying to stretch six months at a time. My last stretch was actually 38 weeks but, handling the ng got a little crazy, not to mention I was under a lot of stress with my mom being sick. I did pretty good but things started getting out of hand around the 7 mos post timeframe. So, I vowed not to stretch longer than 5-6 months at a time until I decide to transition. And before I can successfully transition, I have to learn how to handle my ng. I'm getting better tho. Just looking for others who are stretching to compare notes and encouragement.

I'll be 16 wks post tomorrow and plan to texlax at 6 months post. Anyone else? :welcome:

Tink
08-08-2011, 03:18 PM
I used to relax every 6 weeks and I will never go back to that again. The earliest I will relax is 8 weeks, the norm is 10 weeks, and the most is 12 weeks. When I really get a handle on keeping my newgrowth manageable, I wouldn't mind going longer than 12.

NJoy
08-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Girl, I used to do 12 weeks out of sheer laziness. :giggle: I'm using milk and coconut milk to temporarily loosen the curl pattern in my ng. Seems to be working pretty well so far.

Tink
08-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Regular milk? Coconut Milk? I haven't heard of that for new growth. Mine does seem to be a little more manageable after the henna.

Sweet_Intent
08-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Ive tried stretching... I think im just one ofo those head of hair that cant.... Just posted a blog about this. This is just after a 12week stretch

I can try some of the suggestions but if anything I need moisture since my hair is protein-sensitive. :nervous2:

Ms. D
08-08-2011, 06:23 PM
I stretch my relaxer 4 months at a time. This stretch, I am using braids and twists (took my braids out and now in twists) as a protective style. I am now 13 weeks post and because my last relaxer left me underprocessed, I feel like I am like 5 months post. I don't use direct heat. I only used it once this year and wont flat-iron until December for a length check.
Now it is reeeeaallly tough keeping my new-growth from tangling, so the longest I can last with my hair out (braid-out or PS) is like 1 week which is why I am in twists.

I do monthly henna or henna gloss treatments (helps loosen my new-growth), add black strap molasses to my DC's sometimes (this helps soften my new-growth) and I use Aloe Vera Juice to Detangle. So far, those are the only things that really helped me when I'm not in braids and twists.

NJoy
08-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Regular milk? Coconut Milk? I haven't heard of that for new growth. Mine does seem to be a little more manageable after the henna.

It's the lactic acid in milk that helps. So, you'll also hear some using yogurt (whole fat, not the low fat kind) and buttermilk too. I'm not really sure what's in the coconut cream that helps (I use coconut cream. It's thicker). So, for a thicker mix, I use plain yogurt. If I don't have that handy, I make a spray mix with regular milk or buttermilk. I just used it last night. You can tell in the shower that it loosens that hair because it just hangs better. And then doing an oil rinse afterwards makes my hair heavier in the shower. I LOVE the feeling because you can really feel the length of your hair and it feels thicker because of the weight of the oil.

I don't know if I mentioned that I bun and allow my hair to airdry. When it dries, it's really moisturized and easy to finger detangle.

I henna to loosen ng too but, I worry about using henna in my stretch if my hair's not thoroughly detangled. It just seems it would cement in the tangles. Probably not but, that's what's in the back of my mind. I also indigo so, when I henna when I need to indigo...which is now, really. I'm thinking I'll probably henna a couple days after I do the coconut/milk treatment so that my tangles aren't such a threat.

I stretch my relaxer 4 months at a time. This stretch, I am using braids and twists (took my braids out and now in twists) as a protective style. I am now 13 weeks post and because my last relaxer left me underprocessed, I feel like I am like 5 months post. I don't use direct heat. I only used it once this year and wont flat-iron until December for a length check.
Now it is reeeeaallly tough keeping my new-growth from tangling, so the longest I can last with my hair out (braid-out or PS) is like 1 week which is why I am in twists.

I do monthly henna or henna gloss treatments (helps loosen my new-growth), add black strap molasses to my DC's sometimes (this helps soften my new-growth) and I use Aloe Vera Juice to Detangle. So far, those are the only things that really helped me when I'm not in braids and twists.

molasses and honey are both humectants and attract moisture into the strands. Definitely a must in any moisturizing DC. I've started adding aloe juice to my regular conditioners because it definitely helps with detangling. Which brand of henna do you use? And, are you natural? TIA

I'm SO wanting to get my hair braided but, I don't trust anyone to "gently" braid my hair. Everyone I know braids so hard. Yowch! If I can just learn to cornrow my own hair, it would be game over!

Anyone know of any good tutorials. I've watched a few on youtube but just can't seem to get it. I can braid other's hair but not my own.

Ms. D
08-09-2011, 09:21 PM
@NJoy- I use Karishma Henna- I love it! I used to use Jamila, but Karishma contains pure henna, amla, shikakai, aritha, bhringraj and selected herbs...so far so good. I also Indigo- Well I haven't since Nov. because I'm in constant PS's. I love the Jet black color it produces though!
No, I'm not natural...just a long term stretcher. I just love protective styling.

If I find some good braiding YT vids. I'll pass it on. If I were a camera person, I would do a tutorial to help people out. When it comes to braids, I think it's best if people do it themselves, unless they find a great braider/stylist, to avoid any set-backs

Divalicious
08-10-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm 17 wks post texlax. I've been on my HJ since '09 and have tried to transition a few times. For now I'm going to just continue stretching my relaxers as long as I can. If I can reach a year stretching, then I'll probably transition. So far so good.

NJoy
08-13-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm 17 wks post on Tuesday. But, because my last texlax was a light texlaxing, my hair's acting much further along. I know from experience that my hair starts giving me problems around 20 wks post. Well, I'm having problems now. I made a blog post entitled "Mayhem". I'm going to try to detangle my hair today. If it works out ok, I'll flat iron my "lightly texlaxed sections" so that I can get my hair braided. If I have a hard time, I'm going to do a corrective to get rid of the texlaxed hair.

I'll still stretch my relaxers but won't bother with lightly texlaxing again. And I'll build up my relaxed hair with henna and adding Silk to my DCing. My ng is fine. I don't think the tangling is my natural hair at all so, maybe I'll transition to natural....after I reach my length goal. :cool:

*sigh* Not really feeling like detangling right now. Ah well.

How's everyone else doing? How far along are you? And how long are you planning to stretch your relaxers?

Ms. D
08-14-2011, 10:18 PM
@ NJoy-I know exactly how you feel! I'm 14 weeks post, but my last relaxer was severly underprocessed so I feel like I'm 6 months post!
I also think about transtioning around this point of my stretch every time. How are you getting your hair braided?

I took out my last set of twists Friday night then did a Henna Treatment (Henna, Black Tea, Olive Oil and Castor Oil) then did an Indigo Treatment (Indigo, salt and water) then DC'd.
My hair actually felt really strong and soft...very easy to detangle...but I went right back in twists which I'll keep in for 2 weeks. My plan is to relax at 18 weeks post, but who knows now. Whenever I see some-one 2 years post relaxer and their newgrowth is APL or beyond..I think, "I can do that!"

NJoy
08-15-2011, 12:00 AM
I've been detangling all night, girl, and STILL not finished. While I was detangling, it ocurred to me that using milk to loosen curl pattern in ng works but causes buildup. I wonder if I should've clarified.

I plan to finish detangling, clarify, DC, blowout or flat iron my roots and get my hair braided, as planned. If I can't get it braided, then I will go ahead and do a corrective relaxer. I might be easier for me to deal with 2 textures than 3. I did get a chance to see my natural texture in the ng and lightly texlaxed sections, and it was delicious!!! I'm definitely planning to transition at some point. I think I'd like to reach my goal length first tho. I really should get a henna/indigo in too. Gotta see where I plan to fit that in. I may do that after my touch up. Gotta kick that one around. I really NEED that indigo. I have some grays calling me out in my hairline....bad! :giggle:

Ms. D
08-15-2011, 04:20 PM
^^^ How often do you detangle? That sounds like sooo much work..but then again, I can relate! But with all that hair you have, I doubt it's as painful as my detangling sessions. But I keep my hair stretched via cornrows, braids and twists to avoid matting and tangles since I am on a no direct heat diet until December.

NJoy
08-16-2011, 10:50 AM
^^^ How often do you detangle? That sounds like sooo much work..but then again, I can relate! But with all that hair you have, I doubt it's as painful as my detangling sessions. But I keep my hair stretched via cornrows, braids and twists to avoid matting and tangles since I am on a no direct heat diet until December.

I mostly finger detangle when cowashing. I detangle with a comb as needed. But, I had my hair in Pocahontas braids and neglected for about 4 or 5 days straight. Prior to that, I'd used a milk mixture to loosen the curl pattern in my ng area. I think my hair freaked out because I lightly texlaxed 17 wks ago. With my last stretch, it just acts up right around 5 months post so, my hair is acting like it's around that time now.

I don't use heat usually. I did flat iron my roots in June for my length check and then two or three times last year. I REALLY want to get my hair braided but don't know anyone that gently braids. I can braid but when braiding my own hair, my cornrows turn out like mini french braids. That just may have to work.

Today, I'm going to clarify, use a yogurt/honey DC to loosen the curn pattern and blow out or flat iron my roots and try to braid it up. I was threatening to end my stretch but, I'll have to let my hair rest from the trauma of this 3-day detangling nightmare. My hair has grown but, I don't know what damage the detangling has done. I really have to do a better job at stretching my hair so that it doesn't mat. :wallbash:

I'm trying to decide exactly when I'll end this stretch. I don't want to wait til it's too late. With the last stretch, I had 3 detangling nightmares before I finally gave up the ghost. I think my ends are thinner because of it. No need to take the risk. I just want to reach hip length by the end of this year. I'll figure it out after that.

NJoy
08-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Now that I'm beyond the last detangling nightmare and my emotions have settled down, I've decided to continue with my stretch. I'm sneaking up on 18 wks post and determined to hang in there for as long as I can. I'm planning to focus on understanding and nurturing my natural hair as it comes in with the hopes of transitioning to natural. 38 wks is my longest stretch. Let's see how this goes. To assist in my efforts, I'm equipping myself with staples to keep the detangling nightmares at bay. So, I've just ordered the seamless Magic Star Jumbo Rake for detangling and I'm searching for the alltime BEST detangler.

So for now, the stretch continues! :cool:

NJoy
08-27-2011, 11:31 PM
18.5 weeks post today and still going strong. I did a thorough detangling yesterday using the technique posted in the detangling video posted. Wonderful experience with barely any hair lost. Oh, and I just received my new seamless detangling comb in the mail today so, the stretch continues and I'm ready. :cool:

Ms. D
08-27-2011, 11:39 PM
18.5 weeks post today and still going strong. I did a thorough detangling yesterday using the technique posted in the detangling video posted. Wonderful experience with barely any hair lost. Oh, and I just received my new seamless detangling comb in the mail today so, the stretch continues and I'm ready. :cool:

That's great! What detangling video are you referring to?

I ended my stretch yesterday at 16 weeks post, but I was left underprocessed. It could be for a variety of reasons:

1) I added Oil and Silk Amino Acids to the Normal Lye ORS Relaxer
2.) I didn't smooth enough
3.) The vaseline base got on my new-growth..

Who knows. But some parts of my hair look like this _____ZZZZZZZ________
So it's straight, texlaxed/underprocessed and straight.
Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

I'm thinking of bunning for 3 weeks..then going back in braids and twists for a month or so, then getting a corrective relaxer from my old stylist.

NJoy
08-28-2011, 02:17 AM

I ended my stretch yesterday at 16 weeks post, but I was left underprocessed. It could be for a variety of reasons:

I'm thinking of bunning for 3 weeks..then going back in braids and twists for a month or so, then getting a corrective relaxer from my old stylist.

Awe man. Were you trying to bonelax? Adding oil and silk amino acids probably is the culprit for slowing down the processing. But, you got straight at the roots? Wow. If it were zzzzzz______, I'd say do a corrective but, how to get that section without overlapping? How much at the root area is straight and how long did you leave the relaxer in?

Oh, and here's the video that I was referring to.

http://youtu.be/ZjORF5s00RI

Ms. D
08-28-2011, 08:58 AM
@ NJoy- Thanks!!

No, I wasn't trying to bonelax. I like some texture left in my hair. The part of my hair that looks like ____ZZZZ____ is mainly in the back(there are other areas too though). I did start with that section first, because it was underprocessed before, but I underestimated how far down I had to bring the relaxer. Which is why some of the roots are straight and the middle is underprocessed.
I left the relaxer in for 25 minutes. It took me about 18 to apply to whole head and the remainder was smoothing. But I must say, my hair is extremely tightly coiled, so I probably should have either went to a stylist after a stretch or left out the oil and SAA.
I'm hoping after doing a henna treatment(mixed with an egg) or a protein treatment, the straighter parts...won't be too straight anymore. (wishful thinking)
I'm going to ride it out to avoid overprocessing and just tweek my regimen. So, only wash once a week and blow-dry on high/cool air to stretch the underprocessed areas out.

Thanks for responding NJoy, I really appreciatte it!!!

NJoy
09-06-2011, 02:15 AM
20 wks post today and doing fine. I'm going to continue on til 24 wks post and then decide whether to texlax or to keep going. If I keep going, it will monitor my hair closely and try to make it to the the 1 yr mark. If I make it that far, then I will officially consider myself transitioning. My last stretch ended at 38 wks. We'll see how long I can last this time.

NJoy
09-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Well, I'm 23 wks post and can already tell you that I'm not going to relax at 24 weeks. My hair seems to be doing fine. I still have my hair in 10 braids. It's working for me and I wig it when I need a "real" hairstyle. This is definitely low manipulation so, there's no breakage in sight.

I have noticed that my ng is coming in tighter. I don't know if that's because I've changed brands and lowered the dosage on the msm that I'm taking or what but, it's definitely different. I think I'm going to DC in braids today just to make sure that my hair is getting sufficient moisture in the strands.

I've started using Afro Detangler as a leave in. My braids feel soft. I'm still undecided about whether or not this will be a staple.

I've also started taking Diatomaceous Earth (DE) again. It gave me a growth spurt when I first used it but, the main benefit for me was that it brought my allergies under control. I'm typing this with a waning sinus headache. I'm hoping DE will help me with these allergies again.

In the meantime, it has lots of silica in it and my nails are growing like crazy. Let's hope my hair is too. I'd love for my hair to grow past HL so that I can cut back to thicken my hemline. I've already cut an inch off the ends of my braids so, I'm no longer at HL. But, again, I hope.

NJoy
10-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Well, I haven't been consistent with taking DE at all. And Afro Detangler is...well...let's just say, I won't be reordering. :hand:

I'm still stretching. I'm 26 wks post and still in cornrows. I picked up some henna so, at some point I'll henna. I'll likely henna before I texlax. I'm trying to plan all that out now. Today, I have to take dad to his dr appt so, I'll DC under a cap and scarf. Maybe I'll follow that with an oil rinse and henna on Saturday. Who knows.

Just kicking around some ideas and trying to come up with a plan.

I hope all is well. ~NJoy

Ms. D
11-04-2011, 10:33 PM
@NJoy- Have you already used the Magic Star Jumbo Rake Comb? If so, how do you like it? I'm only about 11 weeks post, but I'm thinking of ordering it to help with detangling.

NJoy
11-06-2011, 06:54 PM
@NJoy- Have you already used the Magic Star Jumbo Rake Comb? If so, how do you like it? I'm only about 11 weeks post, but I'm thinking of ordering it to help with detangling.

Meh. It's ok. No real "magic", like I was expecting but, I guess I haven't used it much either. I do use it exclusively for my detangling (whenever I do use a comb to detangle( because it doesn't snag. But, I feel like I should've gotten a medium-tooth comb too and I'm doing more finger detangling than anything else.

I think it would work much better for someone who's completely natural. So, eventually I may change my opinion. But for these two textures and the small tangles in the relaxed portion? Meh.

Ms. D
11-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Meh. It's ok. No real "magic", like I was expecting but, I guess I haven't used it much either. I do use it exclusively for my detangling (whenever I do use a comb to detangle( because it doesn't snag. But, I feel like I should've gotten a medium-tooth comb too and I'm doing more finger detangling than anything else.

I think it would work much better for someone who's completely natural. So, eventually I may change my opinion. But for these two textures and the small tangles in the relaxed portion? Meh.

Darn it. I already bought it! LOL. Hopefully it works like Magic for me. But I guess a seamless comb is a good investment regardless if it detangles better than my jilbere shower comb or not.

NJoy
11-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Checking in at 29 weeks post.

NJoy
11-11-2011, 09:53 AM
I'll be 30 wks on Tuesday. I guess it's time to start considering when I'll do my next texlax.

Shasha Crock
11-19-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm 11 weeks post trying to stretch til New Year's but its difficult because my new growth is a tangled mess. I ordered Silicon Mix so hopefully that will help. I also made some aloe vera, rosewater and glycerin spritz to moisturize my ng and it helps a lot. Any other tip would be greatly appreciated.

NJoy
11-21-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm 31 wks today and planning to hold on til the end of the year to texlax. But, my anniversary is coming up and hubby has been asking me to wear my hair out. Should I texlax or just flat iron? Either way I'm going to end up flat ironing (which I don't like doing because it takes too much time). I may just go ahead and texlax this week, flat iron next week, let that be my end of the year length check and then BC my bonelaxed at the end of the year. I'm just thinking outloud. I have no idea what to do. Anyone have any suggestions?

tweety
12-11-2011, 12:55 AM

:hiya: i know this is an old post, but i just went through the same thing with my relaxer. for the last 2 relaxers before this one i was left underprocessed in certain areas. so i said ok lemme switch relaxers and try something new maybe my hair just needed a change. so i switched relaxers and it was like you had described _____zzzzz_____ in some areas especially in the back. and in other areas its zzzzz______. i couldnt even leave it in long because it started burning, i havent experienced burning in years! I'm trying to figure out why is my hair not responding like it used to? i've been going to my stylist for a few years now but the last 3 relaxers did not take fully. i started my hj last year and started stretching longer, is that the reason? smh idk but all i know is i don't want any setbacks and im not sure if i want her to do anything else to my hair, but i know i need to fix this. will be 5 weeks post next week. ughhhhh my hair is like soooooooo soft and fragile also i hope its not overprocessed a little, along with being underprocessed also:pray: im very surprised because my hair relaxes fairly quickly and its fine and i have a sensitive scalp, so i was wondering why its not catching like it should? i just did a protein treatment tuesday because my hair was coming out at the touch. im just getting my scalp in order after it started peeling like 2 weeks after the relaxer now this....smh...im thinking i should do weekly protein treatments for a while..any suggestions? calling allllll divas!!!! hahaha ughhhhhh this is a journey forreal whyyyyyyyyy?????

NJoy
12-11-2011, 07:31 PM
:hiya: i know this is an old post, but i just went through the same thing with my relaxer. for the last 2 relaxers before this one i was left underprocessed in certain areas. so i said ok lemme switch relaxers and try something new maybe my hair just needed a change. so i switched relaxers and it was like you had described _____zzzzz_____ in some areas especially in the back. and in other areas its zzzzz______. i couldnt even leave it in long because it started burning, i havent experienced burning in years! I'm trying to figure out why is my hair not responding like it used to? i've been going to my stylist for a few years now but the last 3 relaxers did not take fully. i started my hj last year and started stretching longer, is that the reason? smh idk but all i know is i don't want any setbacks and im not sure if i want her to do anything else to my hair, but i know i need to fix this. will be 5 weeks post next week. ughhhhh my hair is like soooooooo soft and fragile also i hope its not overprocessed a little, along with being underprocessed also:pray: im very surprised because my hair relaxes fairly quickly and its fine and i have a sensitive scalp, so i was wondering why its not catching like it should? i just did a protein treatment tuesday because my hair was coming out at the touch. im just getting my scalp in order after it started peeling like 2 weeks after the relaxer now this....smh...im thinking i should do weekly protein treatments for a while..any suggestions? calling allllll divas!!!! hahaha ughhhhhh this is a journey forreal whyyyyyyyyy?????

I'm wondering if this is your cue to consider going natural. (just a thought)

Otherwise, lay out your whole routine for about a week prior to your relaxers and the info on the relaxer switch. I'll try to help you figure this out...if I can.

tweety
12-11-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm wondering if this is your cue to consider going natural. (just a thought)

Otherwise, lay out your whole routine for about a week prior to your relaxers and the info on the relaxer switch. I'll try to help you figure this out...if I can.

the only thing i can think of is i started the sulfur mix that was new to my reggie, but i stopped using it 2 weeks prior to relaxing, maybe i needed to wait longer than that being that im like super sensitive. also i was using groaut oil which has msm in for my previous 2 relaxers that were underprocessed in certain areas. idk NJoy maybe my hair is just not diggin them anymore i was thinking of going natural before but idk if i can stick it out...the thing is that i've been going to my stylist for a few years and just the last 3 relaxers i've had underprocessing in. i know it needs to be corrected but at this point im nervous of putting any chemicals in it at all. will be 5 weeks this week and i dont like to relax frequently at all, thats why i started stretching longer. maybe she just can't handle my ng? idk...but this last new relaxer was supposed to be sensitive and it was hardly sensitive at all (for me anyways). she wanted me to try my old one again and she said she would make sure to smooth it real good but i was using it for a few years now and i just wanted a change. so she said there's only one other one she would use on me and thats about it because of my hair. the funny thing is is that my hair takes no time to catch at all! thats why she doesnt even need to leave it in long at all, but that has not been the case lately. my scalp still feels a lil funky and i usually put oils on after i wash but im just letting it breath for right now. also i noticed the peeling on the side in front of my hair today that i was getting under control. idk NJoy....

well i washed today and did an acv rinse followed by my ubh deep conditioner, i did aphogee 2 min on tuesday, and i dusted my ends last night to get rid of the raggedy ends. i just dont want my hair to be all coming out where its like telaxed, because my hair was coming out at the touch this week and thats when i did the 2 min. thanks for responding i really appreciate it:bighug:

oh..the new relaxer was alter ego's linange shea butter (supposed to be sensitive) many ladies say it doesn't burn and they love it, even the lye version
the previous one was using is called es (everystrand) sensitive scalp relaxer regular (which never burned, i think one time i felt a slight tingle or 2) It was nice in the beginning but it was new i guess but after a while i didn't see where it was like flowy and i just wanted to try something new.

NJoy
12-11-2011, 08:57 PM
the only thing i can think of is i started the sulfur mix that was new to my reggie, but i stopped using it 2 weeks prior to relaxing, maybe i needed to wait longer than that being that im like super sensitive. also i was using groaut oil which has msm in for my previous 2 relaxers that were underprocessed in certain areas. idk NJoy maybe my hair is just not diggin them anymore i was thinking of going natural before but idk if i can stick it out...the thing is that i've been going to my stylist for a few years and just the last 3 relaxers i've had underprocessing in. i know it needs to be corrected but at this point im nervous of putting any chemicals in it at all. will be 5 weeks this week and i dont like to relax frequently at all, thats why i started stretching longer. maybe she just can't handle my ng? idk...but this last new relaxer was supposed to be sensitive and it was hardly sensitive at all (for me anyways). she wanted me to try my old one again and she said she would make sure to smooth it real good but i was using it for a few years now and i just wanted a change. so she said there's only one other one she would use on me and thats about it because of my hair. the funny thing is is that my hair takes no time to catch at all! thats why she doesnt even need to leave it in long at all, but that has not been the case lately. my scalp still feels a lil funky and i usually put oils on after i wash but im just letting it breath for right now. also i noticed the peeling on the side in front of my hair today that i was getting under control. idk NJoy....

well i washed today and did an acv rinse followed by my ubh deep conditioner, i did aphogee 2 min on tuesday, and i dusted my ends last night to get rid of the raggedy ends. i just dont want my hair to be all coming out where its like telaxed, because my hair was coming out at the touch this week and thats when i did the 2 min. thanks for responding i really appreciate it:bighug:

oh..the new relaxer was alter ego's linange shea butter (supposed to be sensitive) many ladies say it doesn't burn and they love it, even the lye version
the previous one was using is called es (everystrand) sensitive scalp relaxer regular (which never burned, i think one time i felt a slight tingle or 2) It was nice in the beginning but it was new i guess but after a while i didn't see where it was like flowy and i just wanted to try something new.

Wow. That all sounds like a mystery although I know there has to be a reason behind it. Are you using silk amino acids at all? Or any heavy oils on your hair prior to your relaxer treatments? The relaxer raises the cuticles to allows the protein bonds to break down. I'm just trying to see if there's anything that's being done to hinder or lessen the raising of the cuticles.

Or maybe your hair is just saying NO MORE CHEMICALS!!! So ladies are forced to go natural for the health of their hair. Maybe you're one of them.

And, if you're having scalp issues, maybe you really should go have a dermatologist take a look. You need a healthy scalp to grow healthy hair. And, as for your soft, fragile hair now, I think the protein treatments will help. Henna is a natural alternative to building up the hair's strength too.

Lastly, maybe it's an issue with your stylist not getting all of your new growth. She should be able to see it but, since you're stretching and you have previous "texlaxed" hair added into the mix, there's a possibility that she can't make heads or tails of what needs to be processed and just trying to relax all of it. Maybe the new growth, since you've started taking care of it and using sulfurs and oils, is coming in more coarse and not responding the way that she's used to for your hair. Maybe she's using a milder relaxer since she's used to your hair being "sensitive" and that's leaving the new growth underprocessed while her overlapping the previously underprocessed hair is causing that to be straighter. And if there's been 3 relaxings and she decided to process all of what's not straight, that would overprocess the oldest previously relaxed (possibly now for the 3rd time) part and causing breakage there.

I'm just trying to throw out some scenarios for consideration. That would certainly cause under- and overprocessing at the same time. We know about texlaxing and how it comes out as underprocessed. But a hairstylist who's used to bonelaxing may be focused on getting you bonelaxed and not used to dealing with "texlaxed" hair.

I know when I first did my first couple texlaxes, I always feel disappointed, like I didn't do a good job and plan to do a corrective. It takes me a minute before I realize that this was intentional and how it's supposed to look and feel. I'm NOT trying to get a bonelaxed result like I'm used to. I have to consciously decide not to go back over the previously underprocessed hair, remembering that's the whole point.

Just some thoughts to kick around. But, in the meantime, build up your hair's strength to preserve what you have. And don't forget to check your protein-moisture balance with a strand of your shed hair. Wet it and slightly pull it to see how soon it breaks. If it snaps right away, you need moisture. If it stretches a good bit before breaking, you need protein. If it's somewhere in the middle, a little give but not too much, your balanced. Watch that and baby your hair back to health. Oh, and make sure you've switched to a low manipulation style and lay off the heat.

Nobody knows your hair better than you. If that statement's not true for you, then do something about it. Listen to your hair and nurse it back to health. Oh, and kick around that natural option. I know firsthand that that's not easy to consider when you've had the ease of relaxed hair for a long time. But, your hair may need it...for now.

tweety
12-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Wow. That all sounds like a mystery although I know there has to be a reason behind it. Are you using silk amino acids at all? Or any heavy oils on your hair prior to your relaxer treatments? The relaxer raises the cuticles to allows the protein bonds to break down. I'm just trying to see if there's anything that's being done to hinder or lessen the raising of the cuticles.

Or maybe your hair is just saying NO MORE CHEMICALS!!! So ladies are forced to go natural for the health of their hair. Maybe you're one of them.

And, if you're having scalp issues, maybe you really should go have a dermatologist take a look. You need a healthy scalp to grow healthy hair. And, as for your soft, fragile hair now, I think the protein treatments will help. Henna is a natural alternative to building up the hair's strength too.

Lastly, maybe it's an issue with your stylist not getting all of your new growth. She should be able to see it but, since you're stretching and you have previous "texlaxed" hair added into the mix, there's a possibility that she can't make heads or tails of what needs to be processed and just trying to relax all of it. Maybe the new growth, since you've started taking care of it and using sulfurs and oils, is coming in more coarse and not responding the way that she's used to for your hair. Maybe she's using a milder relaxer since she's used to your hair being "sensitive" and that's leaving the new growth underprocessed while her overlapping the previously underprocessed hair is causing that to be straighter. And if there's been 3 relaxings and she decided to process all of what's not straight, that would overprocess the oldest previously relaxed (possibly now for the 3rd time) part and causing breakage there.

I'm just trying to throw out some scenarios for consideration. That would certainly cause under- and overprocessing at the same time. We know about texlaxing and how it comes out as underprocessed. But a hairstylist who's used to bonelaxing may be focused on getting you bonelaxed and not used to dealing with "texlaxed" hair.

I know when I first did my first couple texlaxes, I always feel disappointed, like I didn't do a good job and plan to do a corrective. It takes me a minute before I realize that this was intentional and how it's supposed to look and feel. I'm NOT trying to get a bonelaxed result like I'm used to. I have to consciously decide not to go back over the previously underprocessed hair, remembering that's the whole point.

Just some thoughts to kick around. But, in the meantime, build up your hair's strength to preserve what you have. And don't forget to check your protein-moisture balance with a strand of your shed hair. Wet it and slightly pull it to see how soon it breaks. If it snaps right away, you need moisture. If it stretches a good bit before breaking, you need protein. If it's somewhere in the middle, a little give but not too much, your balanced. Watch that and baby your hair back to health. Oh, and make sure you've switched to a low manipulation style and lay off the heat.

Nobody knows your hair better than you. If that statement's not true for you, then do something about it. Listen to your hair and nurse it back to health. Oh, and kick around that natural option. I know firsthand that that's not easy to consider when you've had the ease of relaxed hair for a long time. But, your hair may need it...for now.

i've never used silk amino acids but alot of ladies rave about it though...i try not to try too many things i did a BTR that messed my balance up a few months ago and i will never do that again! i use a mix of of 3 oils and i add only a lil bit of jbco in it when im not using the groaut or sulfur mix. thats about it besides exercising. im pretty much basic in my reggie i don't have a lot going on except for poo, con, deep con, and protein which im getting back on the ball with. i air dry always i don't use direct heat at all. i might roller set here or there on my own but when i go to salon i roller set. i can't really stand beaing under he dryer so air drying works perfectly! lol...i dont really touch my hair after i wash it except to unravel my hair for my braid outs or a bun, i can't style my hair for nothing so i just leave it alone. ummmm so far as the scalp goes this is all recent that i noticed it after the relaxer, never had problems before at all. its still healing and not nearly as bad but its almost like a tingly sensitive tight feel. idk how to explain it but i can see it mostly on my hair strands than the scalp itself. will definitely follow up with doc if still persists its been about 2 weeks now of doing this.
i was thinking about going natural just to be more health conscious and everything but i just don't know how to handle that. and transitioning would be even more frustrating! i've read of some ladies going natural and then end up relaxing because they cant deal with it. my gf went natural because her last relaxer made her lose clumps of hair and thinned it out. my other gf is natural and the relaxer just straight up didn't take at all. that's just crazy and its like a waste of time and money you know? im just frustrated cux this wasn't my intent to have straight roots in some places and texlaxed and straight again in other places. i honestly applaud you ladies because i'm tripping right now because to me me having 3 textures is hard let alone 2! so i have my baby ng coming in with textlax then straight hair. smh...i've never tried henna and i wouldn't know the first thing about it! lol

what do i do about the texlaxed hair? should i do a 2 minute like every other week or so? before it was just a few places that didn't catch with the previous relaxer, but now its like the whole back and lil in the front. i checked my balance and some strand snap quick, others not so quick and some don't break at all. ughhhhhh the saga continues girl who knows? smh....its like my hair is all messed up now, im really frustrated but tyring to remain calm because i really took care of my hair and so great progress now look at it...smh

tweety
12-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Ok so I've decided to make the transition and I feel good about it! Been thinkn bout it for some time now was just scary to do, but here we go! :) it will also help my lil girl embrace her texture. She always says she wants her hair straight and long. If she sees mommy hair like hers I think she will feel better. Time for change! Wish me luck :)

NJoy
01-06-2012, 01:40 AM
How are things going, Tweety? Checking on ya.

tweety
01-09-2012, 06:36 PM
So far so good thanks. Which henna/indigo do you use? I would like to try it from what I've read mehandi.com is good and also hennasooq. Are you familiar with them? Does hennasooq really dry your hair out? I'm leaning more towards the one from mehandi because everything is in one kit. Thanks!

NJoy
01-09-2012, 07:55 PM
So far so good thanks. Which henna/indigo do you use? I would like to try it from what I've read mehandi.com is good and also hennasooq. Are you familiar with them? Does hennasooq really dry your hair out? I'm leaning more towards the one from mehandi because everything is in one kit. Thanks!

I get my indigo from mehandi. I also used Jamilla from them too. I've since started using henna that I purchased from a local international market. I wanna say it's Reshma or Hesh but, I can't remember offhand. And honestly, I'm too tired to get up to go and check. I'll post later but, I wanted to comment that it was more finely sifted than Jamillah.

Also, per the instructions from mehandi, I mixed lemon juice with my henna. :nono: I won't do that again. It was very drying. I now mix with chamomille tea but, water is fine. Also, before using, I add honey so that it's the consistency of pudding. That helps to make it more moisturizing than drying. And it rinses out better.

I've never tried hennasooq so, I have no feedback on that.

I've stocked up on indigo because I can only find it online AND I don't want to have to keep paying the ridiculous shipping costs.

Now that you've mentioned it, I really need to schedule my next henna treatment.

tweety
01-09-2012, 08:12 PM
thanks i was leaning more towards mehandi so thanks. good thing u mentioned the lemon juice because they suggest that or apple cider if i remember correctly. honey does nothing for me at all my hair feels all funny one time was enough for me. i guess i will just do a great moisturizing deep condition afterwards...do you always have to do henna everytime before you indigo? or can you go a while w/o doing it and just indigo? i know you can't do indigo solely alone because your hair won't come out right but i was just curious if its ok to use it alone after your original henna. it seems as if they go hand in hand all time, and you cant do one w/o the other. how often do you do yours? placing my order in a few! :)

NJoy
01-09-2012, 08:48 PM
thanks i was leaning more towards mehandi so thanks. good thing u mentioned the lemon juice because they suggest that or apple cider if i remember correctly. honey does nothing for me at all my hair feels all funny one time was enough for me. i guess i will just do a great moisturizing deep condition afterwards...do you always have to do henna everytime before you indigo? or can you go a while w/o doing it and just indigo? i know you can't do indigo solely alone because your hair won't come out right but i was just curious if its ok to use it alone after your original henna. it seems as if they go hand in hand all time, and you cant do one w/o the other. how often do you do yours? placing my order in a few! :)

You have to henna before indigo. The indigo stains the henna that's deposited on the hair. I wish tho.

tweety
01-09-2012, 09:27 PM
You have to henna before indigo. The indigo stains the henna that's deposited on the hair. I wish tho.

Ok gotcha! And yes it looks like a process and time consuming but at least its natural so that's what's counts. I was like oh my, this is deep! Lol... I saw this other kit by light mountain hair color and I saw a video on it and it looked like a 1 step process like a regular rinse/dye type of application. It's $6.99 also...hmmmm...lol

NJoy
01-12-2012, 12:18 AM
I'm losing track. I'm 38 wks post texlax and doing well. Trying to stretch to 52 wks post and then decide at that point whether to relax or if I'm officially transitioning. I ended my last stretch at 38 wks, mainly because I had encounted 3 major detangling nightmares. I was under a lot of stress with my mom being sick and just not taking care of my hair. This time around, I'm stretching like a champ. No problems whatsoever. :clap2:

NJoy
02-13-2012, 11:01 PM
I'll be 43 wks post texlax tomorrow. Forty-three weeks! Wow! I'm in deep! I'm more than a month beyond my longest stretch and I'm trying to decide what's next. I honestly don't want to bother relaxing. But at the same time, I'd like to wear my hair straight, and allowing my length to show, but I don't want to have to keep flat ironing. Maybe rollersetting, huh? Girl, I can't do that. I can't sit under a dryer for the time that it takes to dry my hair. Relaxed was long enough. I can only imagine how much longer it will take now. :nerves:

I look at ladies like HairCrush who works twists and looks great. But, when I think of twists for myself, I think of impending detangling nightmares. I'm really hoping I can get a decent set with curlformers. Then there's hope for me. Other than that, what can I do? what will I do.

What are you ladies doing? And how's your stretch going? Anyone planning to or officially decided to transition? Details! Don't leave me trying to figure this thing out for myself. I want to know what you think and what you're going thru.

tweety
02-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Haircrush has beautifulllll hair! I'm still hanging in there, just tryna figure out what to do so far as styling goes. Not into the wigs, and I really don't trust anyone to braid my hair. Once I figure that out it will be better.

NJoy
03-02-2012, 08:46 PM
So I've been pretty much keeping my hair in Celie braids, which don't look so crazy at longer lengths with the ends curles. I usually have a scarf tied around the edges like a headband and the braids hanging or pinned up. Oh, and I finally realized that I can NOT detangle in the shower. I wash, DC and moisturize my hair in braids, put Crisco on the ends (which keeps the ends of my braids from tangling. A BIG issue for me) and let it airdry. Then I'm able to easily detangle. THIS is the thing that has been saving me from tangles and matting.

I tried curlformers for the first time and that worked very well. And I'm remembering to stay on top of my protein game.

I'm not having any shedding or major breakage issues like I was the first time around. Of course, I'm not under the same stress this time around either.

I went to see Diana Ross in concert last night and tried to do a twist out. My straight ends ruined the effect so I ended up putting my hair in a big, juicy bun. This is the first time that I've had my hair out of Celie braids or twists in a minute. But, because of a really good moisturizing DC, my hair is so friggen soft, fluffy and manageable now.

Check out my basic bun (with no forms, fillers or clip tricks):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/tonia1c/028-1.jpg

Taking my hair out of those twists after that DC (I did use Joico Kpak before the overnight DC), my hair looked so full and amazing! That's enough to keep me stretching. Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a transition. It seems to be going very well right now.

I noticed that my bonelaxed ends like to tangle with my texlaxed/natural textures so, I Crisco after adding my moisturizers all of the bonelaxed portion. My hair after airdrying slides right out of any tangles.

growlonghair1
04-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Can anyone give me tips on how to stretch my relaxers? I am currently 13 weeks and my ng is real tight. Is there products that I can use to loosen up my curl pattern to have a smooth stretch?

NJoy
04-06-2012, 12:14 AM
I add yogurt (regular. not lowfat) and coconut cream to my DC. That helps to loosen the curl pattern. I've heard others used coconut and lime juice too.

It's a little messy so, you'll definitely need to use a plastic cap for your DC, since the yogurt breaks down. But it works well for me.

Generally speaking, keep your ng moisturized and stretched, if possible. I have to keep my ng stretched. Braiding, twisting and banding are some stretching techniques. Because if I don't stretch my hair... :nerves:

Some people have to blowout or flat iron their ng. If you choose to go that route, make sure you use a good heat protectant. But non-heat is the way to go if you can.

hope that helps.

NJoy
04-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Ok! I'm 52 wks post today! Wow! Who knew? I just made a blog post. Thought I'd share.