PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in braids for ps?

Afro_Chic
06-27-2011, 10:17 PM
I've been wearing my hair in braids for the past 3 weeks. I plan to wear braids for a month at a time, let it rest for a week and then back in braids. Hopefully this will keep me out of my hair and help me to make it to my next goal.

I wash and condition in braids and use African Royale BRX Braid Spray and aloe juice mix. This is my first time trying this reggie.

If you're using braids as a ps, what's your reggie?

ebsalita
08-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Hi Afro_chicI am not in braids at the moment but was for 2 years up until April. i would do three month runs and put them rght back in again. I washed and conditioned the braids at least twice a week using good old head and shoulders hydrating shampoo and conditioner.i didnt use moisturisers or braid sprays; if my hair felt dry i washed and conditioned it and it was soft as a baby's i kept it simple and my hair thanked me JMHO.How is your hair doimg with your current regimen?

Afro_Chic
08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
So far, so good. I think I really like keeping my hair in braids. It's hot this summer so, this is perfect for me. I wash and condition my hair once a week and rinse my braids in between washings. My hair is in cornrows so to keep it neat, I make sure to wear a satin scarf at night to keep the fuzzies away. I also use the braid spray mix for daily moisture and seal it in with jojoba. I use castor and jojoba on my ends.

Bella
08-01-2011, 03:42 PM
So far, so good. I think I really like keeping my hair in braids. It's hot this summer so, this is perfect for me. I wash and condition my hair once a week and rinse my braids in between washings. My hair is in cornrows so to keep it neat, I make sure to wear a satin scarf at night to keep the fuzzies away. I also use the braid spray mix for daily moisture and seal it in with jojoba. I use castor and jojoba on my ends.

Sounds like a good regi. I'm thinking of braiding my hair up for the summer too. I'm looking for a low maintenance ps. This may be it. I worry about frizzy edges whenever i think of braids. But, cornrows with a satin scarf sounds like something that I need in my life. Thanks.

ebsalita
08-03-2011, 03:16 AM
Sounds like your hair is doing well in braids - they did fantastically for me too and yes if you treat the braids right they can stay looking great for surprisingly long time. I found that the regular washing helped my hair to curl up and contract so that any flyaways disappeared and the style looked neat again - I hope you get what I mean here, lol!

NJoy
08-03-2011, 02:21 PM
I WISH I could get my hair cornrowed. I'm so tenderheaded tho. And I can't cornrow my own hair. I wish.

Ms. D
08-03-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm in individual braids right now. I have had them in for almost 5 weeks and I am already dying to get them out. My plan is to keep them in for 8 weeks.

My Regimen is:

Wash and Condition bi-weekly (with diluted shampoo, and a moisturizing conditioner then I apply leave in to my braids)
Spray braids twice daily with African Pride Bray Spray or Water/Sealing with Hot 6 Oil
Spray braids once weekly with Aphogee Grean Tea Keratin Spray
Spray Scalp every AM with (Aloe Vera Juice mixed with Castor Oil, Eucalyptus and Peppermint Oil)
Oil Scalp Nightly with my Sulfur Mix
Baggy head nightly then tight a satin scarf over it

I haven't redone my edges yet, but because they are messy now, I keep a headband covering the front daily.

My braids at installation (I do them myself which is why they are kind of big)

My New-Growth at 3 weeks post

NJoy
08-04-2011, 12:48 PM
^^^ Nice job on the braids. :thumb:

mividabella
11-03-2011, 12:33 AM
I usually get my hair braided, but I really want to try extension braids (but I'm scared since it will be my first time). Do you have any tips?

NJoy
11-03-2011, 09:35 AM
I usually get my hair braided, but I really want to try extension braids (but I'm scared since it will be my first time). Do you have any tips?

Good question. I braid my hair without extensions because somehow I'm under the impression that extensions are bad for the hair. That can't be true tho because I personally know some who do great with extensions and swear by them. I'm really interested to hear what others have to say.

tweety
11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Hey ladies, I think a lot of women are kinda iffy about getting them because of the build up at the roots and when you try to take it out hair comes out. Some don't wash them at all because the style can mess up and start to look ragedy. I remember one time I had micros with wet n wavy human hair and when I went to wash them, the hair got all matted up. Maybe my technique was wrong...lol..but I would like to get them myself to help me out with my stretch because stretching really helped me in fullness and length but I'm not a big styler and styles just don't seem to look right when I try to do them on my own. The only time braid outs look nice is like right after a relaxer, either than that I need some help! Lol...I guess we just have to take care of it like we would do our regular hair, while protecting the style at the same time. Right about now my roots are getting too wild to tamper with and Ima have to relax just so I can manage my hair w/o breakage. It makes no sense to stretch if you end up losing hair. So yes, I'm willing to learn a few tips myself on braid maintenance :)

NJoy
11-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Hey ladies, I think a lot of women are kinda iffy about getting them because of the build up at the roots and when you try to take it out hair comes out. Some don't wash them at all because the style can mess up and start to look ragedy. I remember one time I had micros with wet n wavy human hair and when I went to wash them, the hair got all matted up. Maybe my technique was wrong...lol..but I would like to get them myself to help me out with my stretch because stretching really helped me in fullness and length but I'm not a big styler and styles just don't seem to look right when I try to do them on my own. The only time braid outs look nice is like right after a relaxer, either than that I need some help! Lol...I guess we just have to take care of it like we would do our regular hair, while protecting the style at the same time. Right about now my roots are getting too wild to tamper with and Ima have to relax just so I can manage my hair w/o breakage. It makes no sense to stretch if you end up losing hair. So yes, I'm willing to learn a few tips myself on braid maintenance :)

Tweety, it seems micros would be damaging to the hair. I'm always concerned when I see someone with micros because I think there's strength in numbers. So, the more hair in the braid, the more it's able to bear the weight of added hair. It just seems like ladies in micros should get a lot of breakage. Is that not true?

tweety
11-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Tweety, it seems micros would be damaging to the hair. I'm always concerned when I see someone with micros because I think there's strength in numbers. So, the more hair in the braid, the more it's able to bear the weight of added hair. It just seems like ladies in micros should get a lot of breakage. Is that not true?

Ummm that's a good analogy, and I could definitely see the logic in it. When I was wearing them I never experienced alot of breakage though, and this was before I even knew about a HJ. Since I knew how to braid, what I used to do was re-braid my edges for neatness sake so it never really accumulated alot of buildup. I tried to keep them moisturized if they looked dry, etc. The only thing that I couldn't get correct was washing them without it getting all matted up. Another thing I used to do was braid the middle portion bigger than the perimeter. I guess like with everything, it depends on how you take them out, and care for them while their in. I don't like for braids to be tight either, that's a no-no! I always used to get human hair also, which is lighter imo than synthetic. Also, some people don't braid all the way down and they tie it on a knot, which is another no-no. I always made sure the length of my hair was braided and I left a little out for the wavy look.

tallnomad
01-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Re: Happy New Year and Manifestations!

NJoy
01-06-2012, 03:46 PM
I wear my hair in 6-8 braids because the number is manageable for regular moisture/seal regi and to rebraid for neatness. But even with just these few braids, I was finding that my shed hairs slide down to the ends (somehow) and tangle my braids together. But, I've started putting Crisco on the ends of my braids so that I don't have that issue anymore.

The only thing that keeps me from going with more braids than that is the upkeep. I hate for braids to start looking fuzzy. Otherwise, I think if you kept your ends protected, there should be no problem with braids. But, that's just my opionion. Hopefully others will have some advice for you.